Shazam! Theme, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Soundtracks Discussion' started by TheSigillite, Mar 29, 2019.

1. mouse

mouse Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Thought it was pretty similar to Batman too. Definitely going back to the roots of massive themes which is kind of cool

2. storyteller

storyteller Senior Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I think your assessment is spot on.. much more in-depth on the analysis of what he is doing. I enjoyed reading it.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. The part that bothers me the most about the theme is that I cannot remember it after the number of times I’ve listened to it. With Rey’s theme, I left the movie theater humming it, recognizing it was a new Williams masterpiece of a theme. With this one, I’m just... well... unable to hum along with any of it after numerous listening. (But again, it is passable. I’m not trying to berate the effort because I’m sure BW poured his life into creating this theme and he deserves some congratulations on it).

3. DarkestShadow

DarkestShadow Senior Member

I can't wait for this score to come out, pre-ordered real quick!! :D
    When I saw someone share this piece and I read the name Benjamin Wallfisch I knew it was gonna be fantastic. And I wasn't dissapointed.
    After the fantastic piece he wrote under the pseudonym Ben Lasker for a production music library in 2013 (link to piece) I was dying to hear more JW style adventurous orchestral escapades by him.

Listening to the Shazam main theme track I also could've busted the pseudonym just by ear. Many very particularly similar harmonies and orchestration.

I'm just so fascinated and humbled by amount of skill in the 3 pieces that have been published already. Such a madly effective and virtuous handling of the orchestra. A true Magnum Opus. And I can just hear Benjamin saying mentally: Oh, you want heroic adventurous dramatic orchestral madness? YESSS! I'm gonna pooouurr it all over you, wait for it!!

If I ever see him n the street somewhere I'll just say nothing and bow in front of him.
    Need a hidden camera to film his reaction though. :roflmao:

tebling and TheSigillite like this.
  4. DarkestShadow

But something to add - I love the piece overall a lot, but I'm not hearing a really memorable and clear theme. Maybe it becomes clearer listening to the whole score.
    I can live without it though. :)

And I'm not sure what to think of the sound. Something is weird about it somewhere around 500 - 1500 hz... the mix sounds great in terms of sonic dimension. Very wide. But there are some odd resonant frequencies through out. It sounds like a great mix that is being played back in a weird room.

5. fiestared

fiestared Vintage -but- not obsolete

Aug 18, 2013
    France
    Here is what Shazam means to me

6. kevthurman

kevthurman Active Member

Dec 18, 2018
    The secret to getting from place to place (in the western tonal tradition) is preparation. Taking advantage of a person's expectations to deliver an experience with a balance of relative predictability and yet enough intrigue to keep them listening. It's not so much how the material is written but how it is structured and ordered with other material.

7. DarkestShadow

8. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Saw the film yesterday. Well, I'm into the Snyder stuff and the whole MCU and post-Snyder DCEU stuff bores rather significantly, with that said, I thought this was quite fine, felt way more genuine than most of those half-assed comicbook films we get these days. I'm sure people in general will totally love it, it was a fabulous family movie.

The score itself... You can hear Wallfisch is really trying to do all those old-school/Williams-y things. The harmonies are more colorful than what we get in the modern films, he definitely works with themes in the old-school way, changing everything based on what's going on on the screen, the Shazam theme is fine... I haven't heard the full soundtrack yet, so I can't judge the individual pieces, but this score at least felt good in the cinema, rather than "please stop this loud nonsense already or I'll just leave the screening" I got from something like MI Fallout. :laugh:

@storyteller Some Williams' themes are truly incredible masterpieces, yea, Rey theme included. I don't think Wallfisch used him Shazam theme to its full potential in the film, mainly due to the fact @mverta pointed out in some of his classes, films these days are really fast paced, there's no room to let the music sing. I think that's what happened here. I was paying attention specifically to that and every time there was the theme, there was no room to let it breathe.

But overall, this soundtrack felt like a step into the right direction.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  9. rpaillot

rpaillot Active Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Yep sounds very good. Its a good change from the " world is going to be destroyed, i'm a depressed superhero" mood.

The mixing sounds a bit compressed / bass heavy but thats the way orchestral scores have to sound nowadays.
    Because we have been used to the modern approach from RC, and going back to pure orchestral mix of the 80-90s is not possible. Music has to compete with heavy sound design and also it has to sound "loud" and without compression, distortion, its not doable.
    But I think thats a nice mixing. its a good crossover between the old school way of mixing and the more modern approach.

2:00 to 2:06 I think I hear some bits of David Arnold too :D ( independence day )

10. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Wow, I mean...

things like this in a modern comicbook blockbuster? :grin:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    TheSigillite likes this.
  11. ChrisSiuMusic

ChrisSiuMusic Senior Member

I'd have to agree; the only theme I can really recall after listening a few times is the short motive at 1:48. The orchestration and production are wonderfully done!

kevthurman likes this.
  12. Tice

Tice Active Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I really love this flavor of music for super heroes. Or for adventure movies in general. I even outright miss it. But I do feel that this movie does a few things that make it fall just short of the mark.
    For this kind of theme to work, it has to be used a LOT, and not be snowed under in orchestration, or the mix between music and the remaining sound in the movie. A theme like this needs to shine center-stage for it to really work. And to be able to humm it within a first time viewing of the movie, you'll need to hear it a lot within a single viewing. Themes like this should draw attention to themselves in every way. Be endulgent in the great feel that they give, despite any notions of cliché. Do what the Japanese tend to love doing: Take the cliché and crank it up to 11. Endulge!
    This soundtrack has all the orchestration of that 80's super hero movie way of composing, but it takes more than that for it to really shine.

I like music likes this.