What's new

For Sale Selling my Cinematic Studio Series (NOT FOR SALE ANYMORE)

haikalle

These product are for sale from Cinematic Studio Series:

Strings
Piano
Solo Strings
Brass

Make me offer here or to my email: haikalle (at) gmail (dot) com

tadam

4. Restrictions on Copy or Transfer

As in paragraph 1, the license is granted to a single user. A second copy may be made by the same registered user from their hard drive and installed on a subsequent machine for their own use. A third copy may be made and stored for the purposes of back-up and reinstallation. THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT PERMIT THE INSTALLATION OF THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT ON A SYSTEM THAT ALLOWS SHARED USE OF APPLICATIONS, ON A MULTI-USER NETWORK, OR ON ANY CONFIGURATION OR SYSTEM OF COMPUTERS THAT ALLOWS MULTIPLE USERS. Multiple copy use or installation is only allowed if you obtain an appropriate licensing agreement, a Studio/ Multi User License Agreement, which covers each copy and each user of the Software Product.

The Licensee may NOT assign their rights and obligations under this Agreement, or copy, redistribute, encumber, sell, rent, lease, sub-license, or otherwise transfer their rights to the Software Product.

tadam

I think this is a problem: audio recording is also protected by copyright. All uses are subject to royalty. This is not fulfilled during the resale. By purchasing you only get the right to use, you will not be the owner of the recordings. You definitely need a lawyer for clarification.

DivingInSpace

Yeah, you are not reselling software, you are reselling audio (and code). Also, if the guys from Cinematic Studio Series don't wanna do the transfer (which i take you didn't check with them before trying to sell), then how are you going to deliver the product somebody paid you for? Even if you were right, you still need to convince them/take them to court, before putting it up for sale. This is just immoral.

If you actually manages to get proof that this resale is possible, i might be interested in some of the products, but as it stands now this thread should just be removed until.

OP
H

haikalle

Thanks for the info tadam. Very helpful. Maybe I just keep them in the end. But I think that EU gives a very good point.

DivingInSpace

There are many sample libraries that are saying it's okey to resell items.
Yes, but there are also many that says you can't. Spitfire, 8Dio, Orchestral Tools and as far as i remember East West. Allowing re-sale isn't too normal. Also, a lot of those who does still takes a transfer fee (Sound Iron, Project Sam etc.). There is a thread somewhere on the forum about companies that allows resale, you should always check that or check directly with the developer before setting something up for sale :)

Igor Sena

I would never sell my cinematic studio products(unless it got to a point where they were very outdated) but all developers should allow license transfers.
It is just ridiculous to assume you are going to want to keep your libraries forever.

I wouldn't mind if they then took a fee, which I think it's perfectly fair l, and/or limit the transfer so that once you sell it you cannot buy it again and resell it and the copy you previously sold would also become NFR.

I think this would keep both parties(developers and costumers) happy. Maybe the developer not as much as the costumer but it would still be a way better situation in my opinion.
Having that said, I don't develop vsts and plug-ins and don't know anything of how hard it is to sustain a business like that and still pay your bills, employees, royalties to musicians, etc.

What I do know is that I have previously saved alot of hard earned money to support a developer, only to be dissapointed, either with the product or their lack of support for it. Specially - and without mentioning names - developers who even act arrogant when you politely ask them if very bad issues with their libraries are going to be fixed.

Yes I could have checked more demos before spending money but when you don't know better, you can only fall for hype I guess.

Not talking about Alex and his company/products of course. So far I have only been pleased by both the quality and passion he puts into his work and his business mentality and practices, hence why I would never sell my cinematic studio products, even if I could.

P.S. Nowadways, there is a way higher chance that i will buy from a developer who allows license transfers than one that doesnt, with only a few exceptions.

Last edited:
OP
H

haikalle

Thanks Igor. I agree everything you said. I do love my cinematic studio library but realised that I really haven't used them so why to keep them. Maybe I will keep them and learn how to use them but I'm glad I created this thread. There had been very good points from all you guys. Thanks for sharing.

Last week I bought rebelle. It's paint program and it didnt feel right product for me. I got my money back. That gave me good feeling and I think that in the future I'm going to buy that product.

Then I bought cinematic studio brass. When I tested, it didnt feel right to me. Next day I asked refund I got reply that it's not possible. I agree that there was many videos out there that showed the power of the product. But it's not the same when you can really test it out for yourself. Alex is really nice guy and I have only good things to say about him, but I really like that EU statement what really tries to say that reselling the product should be possible to do.

