What's new

Shopping for an 88 key MIDI contoller

That's why I'm contemplating the Casio - has a few faders, plus knobs, plus pitch and mod wheels. On top of that, triple sensor hammer action.
I really appreciate the triple sensor on the CA-67, particularly when I'm playing classical stuff (I'm not terribly good at trills and the triple sensor helps), but to be honest for general MIDI controlling I haven't found I miss it. But if you're looking for a controller where you can play in serious piano performances, I can imagine why it'd be a worthy item add to the critera.

My main problem with the Casio PX-5S is ... the white parts. For some reason I just want my keyboards to be black. :)

I really appreciate the triple sensor on the CA-67, particularly when I'm playing classical stuff (I'm not terribly good at trills and the triple sensor helps), but to be honest for general MIDI controlling I haven't found I miss it. But if you're looking for a controller where you can play in serious piano performances, I can imagine why it'd be a worthy item add to the critera.

My main problem with the Casio PX-5S is ... the white parts. For some reason I just want my keyboards to be black. :)

Fair point :) I might need to adopt your setup - controller + piano vs. trying to consolidate. Do you use the Komplete Kontrol functionality? I do like having the LCDs with the knobs - so easy to remember parameters.

Do you use the Komplete Kontrol functionality? I do like having the LCDs with the knobs - so easy to remember parameters.
You know, I've not really gotten into using the NKS stuff at all. I've used the Controller Editor software to configure different presets (aka templates) for Spitfire and Sample Modelling, and I can tweak all the parameters I need from the encoders, while running the controller in what they call "MIDI mode" where it acts as a standard MIDI controller.

I can access the different templates quickly right from the keyboard. I suppose I'd not have to worry about switching presets if I'd used the NKS stuff, but it's not a heavy burden in practice and in any case most of my libraries don't yet support NKS anyway (including Sample Modelling). Also I like turning the key LEDs off most of the time -- I've personally found that a bit gimmicky -- but with NKS, as far as I can tell, you're using the manufacturer's configuration whether you want to or not.

So, setting the NKS stuff aside, the Kontrol keyboards to make very configurable, fine general MIDI controllers that work with everything you're already used to.

Indeed - that has been my approach thus far as well with the S61. I'll need to consider your approach then :) Expensive but seems the best!

Played a Kawai CA97 today. Wow! I thought it was absolutely beautiful, both in feel and sound. Better than many an acoustic piano I would say. A gorgeous, comfortable and inviting thing to play.

I also tried an Kawai ES8 portable (before the CA97) but I didn't like it (which was a surprise). This probably reinforces how subjective these things can be, depending on your background / abilities / goals etc.

I couldn't get my hands on a Casio PX range to try them out, as the action is supposed to very good for the price.

I played the Roland A-88 again, it's not sure it's 100% what I'm looking for (I'm not sure that exists!), but it's not bad either - it's somewhat artificial, but not slow to play - and robust by reputation, and it has the right form factor for building into an ergonomic desk setup - so I might just end up going for it, as the best of the bunch that I can get my hands on.

Went back to the store today to try the various keyboards again - and walked out with the Native Instruments Kontrol S88. The Casio ended up once again feelings too "cheap" and flimsy. No weight to it and it was very, very noisy. The Arturia Keylab 88 was never in serious content, but was similar but even noisier.

Having spent all of 30 minutes playing the S88, I'm pretty satisfied. It feels well made and the noise is minimal (though nothing like a digital piano - especially like the Kawai). The key tops feel very nice and although the keybed does feel a bit heavy in terms of touch, I think I can get used to it. At the moment, I don't seem to have quite the dynamic range as on a digital piano, but I think I will keep my existing Yamaha for the piano experience (and upgrade to the Kawai CA series eventually).

