What's new

SF Studio Strings V CSS??? - Opinions

Zhao Shen

StormSound
The first time I'll be able to say that it's a hard choice between CSS and another library, because while CSS has been top-of-line in everything that it does, the strengths of Spitfire Studio Strings are so different, and Spitfire has offered it at a very generous price point.

I will say though, don't be misled by the "studio strings" branding that they have in common, Spitfire Studio Strings is no more similar to CSS than any of their other offerings. I was actually a little disappointed that it sounds so much like every other string library they've released.

But by god, the section size variety is phenomenal. Legato options are lacking, but made up for with the amount of articulations and section sizes. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for the brass and woodwinds - interested in how they approach those.

Consona

Ha, interesting. But I'm still waiting for Hyperion Elements. When I'm spending on a new library these days, I expect very good dynamic range, great legato, a good amount of unusual articulations, etc. Seems like Hyperion will bring even more to the table than SStS. SoundIron promises stuff like sul pont shorts, which I really want, which even SStS Professional doesn't have. Curious how will these two libs compare.

NoamL

Winter <3
This is a direct CSS competitor. There's 30 musicians here, compared to 35 in CSS (and 28 in Berlin). The intro price is also exactly the same as CSS's price so... y'know... doesn't seem like coincidence... ;)

Except, on the other hand, you get so much more than CSS at the same price. Six mic positions instead of three, extended techniques, true sordinos, sul tasto and sul pont, trills beyond half/whole.

The size flexibility is killer. You have a 30-piece string orchestra with divisi in every section (except basses). You have two choices for 17-piece ensembles, which competes with SCS and Light&Sound (and the upcoming Hyperion I suppose). And you can combine the half and full size sections to get a 60 piece orchestra that weighs in with Hollywood Strings, Spitfire Symphonic Strings, and LASS. So while sticking with the studio sound, it competes in the chamber sized, studio sized and Hollywood sized arenas. What really made my day is seeing that Spitfire have prepared NKIs at each section size that already "bake together" the sample content. You don't have to load 3 sets of patches to get the divisi+divisi+full sound. That is a huge usability feature & RAM saver.

Except except, on the other other hand... the longs seem to have 3 dynamic layers (4 in CSS), there are only 2 lengths of short notes (4 in CSS), and there's only one set of legato transitions (quite fast) plus portamento (3+port in CSS). And overall, the sound seems more reserved while CSS feels "musical" in every note. I skimmed through the videos and demos and nothing about this string sound really blew me away the way I remember first hearing the CSS demos (and when I use them every day! ;) ). It's more like Spitfire's other libraries: very neutral, and therefore very usable and flexible.

I think this is gonna be an interesting addition to all the options for strings. Looking forward to user reviews!

Looking beyond that - if it's not totally silly to do so on the day a library drops - this is Spitfire announcing that they're throwing their hat into the ring for another full orchestra.

That means in addition to upcoming dry woodwind and brass ensembles from Cinematic Studio and Soundiron Hyperion (and probably Adventure Woodwinds to complete Musical Sampling's range), there will be a Spitfire Studio option as well. Spitfire Studio Woodwinds will be particularly interesting because in their BML range they showed an interest in sampling the rarer auxiliary winds. I got the opportunity to play with the Bass Flute instrument on a friend's composing rig, and it's a stellar instrument. So Spitfire Studio Winds will be one to watch out for, I think. Heckelphone, Christian? Please? ;)

Last edited:

AlexanderSchiborr

This is a direct CSS competitor. There's 30 musicians here, compared to 35 in CSS (and 28 in Berlin). The intro price is also exactly the same as CSS's price so... y'know... doesn't seem like coincidence... ;)

Except, on the other hand, you get so much more than CSS at the same price. Six mic positions instead of three, extended techniques, true sordinos, sul tasto and sul pont, trills beyond half/whole.

The size flexibility is killer. You have a 30-piece string orchestra with divisi in every section (except basses). You have two choices for 17-piece ensembles, which competes with SCS and Light&Sound. And you can combine the half and full size sections (and there are already NKIs that bake everything in, which saves you enormously on RAM) to get a 60 piece orchestra that weighs in with Hollywood Strings, Spitfire Symphonic Strings, and LASS. So while sticking with the studio sound, it competes in the chamber sized, studio sized and Hollywood sized arenas.

Except except, on the other other hand... the longs seem to have 3 dynamic layers (4 in CSS), there are only 2 lengths of short notes (4 in CSS), and there's only one set of legato transitions (quite fast) plus portamento (3+port in CSS). And overall, the sound seems more reserved while CSS feels "musical" in every note. I skimmed through the videos and demos and nothing about this string sound really blew me away the way I remember first hearing the CSS demos (and when I use them every day! ;) ). It's more like Spitfire's other libraries: very neutral, and therefore very usable and flexible.

I think this is gonna be an interesting addition to all the options for strings. Looking forward to user reviews!
"And overall, the sound seems more reserved while CSS feels "musical" in every note. I skimmed through the videos and demos and nothing about this string sound really blew me away the way I remember first hearing the CSS demos (and when I use them every day! ;) )

Yepp..same to me..samples are well recorded but doesn´t make alone an outstanding library. Don´t get me wrong the possibilities are on the paper great but in the end what matters (at least for me) is if that library can pull off musical lines...lets see..:grin:

Last edited:

Consona

The Kontakt editing for this lib is locked. :confused: (As is for CSS if I remember correctly.)

Last edited:

Henu

Having been struggling with different string libraries for the last three days with each of them having some annoying drawbacks and wishing I had a DRY Spitfire library with the versatility to go from smaller sound to a bigger one, this isn't really helping. :/

markrosoft

I'm very excited about this.

Definitely going to be buying this one. The big question for me is how nice the legatos feel while playing them. Ultimately that seems to be THE thing that makes me love a library or not. And for that reason, I just find that LASS works best for me in most situations - the legatos sound good and feel good to play. I also love the divisi and the dryness. This hopefully will be a much needed newer alternative.

Very excited to hear what people think of the playability of this! I hope those early trigger-pullers report back!

Grizzlymv

Well, it is a direct compeition to CSS, but as other mentionned, I'd also say LASS as well. One of the main strenght of LASS is their divisis, which Spitfire is offering for the first time. CSS doesn't have that (I don't understand why it's not standard in most libraries, as it adds so much versatility to a library). Also, in terms of articulation LASS is going a little further than CSS if I'm not mistaken, but not as deep as Spitfire Studio Strings though. It will definitely put pressure on LASS price point though. So glad to finally see another lib properly supporting divisi. ;)

Eptesicus

Judging from 2 out of the 3 demo tracks, definitely not SF studio strings! I actually found them hard to listen to. first demo track is lovely though so it is a bit odd.

Seycara

Not throwing shade at Paul Thomson who’s done fantastic tracks in the past but his demo for the studio strings professsional really does not present the legato in a flattering light; it sounds clunky and unnatural which is strange coming from Spitfire.

Consona

The price is really good, I love stuff like timestretch patches, but need to hear user demos and walkthroughs. Plus we'll get so many new string libs... So I'll definitely wait before buying this. I'm starting to get very good at this, I didn't buy anything during the recent 8dio sale. Shame it wasn't the same years ago when I burned my money on Adagio. :roflmao:

Top Bottom