1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret Plugins

Discussion in 'Post Production & Mixing Discussion' started by Mathematics, Aug 14, 2015.

1. musictech

musictech Member

Dec 30, 2015
    dynamic spectrum mapper
    psp vintage warmer
    thrillseeker vbl ! !-free
    tokyo sound nova eq-free
    kotelnikov -free!
    slate vmr.i think that the ssl model in it has the best eq for boosting highs!
    soundtoys: primal tap,echoboy

eventide h3000 native
    stillwell badbusmojo (extreme ?)

for low cost but very good plugins look at sknote,stilwell,klangehelm

2. Jack Weaver

Jack Weaver Senior Member

Aug 23, 2004
  3. Garlu

Garlu Senior Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Valencia, Spain
    Their M/S plugin is simply amazing. Easy and effective! :)

I am a big fan of +10db's compressor. Put it on the master and sample libraries seem to come into life! (even if you are compressing very little!).

4. Leo Badinella

Leo Badinella Senior Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Airwindows Channel4 followed by Airwindows FromTape3

synthpunk likes this.
  5. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Orcel, what's HOFA? Are you using the stand-alone plug-ins or the ones that run on their +DSP card?

Just curious, because I've been using a 2882 +DSP for years - great interface - and never really bothered with their plug-ins. When I looked at them in the '90s, their EQ was good, but their compressors weren't the best around.

6. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    One that people don't talk about is Cytonic's The Glue, a terrific bus compressor. I think it's supposed to be a model of the SSL one. It really does glue.

But I don't think there are any secret plug-ins that will save the world. The differences between most of the standard processes are more subtle than that - not that I don't love plug-ins as much as anyone else!

catsass and anp27 like this.
  7. Living Fossil

Living Fossil Senior Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Melda mxxx.
    Its possibilities are just stunning...

8. ghandizilla

ghandizilla Lick Furry

I did test SlickHDR. The slight difference is definitely noticeable. We hear details more easily and it doesn't affect the dynamic contrasts. I tend not to use compressors in an orchestral setting, just to keep my balances natural, and I believe it's a good alternative to an actual compressor. I had a question about bx_control. I use the Binaural Panning function of Panagement for most of my panning, it's really a great tool, but I am under the impression that it slightly moves the walls. Would bx_control work better for panning?

9. Vin

Vin uᴉΛ

Feb 14, 2014
    The Zone
    Ignite Amps PTEq-X

Amazing on strings. My favorite character EQ along with SlickEQ (GE).

synthpunk likes this.
  10. anp27

anp27 Senior Member

Jul 13, 2014
  11. ghandizilla

ghandizilla Lick Furry

Interesting... I wonder how you would use such a tool in an orchestral environment. For example, would you priorize strings over woods, and then woods over brass, and then brass over perc, or would you create a bus to priorize for instance just strings?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 3:01 AM
  12. anp27

anp27 Senior Member

Jul 13, 2014
    You've got the right idea.

ghandizilla likes this.
  13. ghandizilla

ghandizilla Lick Furry

Another question. I often use FabFilter Saturn to enhance my strings' high end. What can Vintage Warmer achieve, which FabFilter Saturn can not? (Vintage Warmer has been recommended several times in this topic.)

Rob Elliott likes this.
  14. mmjohan

mmjohan Active Member

Aug 19, 2015
  15. Rob Elliott

Rob Elliott Senior Member

I also use FF Saturn for strings (love it) - same question from me

16. whitewasteland

whitewasteland Senior Member

Mar 9, 2016
    In the middle of nowhere.
    Saturn should be more in the bright/clear/detailed side, and has tons of options for various and creative uses.

Vintage Warmer is, well, warmer :) More in the tape emulation territory.

I would personnaly use Saturn to "excite" things and Vintage Warmer to "tame" transients and soften things.

My two cents !

Rob Elliott and ghandizilla like this.
  17. ghandizilla

ghandizilla Lick Furry

Thanks a lot! This topic is the most interesting I've been around since several months. Dynamic Spectrum Mapper has been recommended at the top of this page. I already use FabFilter Pro-L for limiting, I like the "gentle" film preset which uses the "transparent" algorithm. Having googled DSM, I've read dithyrambic stuff about it. So, I'll go into an analog question as the previous one, the kind of "do I need it?" question : what would DSM bring that other limiters don't have? In which context would it be the right tool?