1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shakuhachi and Ney

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by kimarnesen, Feb 13, 2018.

1. kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    I'm looking for samples of these instruments. Any suggestions?
    I have Ethno World 6 and the Shakuhaci is OK, and the Ney is not sounding good at all.

2. Silence-is-Golden

Silence-is-Golden ^^

Jun 8, 2015
    Eduardo tarilonte has some nice ones, and shakuhachi from impact sound works may be what you look for

However all have their limits and cannot do what the full range of the real instrument can do. So depends on what you need it for if it fits

kimarnesen likes this.
  3. holywilly

holywilly Senior Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Taipei, Taiwan
    rapa, kimarnesen and Zoot_Rollo like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
  5. Fleer

Fleer No Method

Dec 12, 2014
    Boston/Cambridge
  6. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Premier Sound Factory have a Shakuhachi library, but for some reason it's no longer up on their website.

7. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Man, I wish I could tame it to play any tips ?

For now I been using the Spitfire but it is a bit to clinical for me. The VSL one in the Kontakt Factory library ain't half bad, but it's pretty plain.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. MaxOctane

MaxOctane Senior Member

Mar 23, 2017
    I’ve actually wanted to find the shakuhachi from Roland D-50, aka the Father Figure sound. Only way to get it seems to be the new roland boutique hardware synth, or roland cloud.

9. Mundano

Mundano Senior Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Do you need a remote recording? A friend of mine plays professionally wonderful World Flutes, Ney, Shakuhachi, Bawu, Hulusi, Tin Whistle, Low Whistle, Flute, Irish Wood Flute, and more...

10. Pixelee

Pixelee Senior Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Impact Soundworks' shakuhasha is pretty darn good!

11. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Yes, looks like they’ve redone their website and removed all but drumtree and a stienway I hadn’t seen before. Perhaps they are finally giving their instruments proper interfaces and will repost them as they finish. Glad I picked through them before they vanished without warning. ;)

Priemer’s is beautiful, but I would check out sound Impact Soundworks, many articulations and control. Or look into the updated desert winds or east west Ra or Silk.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  12. I love the Shakuhachi and Ney patches in both EastWest RA and Goliath.

13. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Do you know if they ever have any sales....? 240 USD for a single instrument is really steep...

14. Heizenhaus

Heizenhaus Active Member

Mar 1, 2017
    The one from Impact Sounworks is only 99 dollars. The one from Sonica is 240.

15. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Sorry yes I was referring to the Sonica one...

@holywilly

16. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
  17. Ben H

Ben H Senior Member

Mar 7, 2009
    They stopped selling it years ago, unfortunately.

18. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Oh. Didn't even notice that. Bummer.

19. SoundChris

SoundChris Senior Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Germany
    Shakuhachi: Impact Soundworks Ventus

Ney: Bestservice Eduardo Tarilonte Ancient Era / Desert Winds (Desert Winds now is Part of Ancient Era. You also can upgrade later. The winds are the same as far as I know - Desert Winds is great and also was used in big movie productions like Ridley Scott´s Exodus - Gods and Kings. Desert Winds includes 2 great Neys, a Duduk and a Zourna)

If you ever are looking for a great Armenian Duduk - Ilya Efimov is the best choice here:

P.s.: Bestservice has got an easter sale. If you purchase something minimum 99 € you can find a 20 € voucher on their website (you can use it for as many purchases as you want so you can use it multiple). They also sell ISW Ventus Shakuhachi there (99 €) and also the Tarilonte Desert Winds (119 €). So if you need such stuff now is the best time. And again: The Tarilonte Ney included in Desert Winds AND ALSO in Ancient ERA is the very best out there - unchallenged ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    kimarnesen likes this.
  20. holywilly

holywilly Senior Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I don’t think they have sale that often. If you wanna the best of the shakuhachi, go for the Japanese developer.

I have koto & shamisen from sonica, they are awesome VI’s, can’t go wrong with Sonica.