What's new

Serial Code for Kontakt Instruments?

Maxheadroom

Hello,

is there good/prevalent way to add an (offline) serial key authorisation to your Kontakt instrument? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you in advance!
Best,
Max

Last edited:
Some instruments (if not all?) from Audio Reward (Kontakt Hub) e.g., asks for a s# the first time you open it.
It must then be save as.

You can't crack watermarks, but you can purchase with a fake/stolen ID and then it's untraceable (or traceable to a wrong person)...

Yes, this is very wrong, but also yes, it has also happened already numerous times.

Curious. Can you "call home" from within a Kontakt script?
No, thank goodness!

What's to stop someone from distributing the serial number along with the library? How are you ensuring that a particular serial number can only used by one single user?
Nothing. It's the same with all forms of watermarking, it is purely a deterrent, it has no other purpose. All the developer can do if someone shares their watermarked software online is download it, see who uploaded it, and blacklist them.

With our libraries, we have a simple 'load license file' screen. The server generates a unique NKA with each order, then the user loads it into Kontakt once. No inputting keys manually. No re-saving the patch.
So far it has been very effective at deterring piracy.
Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 18.14.35.png

You can't crack watermarks, but you can purchase with a fake/stolen ID and then it's untraceable (or traceable to a wrong person)...

Yes, this is very wrong, but also yes, it has also happened already numerous times.

I asked this in another thread, but didn't get a reply I think: do they watermark the instrument patch or the samples? Meaning is your final audio export watermarked, or just the instrument patch? I don't mind the patch, but I would mind if the audio was watermarked.

With our libraries, we have a simple 'load license file' screen. The server generates a unique NKA with each order, then the user loads it into Kontakt once. No inputting keys manually. No re-saving the patch.
Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 18.14.35.png
Yeah we did that with the DrumDrops products, it generated about 20-40% more support calls on authorisation issues, including "Ive accidentally deleted my key..." type calls . So we went with the one above instead.

Yeah we did that with the DrumDrops products, it generated about 20-40% more support calls on authorisation issues, including "Ive accidentally deleted my key..." type calls . So we went with the one above instead.
I've never had any issues. If they delete it they can just download it again - it's just a link in the email, below the main library download.

I've been considering a method like that. Once the customer goes through that process of loading the nka with one nki, does he still have to do it with the other instrument nki's? Or does doing it once take care of all the others? To me, that would be the main advantage of this method.

I've been considering a method like that. Once the customer goes through that process of loading the nka with one nki, does he still have to do it with the other instrument nki's? Or does doing it once take care of all the others? To me, that would be the main advantage of this method.
It takes care of the others. Even with the manual code entry, that's pretty simple to do.

The main advantage of the NKA method is that you can have a long and complex key, without needing any 'creative' user input system ;) (I do admire yours though)

Top Bottom