Session Horns Pro vs. Logic Studio Horns

Arthur Lewis

Can anyone speak to the quality difference between the two, when used for pop/funk/soul stuff? I’ve been using Studio Horns, which feels middling, and I’ve seen a number of threads here suggesting that my best upgrade options are probably EW Pop Brass, SampleModeling Brass plus SWAM Saxophones, or SHP. Since I already have Session Horns, and NI’s Summer Sale knocks 50% off the upgrade price, the price is definitely right on SHP.

The problem: I don’t especially like the sound of any SHP demos on YouTube. But I also don’t seem to like the demos of Session Horns, which seems to sound much better when I actually play it, than when I hear it on YouTube.

At any rate, it’s hard for me to tell if SHP would actually be a significant upgrade from what I’ve got now, since apparently I can’t trust my evaluation of YouTube demos. Can anyone who has both speak to the difference they’ve noticed?

sumskilz

I'd say Session Horns Pro is a big upgrade over Session Horns. Although the timbre is basically the same, just deeper sampled, with solo instruments and better functionality.

It sounds better to me to build the sections playing each part with the solo instrument patches. For example, the MIDI that sounds most realistic on the trombone may not sound most realistic for the tenor sax.

NI demos tend to be honest to what you get if you aren't putting in much effort. You can get more natural sounding results. I don't have Logic, so can't comment on the comparison.

Rory

Filmmaker
A few months ago, this guy made a video comparing Logic's Studio instruments to Native Instruments and East-West. He has some pretty high-end libraries:

OP
A

Arthur Lewis

Thanks for the responses!

I'd say Session Horns Pro is a big upgrade over Session Horns. Although the timbre is basically the same, just deeper sampled, with solo instruments and better functionality.

It sounds better to me to build the sections playing each part with the solo instrument patches. For example, the MIDI that sounds most realistic on the trombone may not sound most realistic for the tenor sax.
Yeah totally, I don’t even use Session Horns because that blended section sounds so unrealistic to me.

A few months ago, this guy made a video comparing Logic's Studio instruments to Native Instruments and East-West. He has some pretty high-end libraries:

Looks like strings only unfortunately, but I imagine this will at least give me some sense of where Logic’s offerings sit in relation to other developers’.

Anyone else who has both instruments? I probably should have mentioned it’s the last day of a Summer Sale, so I’ve only got a few more hours to decide! :P

Petter Rong

Hobbyist composer
*Almost* anything is better than the built in Logic stuff IMO. The demos for EW Pop Brass sounds horrible though. Session Horns Pro is very decent, can do basic stuff, but not anything spectacular. The different combinations gives you a variety of sounds, so if you're OK with the playability and articulations, it might suit you. The sound itself isn't that different, just that you have more flexibility in how you set up the sections. And if you want, you can use the solo patches and build up sections yourself.

If you're really into it, Glory Days by OT seems like the best (though very pricey) option. Project SAM Swing More! can also do some good stuff. Though these two libraries are more big band ish than strictly pop/funk.

For the kind of minimalist work (when it comes to pop/funk brass), SHP works great for me. Even find use for the solo stuff.

JamieLang

Well, so--don't equate the strings and the horns. I thin kthe Logic Horns are beyond useable where the strings are WAY WAY back in tech time.

That said SHP is better to my ear/fingers.

I can't compare the SH "not pro" as I've never touched them....but there I WILL relate to their Session STRINGS vs SSP, which is night and day like a different instrument all together. I literally laughed at how bad Session Strings was...Session Strings Pro is a very competent library for where a small dry ensemble is appropriate.

Edit: it should be noted that I never release faux horns. I can tell you I've had the real sessions come back sounding mostly like my Mojo mock ups...and I think SSP sounds better on the time/quality scale...but, horns just aren't prohibitively expensive like strings, so...while I have all faux strings...horns are both harder to get "right" and not worth it, given how little $$ it takes, grand scheme to have horn players on my music. I thought I should add that to my opinion.

Last edited:

Zee

Chris hein's horns are also good for pop/funk if SHP tone isn't to your liking you should consider them, the compact collection is at a good price and might go on sale this year too

OP
A

Arthur Lewis

Thanks all. One of the fun parts of having a toddler at home (especially during quarantine) is that I like to imagine I'm gonna be able to take care of things before midnight, but often I just fall dead asleep at the first possible opportunity. 🤦‍♂️ So I ended up missing the SHP sale deadline, but I'll keep considering all these options for my next purchase. Thanks again to everyone who weighed in!