What's new

See any good movies lately?

bill5

Or bad? :)

I just saw "Good Will Hunting" recently, for the second time after a number of years. A mostly excellent film IMO and with one of the best movie speeches ever (Robin Williams talking to Matt Damon in the park).

A little while back I caught "Godzilla 2014" Light summer fun. Pretty good overall IMO. I miss the silly 60s version of Godzilla, but at least they deferred to it to a reasonable degree and really not a bad movie overall, unlike most Godzilla movies.

Last edited:
Charlie Kaufman's "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" (on Netflix) is my favorite film since lockdown. It's weird and disturbing, very funny, sometimes confusing, scary, and often unexpectedly beautiful, but when you get to the end it all kind of comes together in a new way. It's worth waiting for. And then you have to figure out what you think about it.

The only thing that's too bad is that it is the perfect film to go out for dinner with friends afterward and debate what exactly you've seen. Don't read anything before you see it--but reading about it afterward is fascinating.

Charlie Kaufman's "I'm Thinking of Ending Things"

So clever, but not irritatingly up itself clever, just worthwhile to watch. I think the later Kaufman films are under-appreciated because they tend to be about the horrors, regrets and embarrassments of getting older, of being a bit lost in memory or imagination about what could have been.

I almost wanna say "No, do they even make those anymore?".

I like a lot of the various adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, but when I tried watching the new "Enola Holmes" on netflix with my girlfriend, we decided that it was a waste of our time, and turned it off after 30 minutes.
I enjoyed it. But yes, no masterpiece.

I miss the silly 60s version of Godzilla

I saw that movie when I was very young. Decades after, into the first Jurrasic Park movie, it came back to my mind when we hear the T. Rex footsteps slowly approaching. Pretty sure it's not a coincidence.

Saw The Hateful Eight for the first time recently (I know... have I been living under a rock?). Absolutely masterful storytelling, not to mention Morricone's last American feature film score.

The Accountant - an action crime thriller starring Ben Affleck (who IMO doesn't get enough credit) - he's a highly-functional autistic who hires out as an accountant for shady characters - good movie if you're into that kind of thing.

I bought a copy of The Legend of 1900 last year, and it sat on my shelf in its shrinkwrap.

When I finally got around to watching, I couldn't believe I had missed this gem of a film and it's stunning soundtrack...

Last edited:
I just saw "Good Will Hunting" recently, for the second time after a number of years. A mostly excellent film IMO and with one of the best movie speeches ever (Robin Williams talking to Matt Damon in the park).

A little while back I caught "Godzilla 2014" :) Light summer fun. Pretty good overall IMO. I miss the silly 60s version of Godzilla, but at least they deferred to it to a reasonable degree and really not a bad movie overall, unlike most Godzilla movies.
Seabiscuit 🐎

Saw The Hateful Eight for the first time recently (I know... have I been living under a rock?). Absolutely masterful storytelling, not to mention Morricone's last American feature film score.
I appreciate this film more and more after multiple viewings. The opening scene always resonated strongly with me due to Morricone's music and the cinematography.

I almost wanna say "No, do they even make those anymore?".

I like a lot of the various adaptations of Sherlock Holmes, but when I tried watching the new "Enola Holmes" on netflix with my girlfriend, we decided that it was a waste of our time, and turned it off after 30 minutes.

Really? Both my wife and I enjoyed it.

Really? Both my wife and I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed it. But yes, no masterpiece.

I was looking forward to it since I couldn't remember having seen a Holmes adaptation yet that I didn't like. Dr. House, Elementary, Sherlock, and the movies with Robert Downey Jr. - all great imho. Since I only watched half an hour of Enola I'm obviously not in a position to talk about the film as a whole, but based from what I saw I'm surprised that people liked it. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it though!

A friend of mine has such a radically different taste in movies and series than me, I've started to go for anticyclic choices. The recent Marvel movies he liked, I hated. And the ones I liked, he hates. He hates the Nolan movies that I liked (including Inception) and I can't bring myself to keep watching the shows he likes, because I can't stand how uncomfortable they make me feel. There's almost no overlap of things that we like in that medium it seems. But at least we agreed that Season 1 of One Punch Man was a lot of fun.

So, because of that somewhat predictable pattern that seemed to form in our recommendations, I gave the show "Dark" another chance, just because he hated it so much. And so far I actually quite enjoy it. Maybe I'm the one with the weird taste, because I can totally see that some of the shows that I like are objectively worse than some that I dislike, but I can't help it.

I've been frustrated by movies so often in recent years, I feel less and less motivated to even start watching one and have stopped watching a lot more often than I used to. I don't think I've ever liked a movie where I thought the first half hour was terrible, so why keep watching if that far into it I'm not hooked yet?

What I find interesting is that some old movies that never were considered very good (like Alien 4) now feel above average to me, compared to the modern stuff that I can't stand.

Top Bottom