Finally, moving from a 61 key semi-weighted to a 88 hammer weighted controller feels amazing! At least from the standpoint of being able to sit at my workstation and play semi-decent piano lines in. Still TBD on how synths, percussion, etc. will feel on it, but I think I can make it work. And I rather like having the light guides, controller knobs + LCDs, DAW controller, and the ribbon strips built in - especially as more and more developers are moving to the NKS format. And for the ones that aren't, it is so easy to create instrument-specific custom templates that you can switch between very easily.

So far so good and would recommend the S88 at the moment!

...walked out with the Native Instruments Control S88... moving from a 61 key semi-weighted to a 88 hammer weighted controller feels amazing! Still TBD on how synths, percussion, etc. will feel on it.

This would be my main concern about using a weighted 88-key weighted for all / non-piano VIs. Do let us know how you get on with it for strings, brass, drums etc when you have had a chance to use it for a while.

The Casio ended up once again feelings too "cheap" and flimsy. No weight to it and it was very, very noisy.

Which Casio was it?

@5Lives since you've also been running the Kontrol in MIDI mode, what kind of solution do you have for keeping the encoder values in sync with your DAW for non NKS VIs?

They are rather wont to reset to zero, aren't they. For example when changing presets, they all reset in spite of my best efforts. It's an irritation I've been living with up until now.

I've managed a solution for my DAW (Reaper), with a custom script that enables MIDI hardware output to the S88 on track select (disabling the MIDI out on previous tracks). So when one hits play on the transport, and the DAW chases all CCs in use on the currently focused track, this will snap all the encoders to the current values for the track. I'm now trying to sort out a way for Reaper to chase CCs on track select, which would avoid having to press play to sync up the encoders.

I wonder what other people who use the Kontrol S keyboards in MIDI mode are doing here?

Last edited:
The Casio ended up once again feelings too "cheap" and flimsy. No weight to it and it was very, very noisy.
I played both the Privia 360 and the 860.

Thanks @5Lives. I know these things are subjective, but based on your findings (especially the noise of the keys part), I might not bother waiting the month or more for the Casios to come into stock then in my local store - I might just get the Roland A-88 (which seems to be really well built), plus a Nanokontrol2 for faders.

Last edited:
You must have preferred the NI S88 over the Studiologic SL88 Grand then.
Unfortunately, nobody seems to carry the SL88 in store and I didn't want to risk it. I played the S88 a bunch more yesterday and am enjoying it a lot. The keys are a little stiff but maybe they'll loosen up. On top of that, having the Komplete and NKS integration with the knobs and light guide is really really nice actually.

Well the retailer I bought it from checked with NI "on how they will rectify the problem" and then followed up saying a replacement is on order.
I just thought I should close the loop on this and follow up to say that my replacement Kontrol S88 finally arrived -- apparently the sole distributor in Canada was out of stock last month. Happily, the obnoxious clicking problem doesn't exist with the new unit.

Interestingly, when plugging in the new controller, it immediately booted with my custom presets. Oddly, some of the configuration wasn't ported over, such as LED brightness, but I was surprised to see everything else Just Work with no intervention required.

Just a bit of feedback / follow-up on a weighted midi controller purchase, if it is useful to anyone.

After checking out the Casio PX160 and Roland fp30 digital pianos as a potential midi controllers and liking them, I ended up buying the Roland a-88 for the decent consistent feel, flat top and low size to fit under a sliding drawer. I thought the key press and return on the a-88 would be fast / accurate enough for virtual instruments, however after a few weeks of using it, I've realised a fully-weighted keyboard is not ideal for VIs and (a few people had mentioned this) unfortunately you are better off with two keyboards - so I think I will need to buy a smaller 2-octave lightweight desktop keyboard to complement the a-88 (for more accurate and easier drums, stacc strings entry etc).

I don't regret the purchase as ergonomically it is better (computer controls closer on top of the flat-top a-88) and I can now play piano if I need to, but I didn't quite realise that what works for one will not necessarily work for all.

Top Bottom