Pride and Prejudice
The Shining
Proof
We Were Soldiers
Platoon
Midnight Express

Last edited:

AudioLoco

Not that anyone cares but I need to vent my frustration...

I started watching Tenet and just abandoned half way...
What the f... was I watching?!
When the bad guy started talking backwards the pretentious stupidity was just too much for me....

I was watching with subtitles on, maybe it was better without so I could have had a doubt it was me not understanding what was going on as the dialougues are "somewhere" in the mix (I think after having read the various discussions about the dialougue's level in the movie, that Nolan decided to mix them that way because he became self aware of how idiotic was the whole thing while working on the final audio mix, and was hoping for people to just think they didn't understand a masterpiece or something)

Sorry rant over, put me back in the cupboard now.... :)

MartinH.

I watched 47 Ronin with my girlfriend yesterday, and even though the movie has poor review scores, we enjoyed it. I think as long as there aren't too many modern hollywood tropes I'm not super picky, but I find it harder and harder to enjoy any modern mainstream blockbusters. Deadpool 2 was a notable exception, that one I really liked! It had a fun little composer easter egg in the "epic choir" part of the soundtrack :D.

ProtectedRights

Summer of '84 (from 2018)

French movie, starts as a teen comedy, ends as a really suspenseful thriller. No happy end. For once, the film is made really sympathetic and even "guy walks into a dark room very slowly and suddenly booooom" effects don't turn me off as they usually do.

OP
B

bill5

Palm Springs - a sort of Groundhog Day thing where this guy and girl get stuck in the same day where her younger sister gets married. This got good reviews and I've no idea why; I watched with a few friends and we all thought it sucked. Very seedy and low-brow (so might work for those who like that).

OP
B

bill5

Birdman - Another clunker. I can't believe this won awards (well wait, knowing Hollywood, I can...). Every character is either totally unlikable, uninteresting, or not even believable. The story wasn't either. Just Hollywood going all self-indulgent on itself. Barf.

clarkcontrol

The Accountant - an action crime thriller starring Ben Affleck (who IMO doesn't get enough credit) - he's a highly-functional autistic who hires out as an accountant for shady characters - good movie if you're into that kind of thing.
My favorite affleck movie. Really excellent music on that. It was good enough for a sequel imho.

OP
B

bill5

Into the White - true story - here's the imdb recap - A group of British and German soldiers find themselves stranded in the wilderness after an aircraft battle. Finding shelter in the same cabin, they realize the only way to survive the winter is to place the rules of war aside.

Good film IMO.

3DC

No. Not really.
I think they stopped making movies a decade ago. Now they mostly make very expensive demo reels for:
- color correction
- FX where you really don't need it
- pathetic acting
- very "subtle" political agendas
- bad and cheap remakes of the original masterpieces

I could go on....there are exceptions here and there but very, very rare these days IMHO.

md11

I, Daniel Blake was a great watch. a hilarious view on the uk beneficial system. no music which i thought was a good choice.

Top Bottom