What's new

Sennheiser HD-600?

All of the headphones mentioned here are more than capable for mixing. There aren't perfectly flat flawless headphones - that's where software like Sonarworks correction comes in handy. Pair DT 880 Pro, HD600/650, AKGs, Audezes or any quality open-back cans with Sonarworks and a good crossfeed plugin such as this and you're good to go.

I noticed you recommended a software called CanOpener Studio as part of a Sonarworks chain. Not too technically-versed myself, but would you be able to explain how a crossfeed algorithm can improve things?

I noticed you recommended a software called CanOpener Studio as part of a Sonarworks chain. Not too technically-versed myself, but would you be able to explain how a crossfeed algorithm can improve things?

Sure thing - crossfeed plugins such as CanOpener Studio emulate the effect that happens when you're mixing on speakers. It's very subtle in the beginning but after you use it for some time you notice immediately when it's off.

To quote this paragraph from one post:
The width of the stereo image—the inter-aural crosstalk—is the main thing that differentiates headphone monitoring from speaker monitoring. In the phones, there is no inter-aural crosstalk—the left and right drivers in each ear cup are right up against the corresponding ear, so the left ear does hear only the left signal, and the right ear hears only the right.

More in-depth about that (broken link removed).

Bought a new pair of HD 600 this week, as I have been procrastinating for a long time with an upgrade. I was using a pair or AKG K121 for years, which I knew well. I was a little nervous about what to expect, but the HD 600 are wonderful. Not only comfortable to wear (for me, anyways), but the sound is very neutral and crystal clear. I highly recommend!

Bought a new pair of HD 600 this week, as I have been procrastinating for a long time with an upgrade. I was using a pair or AKG K121 for years, which I knew well. I was a little nervous about what to expect, but the HD 600 are wonderful. Not only comfortable to wear (for me, anyways), but the sound is very neutral and crystal clear. I highly recommend!

Helpful to see this post. Older Senn HD497 to replace. Several trusted messages and posts pulling me between Senn HD600 and Beyer DT 880 Pro / Premium ( 250 / 600 ohm ) . Notable cost difference so DT 880 was winning. Now, not so sure ..... again ;)
..... usage is heavy, daily Home Studio DAW apps via Focusrite I/F (possibly dedicated HDfone amp), No audiophile /casual listening need.

THX & Enjoy !

Last edited:
Helpful to see this post. Older Senn HD497 to replace. Several trusted messages and posts pulling me between Senn HD600 and Beyer DT 880 Pro / Premium ( 250 / 600 ohm ) . Notable cost difference so DT 880 was winning. Now, not so sure ..... again ;)
..... usage is heavy, daily Home Studio DAW apps via Focusrite I/F (possibly dedicated HDfone amp), No audiophile /casual listening need.

THX & Enjoy !
Hate to say it but...you'd probably be happy with either one! I think they are both very well regarded.

THX & Enjoy !
The DT880s are not as neutral as the 600s (too much treble but somehow not as detailed as the 1990s), they actually measure worse than 650s which again aren't ideal for mixing in my experience (although I use those on my Clavinova CLP 470 for monitoring as stated before).

I'm rather thinking of getting maybe a pair as another flavour because they're really inexpensive and the Tesla Driver has a certain character. I'm however that they need a good amount of correction for prefessional work. (if that's your goal)

Here's the Sonarworks review... although I'd love to see their rating on the 600s. I don't really trust them anymore as they actually advise people to get 650s over everything else, which seems odd as apparently the Neumann's are said to be better for the job but I've never heard the NDH 20s myself, so I won't advise to get them.

The DT880s are not as neutral as the 600s (too much treble but somehow not as detailed as the 1990s), they actually measure worse than 650s which again aren't ideal for mixing in my experience (although I use those on my Clavinova CLP 470 for monitoring as stated before).

I'm rather thinking of getting maybe a pair as another flavour because they're really inexpensive and the Tesla Driver has a certain character. I'm however that they need a good amount of correction for prefessional work. (if that's your goal)

Here's the Sonarworks review... although I'd love to see their rating on the 600s. I don't really trust them anymore as they actually advise people to get 650s over everything else, which seems odd as apparently the Neumann's are said to be better for the job but I've never heard the NDH 20s myself, so I won't advise to get them.

