What's new

SF Albion One or EW SO Gold?

Sopranos

Opinions or thoughts for an all in one scenario? Better quality? Inspiration out of the box? Etc?

Disregard the engine as I have been mostly stable with Play on this older title.

Also, I already have The Orchestra. Would Albion One be redundant?

Cheers!

Studio E

Eric Watkins
There is no doubt that Albion One is amazing, and newer, and has a few more modern techniques, but when I first bought EWQLSO Gold a LOT of years ago, that's when my production chops stepped forward big time. It is probably a much more complete set of "orchestral" instruements, especially with regard to percussion and tuned percussion. What I would miss if I had only Gold between the two, would be the legato in SF libraries. It's not that I feel true legato is the end-all of mockups, but I do remember it being a lot of work to make good note transitions in Gold with the strings. That said, there are some terrific demos of EWQLSO Gold that would make you think it can do about anything and honestly, with a little work, it pretty much can. Here is something I did years ago with all EWQLSO Gold except for piano and choir I do believe.

https://ericwatkinsmusic.com/track/880769/back-pedaling

oxo

EWQLSOgold... keep in mind:
- no legato (only a bad fake legato)
- the big hall is burned in to the samples (no way to get a smaller stage sound, extended mic-positions are no longer offered by EW for gold)
- no round robin
- dynamic layering is not up to date

Jdiggity1

Stroking The Frog
Albion ONE will give you better tools for modern scoring and production such as big percussion and synths/pads, but EWQLSO will give you more flexibility when it comes to orchestral writing, due to it offering solo instruments, as well as ensembles, whereas Albion will only give you stacked ensembles.

Studio E

Eric Watkins
I guess the bottom line would be, they are both really pretty great in their own ways. I have and still use both.

Studio E

Eric Watkins
EWQLSOgold... keep in mind:
- no legato (only a bad fake legato)
- the big hall is burned in to the samples (no way to get a smaller stage sound, extended mic-positions are no longer offered by EW for gold)
- no round robin
- dynamic layering is not up to date
There is round robin in EWQLSO. I'm not sure to what extent, but some of the patch names literally have "RR" in the title.

dzilizzi

I know nothing
It really depends on what you want to do with it. My main issues with Albion One and similar instruments is that you are limited to combined instruments that you might not want combined. They sound great, if you want that combination. Albion One isn't as bad as some of the others because it does separate out by instrument section - High/Mid/Low Brass and Winds; and combined Strings - though the individual patches have a low strings 8va option. No flute/cello combos like some I've seen, which makes it more usable. But you won't necessarily get a solo violin sound.

It does, however, come with a lot of cool sounds that would be great in trailer/game music. So if you just want a product aimed towards providing a finished sound, Albion One is great. If you want to learn orchestration and need to have your instruments separated out, you are much better off with SO.

Satorious

Albion sounds good out of the box, but all the orchestration is baked in making it limited. EWQL offers a lot more orchestration options but it will take a little more work and has a big hall sound baked in. I've got both, if I was starting over from scratch today - I'd probably consider something like Amadeus (which appears to give you the best of both).

oxo

There is round robin in EWQLSO. I'm not sure to what extent, but some of the patch names literally have "RR" in the title.
sorry, yes you are right. but only 3, some times max. 4. as a whole the short articulations quickly sound mechanically.

Top Bottom