What's new

See any good movies lately?

Tim_Wells

Tim Wells
tbh I don't trust either. I've seen enough movies highly praised on IMDB that sucked too.
True. I've had that happen too. But more often than not, it tracks relatively close for me.
Black Widow: not great, pretty much a by the numbers superhero flick, but not bad, as long as you go in with that in mind. Lots of action and stuff blowing up etc as you'd expect. The jokes seemed forced and the majority IMO pretty lame and character development was poor, but hey, it's a superhero flick, I didn't expect Shakespeare :)
Yeah, I'll cut action movies and comedies some slack on the IMDb rating. But only on something I'm pretty sure I wanna see.

Couldn't make it past the first hour of 'Wolf Of Wall Street'. Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread.

I'm no prude, but 3-hours of watching the shenanigans of total reprobate vermin characters just ain't my bag :2thumbs:
Thought I wasn't going to like it either, basically for the same reasons. But it grew on me as I kept watching.

OP
B

bill5

Foxfire - A Hallmark film, originally a play, starring Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy, and John Denver. They are a family from the very rural Appalachian Mountains, her a widow of Cronyn (real husband and wife btw), but Cronyn "appears" as a character who she talks to, though she is well aware he's gone. Denver is the son who is a famous country singer now (hm I wonder how he got that part) and returns home to visit and try to talk her into moving in with him in (I believe) Florida. Various family issues come to light, some of it in flashbacks. Denver IMO does a really great job here, perfect for the role but not just because of his music, a very under-appreciated acting talent. And really it's just IMO excellent in general, you can see the theatrical roots here. It's sad how hard this is to find though. Meanwhile the Matrix flicks are readily available. gag.

OP
B

bill5

Kong: Skull Island - King Kong is back. Fairly flawed even for a monster flick, but it's OK if you go in allowing for that (and why would you not with a monster movie). The whole "Acopolypse Now" Vietnam era backdrop was mostly stupid IMO, esp in the beginning. John Goodman was mostly wasted here and Samuel L Jackson is generally annoying in an over the top way, but then again he is more or less the antagonist. Some good action and effects. Brie Larson is very hot. Not bad for an action summer flick all in all but could've been better.

OP
B

bill5

Big - saw before but been a long time. Holds up well, as most Hanks' movies do. Elizabeth Perkins is so hot. :)

SteveC

If you need a break from the current film world, I would like to recommend the following to you:

Somewhat more modern:

darcvision

The Village (2004) : underrated movie by m night shyamalan, great soundtrack, and great twist.
Amelie (2001) : unique storytelling, great soundtrack by yann tiersen.
Barry Lyndon (1975) : a wild life story.
Psycho (1960) : love it especially the ending and great soundtrack.
Come and See (1985) : the most anti-war movie i've seen. second one is grave of the fireflies.
Chinatown (1974) : great movie and great soundtrack. still can't believe jerry goldsmith did the soundtrack for only 10 days.

OP
B

bill5

Psycho (1960) : love it especially the ending and great soundtrack.
Never saw or probably ever will since some idiot gave away the ending to me. Being Hitchcock, I'm sure it's good though.

Tim_Wells

Tim Wells
Not high art. But for some good old fashion suspense/drama fun, "Clickbait" on Netflix is quite entertaining.

(edit: Just finished this. Unfortunately, the ending was pretty dumb.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom