What's new

See any good movies lately?

doctoremmet

No. Not really.
I think they stopped making movies a decade ago. Now they mostly make very expensive demo reels for:
- color correction
- FX where you really don't need it
- pathetic acting
- very "subtle" political agendas
- bad and cheap remakes of the original masterpieces

I could go on....there are exceptions here and there but very, very rare these days IMHO.
Your view may be somewhat restricted to the phenomenon of Hollywood produced films, am I right? I’m having a hard time deciphering who are meant with “they”.

Tim_Wells

Tim Wells
My wife and I loved the Netflix series “Call My Agent” so much that we were depressed for days when it ended. It’s about the agents and other workers at a Parisian agency, ASK, that represents actors and directors. The twist is that well-known French actors like Isabelle Huppert, Monica Bellucci, Jean Reno, Nathalie Baye, and others play the clients, as sort of exaggerated versions of themselves. It’s also shot on real locations—people step outside a door and their out on the street, so if you love Paris, you will enjoy that. But the reason we’ll miss the show is that we loved the characters so much.

4 seasons of six episodes each, and they say they have no plans to make any more. It’s a huge hit on Netflix, so maybe they will change their mind. But the stars are already appearing in big movies, so I don’t know if they’ll be ever be able to get the gang back together again.

The French title of the show is “Ten Percent.”
Based on your recommendation, my wife and I started watching it. We really like it! We're about half-way through. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but something about the show just works. The characters are great and seem very real.

Warning! It's 100% subtitles. That almost scared us away. Glad it didn't.

3DC

Your view may be somewhat restricted to the phenomenon of Hollywood produced films, am I right? I’m having a hard time deciphering who are meant with “they”.

Yes I meant Hollywood but also 90% of "instant movie" production in general. I am sorry for hard time. I was replaying to two other movie threads at the same time. I'll never do it again....ever!

sorry.png

OP
B

bill5

Professor and the Madman - True story about the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary, starring Mel Gibson and Sean Penn. Well done, both do a great job. On Netflix

mscp

Netflix's Fatherhood was pretty heartwarming.

The Hunt for Wilderpeople is another brilliant one.

Both on Netflix.

OP
B

bill5

Sphere. Dustin Hoffman in a sci fi film, what could go wrong? Everything really. Sucked.

OP
B

bill5

Prospect. On Netflix. Another sci fi clunker...not as bad as Sphere, but not worth the time IMO.

el-bo

When life gives you lemons, swap 'em for mangos
Couldn't make it past the first hour of 'Wolf Of Wall Street'. Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread.

OP
B

bill5

lol nah, should have just said something like "movie reviews" - mentioning ones to avoid has value IMO

darkogav

Stupid Dead Music
I watched the 2015 adaption of Macbeth directed by Australian director Justin Kurzel. I was pretty blown away by it. One of the best films I have seen in a long time. Great acting and cinematography. The music was done by his brother Jed Kurzel. The music was good and not too over the top. It was perfect for the film as the cinematography and performances were very strong.

MorphineNoir

Watched Grand Piano last night
I enjoyed the concert atmosphere and the cat and mouse game played between the two leads
Kind of an incredible scenario but, suspend disbelief and enjoy

Tim_Wells

Tim Wells
I'll usually check the IMDb rating on a movie or show. If it's much below a 7, I typically don't watch it. There are exceptions and I've seen stuff with lower ratings that I've really enjoyed.

But generally the IMDb rating is the best barometer for me. I don't trust Rotten Tomatoes. Too many 11 years-olds writing reviews.

(YMMV)

OP
B

bill5

I'll usually check the IMDb rating on a movie or show. If it's much below a 7, I typically don't watch it. There are exceptions and I've seen stuff with lower ratings that I've really enjoyed.

But generally the IMDb rating is the best barometer for me. I don't trust Rotten Tomatoes. Too many 11 years-olds writing reviews.

(YMMV)
tbh I don't trust either. I've seen enough movies highly praised on IMDB that sucked too. I try to avoid ratings and such altogether and just give a movie a shot. I do admit though if I hear something that is universally panned by pretty much everyone, that's usually a good barometer.

Black Widow: not great, pretty much a by the numbers superhero flick, but not bad, as long as you go in with that in mind. Lots of action and stuff blowing up etc as you'd expect. The jokes seemed forced and the majority IMO pretty lame and character development was poor, but hey, it's a superhero flick, I didn't expect Shakespeare :)

The token epilogue shown near the end of the credits that gives a sneak preview to the next film was IMO lame, both in its implications and the cameo by someone well-known for something else - don't want to spoil it, but it was IMO a poor casting choice.

Top Bottom