What's new

See any good movies lately?

Professor and the Madman - True story about the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary, starring Mel Gibson and Sean Penn. Well done, both do a great job. On Netflix

Netflix's Fatherhood was pretty heartwarming.

The Hunt for Wilderpeople is another brilliant one.

Both on Netflix.

Sphere. Dustin Hoffman in a sci fi film, what could go wrong? Everything really. Sucked.

Prospect. On Netflix. Another sci fi clunker...not as bad as Sphere, but not worth the time IMO.

Couldn't make it past the first hour of 'Wolf Of Wall Street'. Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread.

lol nah, should have just said something like "movie reviews" - mentioning ones to avoid has value IMO

I watched the 2015 adaption of Macbeth directed by Australian director Justin Kurzel. I was pretty blown away by it. One of the best films I have seen in a long time. Great acting and cinematography. The music was done by his brother Jed Kurzel. The music was good and not too over the top. It was perfect for the film as the cinematography and performances were very strong.

Watched Grand Piano last night
I enjoyed the concert atmosphere and the cat and mouse game played between the two leads
Kind of an incredible scenario but, suspend disbelief and enjoy

I'll usually check the IMDb rating on a movie or show. If it's much below a 7, I typically don't watch it. There are exceptions and I've seen stuff with lower ratings that I've really enjoyed.

But generally the IMDb rating is the best barometer for me. I don't trust Rotten Tomatoes. Too many 11 years-olds writing reviews.

(YMMV)

I'll usually check the IMDb rating on a movie or show. If it's much below a 7, I typically don't watch it. There are exceptions and I've seen stuff with lower ratings that I've really enjoyed.

But generally the IMDb rating is the best barometer for me. I don't trust Rotten Tomatoes. Too many 11 years-olds writing reviews.

(YMMV)
tbh I don't trust either. I've seen enough movies highly praised on IMDB that sucked too. I try to avoid ratings and such altogether and just give a movie a shot. I do admit though if I hear something that is universally panned by pretty much everyone, that's usually a good barometer.

Black Widow: not great, pretty much a by the numbers superhero flick, but not bad, as long as you go in with that in mind. Lots of action and stuff blowing up etc as you'd expect. The jokes seemed forced and the majority IMO pretty lame and character development was poor, but hey, it's a superhero flick, I didn't expect Shakespeare :)

The token epilogue shown near the end of the credits that gives a sneak preview to the next film was IMO lame, both in its implications and the cameo by someone well-known for something else - don't want to spoil it, but it was IMO a poor casting choice.

tbh I don't trust either. I've seen enough movies highly praised on IMDB that sucked too.
True. I've had that happen too. But more often than not, it tracks relatively close for me.
Black Widow: not great, pretty much a by the numbers superhero flick, but not bad, as long as you go in with that in mind. Lots of action and stuff blowing up etc as you'd expect. The jokes seemed forced and the majority IMO pretty lame and character development was poor, but hey, it's a superhero flick, I didn't expect Shakespeare :)
Yeah, I'll cut action movies and comedies some slack on the IMDb rating. But only on something I'm pretty sure I wanna see.

Couldn't make it past the first hour of 'Wolf Of Wall Street'. Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread.

I'm no prude, but 3-hours of watching the shenanigans of total reprobate vermin characters just ain't my bag :2thumbs:
Thought I wasn't going to like it either, basically for the same reasons. But it grew on me as I kept watching.

Foxfire - A Hallmark film, originally a play, starring Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy, and John Denver. They are a family from the very rural Appalachian Mountains, her a widow of Cronyn (real husband and wife btw), but Cronyn "appears" as a character who she talks to, though she is well aware he's gone. Denver is the son who is a famous country singer now (hm I wonder how he got that part) and returns home to visit and try to talk her into moving in with him in (I believe) Florida. Various family issues come to light, some of it in flashbacks. Denver IMO does a really great job here, perfect for the role but not just because of his music, a very under-appreciated acting talent. And really it's just IMO excellent in general, you can see the theatrical roots here. It's sad how hard this is to find though. Meanwhile the Matrix flicks are readily available. gag.

Kong: Skull Island - King Kong is back. Fairly flawed even for a monster flick, but it's OK if you go in allowing for that (and why would you not with a monster movie). The whole "Acopolypse Now" Vietnam era backdrop was mostly stupid IMO, esp in the beginning. John Goodman was mostly wasted here and Samuel L Jackson is generally annoying in an over the top way, but then again he is more or less the antagonist. Some good action and effects. Brie Larson is very hot. Not bad for an action summer flick all in all but could've been better.

Top Bottom