What's new

Setting up QUAD in Cubase today. What do I need to know?

Fitz

I got two rear speakers to set up Quad in my studio. Will cubase automatically registered these channels? Or what do I need to know to set up Cubase properly to read the four speakers? Is there an output bus that needs to be created?

The output buses relate to the audio interface so you can manage those with our without the speakers connected. Check if you have the outs created/enabled (device manager and VST connections) and configured to the right ports and you should be good to go.
You'd may also want to change the fx channels and outputs in the mixer to something different than stereo or use the control room.

The output buses relate to the audio interface so you can manage those with our without the speakers connected. Check if you have the outs created/enabled (device manager and VST connections) and configured to the right ports and you should be good to go.
You'd may also want to change the fx channels and outputs in the mixer to something different than stereo or use the control room.
Cool. If I have a stereo template now, do I need to change over all the audio outputs from the MIDI channels? Or do I have to start the template from scratch? Is there a way to convert all my stereo tracks to 4.0

That depends on your need for control. If you just want the outs, you can create a 4out fx channel and direct route the stereo channels to it. If you want to point different mics to different areas of you cuad image you'll need to change the whole thing, or at least the way you route those signals.

That depends on your need for control. If you just want the outs, you can create a 4out fx channel and direct route the stereo channels to it. If you want to point different mics to different areas of you cuad image you'll need to change the whole thing, or at least the way you route those signals.
If I'm using mostly sample libraries, or I'd like to point different mics around, how would you recommend setting up the template? Sorry, I'm pretty new to Quad / 5.1

5.1 setup.jpg
Lets say you have a Kontakt instrument that allows you to route each mic by pressing the mic name like Tundra (this works with other samplers and plugins). You can have a 5.1 fx channel and route your N outs to it. When you do that Cubase changes the 1D pan (L/R) to a 2D tool. That's it :)
I'd advise to keep a stereo track (and even a mono one) so you don't forget to check how your tracks sound that way.

5.1 setup.jpg
Lets say you have a Kontakt instrument that allows you to route each mic by pressing the mic name like Tundra (this works with other samplers and plugins). You can have a 5.1 fx channel and route your N outs to it. When you do that Cubase changes the 1D pan (L/R) to a 2D tool. That's it :)
I'd advise to keep a stereo track (and even a mono one) so you don't forget to check how your tracks sound that way.
Thank you. Do I have to have VEP Pro set up in surround? I'm trying to figure out a way to see if I can convert my massive Stereo template to Quad. What are the steps for me?

Top Bottom