Selling my Cinematic Studio Series

Discussion in 'FOR SALE: Music Gear CLASSIFIEDS (Free Service)' started by haikalle, May 2, 2019.

1. DivingInSpace

DivingInSpace Active Member

Feb 10, 2018
    It's a shame, i agree with you all that license transfers should be a normal thing to allow, and i would have loved to get these 2nd hand at some point. I hope you still get some use from them though, can i ask which libraries you use instead?

richardt4520 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    haikalle

haikalle New Member

Dec 11, 2018
    I'm not using any. I had only these. My two hobbies has been this and programming. Lately programming has been taken more and more time so I haven't had time to create music anymore :)

3. Daryl

Daryl Senior Member

Mar 25, 2006
    The issue is the sound recordings. Look at it from your side. If you had licenced a piece of your music to use on a film, would you be happy for the producer, having made their film and used your music, then to sell that licence, so that another director could use your music on another film, without you getting anything for the 2nd usage?

4. OP
    OP
    haikalle

haikalle New Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Maybe we have different point of view how we look these products. I don't see cinematic studio as a recording. I see it as a software to make recordings.

I think that for cinematic studio would like that someone is actually using their product and making nice recordings with it. That would be the best marketing for them. I'm not going to be that guy so I would pass this product to someone else who is creating amazing stuff with it.

5. Daryl

Daryl Senior Member

Mar 25, 2006
    It's not matter of point of view. It's a matter of fact. You purchase a licence to use the recordings. Theoretically if you could sell this licence to use these recordings on, without the permission of the developer, you would also lose the right to use it on already existing tracks.

The simple fact is that you are using a recording (or in this case multiple recordings) to create your own music, and, as in the case with any "sample", the owner of the recording has the right to licence it for only one project, or all of your projects, or to make the licence transferable. Just as you do with your music.

6. OP
    OP
    haikalle

haikalle New Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Thanks Daryl. Now I fully understand your point and it does make senses too.

7. Daryl

Daryl Senior Member

Mar 25, 2006
    No problem. It does take a while to get your head around it...!

8. MarcelM

MarcelM Senior Member

Dec 15, 2014
    well, east west for example has a different take on this. you can subscribe to composer cloud for example, create a song with it and cancel the subscription. the song will be still yours.

9. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    These conversations keep repeating, and almost always people are thinking about it only after they buy. It's precisely the wrong time.

You need to communicate to developers when they are rolling out a new product--which is when they are listening. You need to tell them you'd like them to allow resales, and you'll buy the product if they do, but won't buy it until then.

pderbidge likes this.
  10. GtrString

GtrString Active Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Denmark
    I think it is perfectly fair. It is the buyers responsibility to read the EULA for each product before deciding to press “buy”. You agreed to those terms in the moment of purchase.

In this case, if you sell the software off to one who doesnt know you cant, your buyer will get in trouble facing lawsuits and compensations when releasing music, because of illegit use of samples.

Wasnt there a case with Cinesamples? http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=9356

11. OP
    OP
    haikalle

haikalle New Member

Dec 11, 2018
    I read the article and that's talking more about piracy than reselling your product.

12. GtrString

GtrString Active Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Denmark
    Same thing, if you use samples you don't have the rights to legally use, you are pirating. Or rather.. your buyer will use pirated software if you sell it off and break the EULA, creating a pirate syndicate :laugh:

Last edited: May 6, 2019