What's new

Sessions String Pro 2

Rowy

I used Sessions Strings Pro 2 to make a mockup of a short 4-part composition for strings. The result should sound impressive and wide, but not so massive as in a present day blockbuster. I also needed a clear sound, because of the voice leading.

I probably managed just that. However, reviews about SS Pro 2 claim that it's only suitable for pop productions and that the strings sound too thin for impressive or classical orchestral work. Perhaps it's my fault. I want it to sound impressive, but also as clear as a string quartet.

SS Pro 2 was a gift from a dear friend, so I really want to use this vst. I used Ozone filters to give it a wider sound. Compression would probably kill the voice leading, so I'm not going to use that.

Of course I tried other virtual string ensembles. Big ones as well, but they all sound so pompous.

Attachments

• Question.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 159
I have the smaller version Session Strings 2, but will want to upgrade to the Pro version.

I love the overall sound of the strings....definitely not pompous, more suitable for a chamber or smaller studio sound.

Idea for your piece: - maybe try a different reverb (like a good convolution concert hall or chamber hall) and then you can release the keys after a phrase or note and get another nice articulation for the beginning of the next note or phrase)
Just a thought upon hearing what you recorded. (...I'm fussy!)

Hey enjoy the library!....it doesn't get enough appreciation.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will try other settings to make the strings sound more natural. For chamber music SS Pro 2 is one of the best, but I made the mistake of not willing to choose between a clear sound and an impressive sound. So I need to put on my thinking cap as well.

is this part on Komplete 12 ultimate i understrand correctly? sounds nice makes me think if i go with komplete 9-> komplete 12 ultimate not only komplete 9 ->komplete 12.

is this part on Komplete 12 ultimate i understrand correctly? sounds nice makes me think if i go with komplete 9-> komplete 12 ultimate not only komplete 9 ->komplete 12.

I'm not sure what you mean. I used NI Sessions Strings Pro 2 and Kontakt 5.8 (I have been too lazy to update it).

About the sound of the piece, cmiller and Sears Poncho were right. I did use CC11, but it had no effect on the result. Because Sears Poncho mentioned the mod wheel, I took another look. Stupid me forgot to switch Dynamic Control to CC11. I also changed the strings from "Mellow Strings" to "Orchestral". I fine-tuned Attack and Release, and I edited the midi once more. That should do it. It's starting to sound real nice now.

I'll post a new version of the piece, perhaps tomorrow.

Yes, it is concluded in KU 12

As said before and regarding the track, I also recommend to use your CC1 (?) wheel for dynamics much more! In this example, the strings sound a bit lifeless. But SSP2 yet couldn't convince me in any other way whatsoever.

I also recommend to use your CC1 (?) wheel for dynamics much more! In this example, the strings sound a bit lifeless. But SSP2 yet couldn't convince me in any other way whatsoever.

As I wrote before, I didn't use CC11, accidently. I'll post a new version. Perhaps SS Pro 2 will convince you then. And if it doesn't, I sure would like to know which strings you prefer.

Last edited:
SS2 strings are a “breath of fresh air”. (...that’s certain to start a flaming war from some other library die-hards)

Really... they’re very ‘playable-friendly’, easy to set up as to how to choose various articulation keyboard responses, and don’t half baked-in reverb or wrong sounding vibration.

And that’s only the regular version; I look forward to upgrade to the Pro version.

Most importantly, they sound great to my ears and are very inspirational.

As I wrote before, I didn't use CC11, accidently. I'll post a new version. Perhaps SS Pro 2 will convince you then. And if it doesn't, I sure would like to know which strings you prefer.
Sure, I'll be interested in the second version.
I own SS Pro 2 already but, just like SS Pro 1, I can't really enjoy it's sound too much. For the music I prefer to write, which generally goes into the cinematic direction, it doesn't fit my taste. The programming of legato and vibrato, the room tone... The sound itself is actually fine for the style in your track, in my opinion. But the library is not what I need for my compositions. My current favorite string library is CSS (despite being too dark for my taste). Though I of course can't tell if it would fit your taste or this pieces tone in general.
If I would change my direction and maybe compose a pop song or something one day, I'll take a look at SSP2 again.

I own many. I'm also a pro violinist.

SSP2 has a neutral sound, it's easy to overdub real violins and other vsts. It's a clever program, and the animator stuff is useful and powerful. It does what it is meant to do: small section backing string stuff. It also has some articulations that no other program has.

I also have LCO Strings (Spitfire). It is more aggressive, does more avant garde stuff as well.

Spitfire Studio Strings Pro does anything and everything. It has small sections that can be combined, many mic combos, great sound.

For Solo strings (which I mix in) I have:
Spitfire Solo Strings
CSSS
LASS FC and others

For me, since I constantly work with strings, having variety is the key. I am mixing them together in many different combos. I don't use SSP2 as much, I mainly use the Spitfire stuff, but SSP2 is still an impressive package and the violas sound great.

A new version, now with expression. Downsampled from 48 kHz/24 bit wave to 44.1 kHz/16 bit mp3, so there might be some distortion.

Edit: 2 months later I didn't like this example anymore. I'm almost there though. I think.

Attachments

• Question-New.mp3
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Spitfire Studio Strings Pro does anything and everything. It has small sections that can be combined, many mic combos, great sound.

For Solo strings (which I mix in) I have:
Spitfire Solo Strings
CSSS
LASS FC and others

For me, since I constantly work with strings, having variety is the key. I am mixing them together in many different combos. I don't use SSP2 as much, I mainly use the Spitfire stuff, but SSP2 is still an impressive package and the violas sound great.

I had some experience with Spitfire, but I really hate the interface. The sound is great though, it's just the design. I can't believe a professional graphic designer made this.

I used Cinematic Strings some years ago. Is it the same as Cinematic Studio Strings? The sound of CS didn't convince me, but the Studio version could be better. CS doesn't offer a trial version, so I can't check it out.

LASS, that one I know. You're a pro violinist, so you must have a better idea on how violins should sound than I have, but in my opinion LASS is not really good enough.

Like you I'm planning on working with strings a lot, that's why I want to try to get the sound right. The example I've uploaded is 1 of 35 compositions for strings I wrote this summer and I hate to produce them twice, or three times, or even more. I'm a pro composer, but an amateur producer and not even a good one.

About solo strings, I don't know if you've tried Chris Hein Solo Strings? They are really good, except for the cello.

I used Cinematic Strings some years ago. Is it the same as Cinematic Studio Strings? The sound of CS didn't convince me, but the Studio version could be better. CS doesn't offer a trial version, so I can't check it out.

Cinematic Strings and Cinematic Studio Strings are own unique products. first one if i remember correctly is more wet.

Top Bottom