What's new

Select Cubase track with external keypad

bcarwell

I was watching a tutorial on Youtube.

It looked like the presenter was quickly selecting and trying out sounds of numerous different tracks in his large Cubase template with a large keypad and then playing/auditioning the resulting new sound with his keyboard.

I assume then that I can activate different tracks in my Cubase template with MIDI CC messages assigned to different pads in an external keypad ?

With a keypad having the pads labelled with different instruments in a template, this seems to me a good way to quickly select a track from my 30 track Cubase template without having to fiddle with mousing around and paging to find the desired track/instrument

Is this possible in Cubase ? And if so, what are some good 30-40 pad MIDI keypads to consider ?

Bob

Its easy with project logical editor with lemur (or any pad can send midi message). Make a logical editor preset. And setting in Generic remote. Ill give you detail later (I’m playing with my son right now :)

FF- a big THANKS. Looking forward to details. I've diddled with Generic Remote but in meantime will read up on Logical Editor presets in Cubase. Do you do what I'm trying to do, e.g. use your Lemur to select tracks ? In particular I'm unclear exactly what the MIDI messages are to instruct Cubase to jump to and arm a track of your choice. And any recommendations for a suitable dedicated keypad for this purpose ? Have fun with your son !- Best, Bob

We might have to take this offline and PM if it gets too specific to my needs, as I hate to hog V.I. bandwidth. WOW regarding Logical Editor- I've been watching tutorials and had no idea how powerful it is.

I actually have two different needs. One is to change, for a given instrument track and VSTi in Cubase, the selected patch with a hardware keypad like those used for DJ'ing (30 pads or so)

The other is to be able to change with the keypad to another instrument track in my Cubase template which has a different VSTi loaded on it, and then proceed as above changing the instrument/articulation that the particular track has assigned to it for auditioning.

Back to watching Logical Editor videos...

Bob

Sorry for late response.
and please bear in mind my english

to send midi message to cubase. Im using cc. Its very easy with lemer. But if you want hardware device. LaunchPad is best. It has 64 pad.I heard it can be programmed to cc controller.

and you know how to program logical editor?
You should use unique track name and select with ple. And recalled from genelic remote.
And its unclear about your second need.
You want select different articulation or keyswitch in your track?
If so you can use expression map. Its a another territory. But its also easy.
You can combine track select and track freely.

let me know your progression. Good luck

Looks like the Akai APC Mini might be better for me- same price as Launchpad but apparently may be less designed for Ableton and better for Cubase.

I am learning Logical Editor. But at the moment what I'm having trouble with is understanding exactly what MIDI message a keypad controller button is set to transmit to cause change in Cubase from one track to another ? Is it just an available CC key number ? And then in Cubase generic remote is where that incoming CC from the button gets translated to whatever Cubase command is needed to move to another Cubase track ?

If so, where do you find the command responsive to the incoming CC from the keypad that causes the shift to the next track ?

"You should use unique track name and select with ple" What is a "ple" ?

My second need is to switch to a different instrument patch within the same VSTi instrument on the same track (e.g. switch from the trumpet to the trombone). I am not talking about switching
tracks or switching articulations (which I know can be done with keyswitches and expression maps).

Bob

Just learned apparently the keypads for both the Novation Launchpad and the Akai APC Mini basically have fixed pads that just send MIDI note CC and are mostly intended for Ableton. So I guess, at the same price point, they're about the same.

As for how do you make those MIDI notes incoming to Cubase translate to selecting a track or instrument in a VSTi, and how do you find the Cubase command(s) for doing so, is the answer to do with
macros ? Obviously I am a complete newbie at this with generic remote, logical editor, etc.

Feel like I'm talking to myself to work through this- hope somebody responds again.

Seems like, after looking at options, the best and simplest thing is to construct macros for my PC keyboard's keys with native Cubase key commands necessary to do what I want (e.g. change tracks or change instruments in a VSTi on a given track).

In other words, no need for an additional Novation Launchpad or Akai keypads, or Lemur with iPad, etc., etc., or diddling with generic remote, or Cubase logical editor, etc.

Is this correct ?

Bob

I did something pretty close to what you want a few years ago. Dealing with the Project Logical Editor can be *really* tricky because some of the generic remote functionality is buggy, so you have to figure out some workarounds. This setup can do what you're looking for with a couple tweaks in the macros.

I'd definitely use Lemur over somthing like a pad controller. Being able to put text on the buttons is a tremendous workflow enhancer because you'll never remember what's what.

WOW my pity party worked RG. I will dive in immediately, hopefully not off the high board.

A big thanks for the guidance...

Best,

Bob

Sorry to jump on this thread but I'm hoping someone may know the answer as I can't seem to find it ANYWHERE.

I have brought an Akai APC mini and I am trying to map the faders to control expression and modulation and pother things. I have Cubase Artist 10.

Does anybody know how to do this please?

Top Bottom