Yeh .... this caught my attention as well. Really being careful quoting or referencing personal (email) from professional sources, yet one has commented specifically re. HD600 & DT880 Premium (600ohm) and favors 880 for my studio needs .. driven by dedicated HDfone amp.

Ha! Of course (600 ohm) kinda pushes me to the HDfone Amp ... right :roflmao:

Not truly stressing over this. Actually a bit amused by the supposedly 'technical' mumbo-jumbo.

HD600 almost 2X cost of 880 Premium, so relaxing and thinking thru carefully.

Appreciate the ongoing discussion here, as many relevant details raised ! :thumbsup:

Hate to say it but...you'd probably be happy with either one! I think they are both very well regarded.

No way here, either, to audition or A/B. For best result, should consider both and write off cost to 'learning' with my own system and ears. Agree, either one will sound better than existing fones, and will then wonder if the other will be even better.
One positive note ..... both will cost less than upper tier options! (DT1990 Pro or HD800 S).

No way here, either, to audition or A/B. For best result, should consider both and write off cost to 'learning' with my own system and ears. Agree, either one will sound better than existing fones, and will then wonder if the other will be even better.
One positive note ..... both will cost less than upper tier options! (DT1990 Pro or HD800 S).
Well yes, though the HD800 S' would not be ideal for mixing anyway. As for the DT1990s, they're great (in a technical way even better than 600s) but I d'still pick the 600s over them (can't put my finger on why, there's something off with them whenever I hear them, maybe they're a bit too sharp for my taste).

I'm about to get my 8th pair of over-ear headphones and really the only reason I'm going to buy the Ether CXs is because I still want the best closed back cans for monitoring and mixing, in my mind 600s are the end game for open mix headphones, no matter the price. I'll probably still buy lots of headphones but for studio usage I could get by with the 58Xs (felt mod+ Sonarworks + Can Opener) and the 600s only.

I'd rather put the 600s against the 1990s, 880s don't offer as much natural neutrality, those would likely go up against 650s or 6xx in my book which would make them a nice hybrid of neutrality and fun. Buy one good neutral headphone and you'll be good in that regard, just be warned that once you start diving into the audiophile game you'll probably start to have an itch for things like broader soundstage, pin point imaging, great sub bass etc. and might plunge into the differences between dynamic, planar and electrostatic cans.

These experiences may in turn train your ears and help you get more musical in the long run. It's a fun world, I would love to just invite people to listen to modded 58Xs all day, to see how they rediscover music.

Last edited:

I think the top reviews that Sonarworks gave to both the HD 650s and the 880 Pros are based on how they react to their calibration software and not necessarily how they sound out of the box.

Also, I think we need to be careful about putting too much weight on one or two peoples strong opinions about what headphones sound the best. We all have our biases that may or may not be based in science.

Last edited:
I think the top reviews that Sonarworks gave to both the HD 650s and the 880 Pros are based on how they react to their calibration software and not necessarily how they sound out of the box.

Also, I think we need to be careful about putting too much weight on one or two peoples strong opinions about what headphones sound the best. We all have our biases that may or may not be based in science.

' .... how they react to their calibration software .... ' crossed mind here as well. So many factors enter in tho.

Procrastination takes its toll, and HD600 min price just jumped from $300. to $400. That hurts _ but my bad for hesitating. Just ordered DT880 Premium 600 ohm as some advise 'smoother response' (whatever that translates to ...).
Likely adding Schiit Asgard 3 today to drive them. ( Drop + THX AAA 789 & S.M.S.L SP200 also on short list ).

Many thanks to all for helping !

Last edited:
I really love my HD600s. They’re the first headphones I’ve had that I feel I could work on confidently. Switching between my tuned ATC monitoring setup and these headphones feels remarkably familiar. I don’t find them forgiving at all and are often a great reality check for me in the mids/highs. :)

p.s. imo, don’t use sonar works with these. It really messes things up. I do however place a small bass boost on them with my RME totalmix software.
Umm. This is awkward. Just realised I was talking about the HD800s. Sorry. :roflmao: :crying:

Top Bottom