Land of Missing Parts

flibbertigibbet
Nowadways, there is a way higher chance that i will buy from a developer who allows license transfers than one that doesnt, with only a few exceptions.
This. The point of leverage is before you buy. When they introduce a new product, add it to the conversation, "I would buy it if they would consider allowing resales."

The moment you buy, the leverage is gone. The developer has no reason to listen.

wst3

my office these days
At the risk of sounding simplistic, the issue of refunds, resale, etc would not even exist if everyone showed respect for the intellectual property rights of developers. We all know that is not the case.

I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment. I am very wary of purchasing from any developer that does not allow for resale or refunds.

In Alex's case I heard so many positive reviews, and listened to so many lovely demos - and (this is key) I was able to examine the MIDI files for his demos so I had a clue about what I might need to do, so I took a leap of faith on Cinematic Strings. After that I had no doubts, and gladly licensed the rest of his libraries.

In the case of Vienna Instruments I have the starter editions but won't be expanding on that anytime soon. While they allow resale, their policy on the e-licenser puts me off. That whole leverage thing?

I wish this were simpler!

Igor Sena

At the risk of sounding simplistic, the issue of refunds, resale, etc would not even exist if everyone showed respect for the intellectual property rights of developers. We all know that is not the case.

I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment. I am very wary of purchasing from any developer that does not allow for resale or refunds.

In Alex's case I heard so many positive reviews, and listened to so many lovely demos - and (this is key) I was able to examine the MIDI files for his demos so I had a clue about what I might need to do, so I took a leap of faith on Cinematic Strings. After that I had no doubts, and gladly licensed the rest of his libraries.

I wish this were simpler!
Well said on the developers rights.

It is very complicated for the developers to allow resales, transfers, due to piracy and the survival of their companies.
Having that said, it is also not fair for the ones who support a company to have to pay for others mistakes when it comes to piracy.

I have even transfered products and rebought them later or used the resale money to buy other things from the same developer.
Now, will a developer lose money on the product you resell/transfer but win it back by the new costumer potentially buying their other stuff or you re-spending that money on their other products, everytime? That's probably not true, and again, they still have to worry about piracy, but we also know their products will be pirated whether they allow license transfers or not. There are plenty examples of this on the internet.

Thats why in my opinion an allowance for transfer with a fee, limiting you to not be able to transfer it a second time if you rebuy it and that product becoming NFR would be a good medium between them being happy and us being less hesitant to purchase something you will have to keep forever, even when your future purchases are better, more advanced, up to the times, etc

I also agree with you about Alex's products and ways of business. Even tho I have way more pianos than I need, I still want to buy his piano to support him but haven't been able to do so:)

MarcelM

Well said on the developers rights.

It is very complicated for the developers to allow resales, transfers, due to piracy and the survival of their companies.
Having that said, it is also not fair for the ones who support a company to have to pay for others mistakes when it comes to piracy.

I have even transfered products and rebought them later or used the resale money to buy other things from the same developer.
Now, will a developer lose money on the product you resell/transfer but win it back by the new costumer potentially buying their other stuff or you re-spending that money on their other products, everytime? That's probably not true, and again, they still have to worry about piracy, but we also know their products will be pirated whether they allow license transfers or not. There are plenty examples of this on the internet.

Thats why in my opinion an allowance for transfer with a fee, limiting you to not be able to transfer it a second time if you rebuy it and that product becoming NFR would be a good medium between them being happy and us being less hesitant to purchase something you will have to keep forever, even when your future purchases are better, more advanced, up to the times, etc

I also agree with you about Alex's products and ways of business. Even tho I have way more pianos than I need, I still want to buy his piano to support him but haven't been able to do so:)
if its possible for developers like project sam it should be possible for every developer. thats my two cents about this and i never understood why some other big developers dont allow this. its just not fair.

Mason

Some developers make exceptions to their policies so it could be worth writing to them and explain your situation.

OP
H

haikalle

I wrote to Alex and explained my situation. I got quick reply and he again said that no reselling or license transfer is not allowed. Reason for this he said:
We've taken this position because software cannot be "repackaged and returned"
I don't fully understand that statement because they can have full control who is using their product and who is not. And lisence transfer could be as easy for them as changing new email and name for their serial number. But situation is what it is so I think I have no choise in this case :(

Top Bottom