SCS con sordino legato patch vibrato control

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by erikradbo, Jun 12, 2019 at 9:04 AM.

1. erikradbo

erikradbo Active Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    First, I want to give myself credit for creating a very long title without actually making a sentence. Yes, it's a challenge.

Then, how do you manage vibrato in the con sordino legato patch in SCS? The only way to get con sordino legato in the first place seems to be to load it as an individual articulation (can't find a performance legato version), and that one has a vibrato control, but it doesn't seem to actually control the vibrato which is full on the whole time.

EDIT: Realised that the con sordino legato is also available through the legato (decorative) patch, which doesn't even have a fake vibrato control. Maybe that's a sign.

EDIT II: Also, while I'm at it: what's the difference between the "Performance Legato" patches who has their own folder and the "Legato Performance" patches in the "Legato techniques" folder. They do actually look a bit different.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 9:13 AM
  2. Vik

Vik Scandi Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Performance Legato is the newest and most intelligent solution. Legato Performance is an older version. Here's their own explanation (https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007143734-How-does-Performance-Legato-work-):

"Introduction
    Performance Legato is a concept aimed to give you incredible playability and performance in one simple and easy-to-use patch. These patches are currently available in Spitfire Chamber Strings, Symphonic Strings, Solo Strings, and Symphonic Brass.

What is Legato?
    In Sampling, legatos are long articulations with a programmed/recorded 'transition' between the notes. Typically, long articulations include an attack sample, a sustain sample (which is then looped), and a release sample. All of these are then stitched together to make what you hear when you press a key. The final result of this is that you can play a phrase of music that sounds more realistic than if you were to play it using all long notes.

You would use our 'fingered' legato for notes which are connected by or contained within a slur on a musical score; the 'bowed' legato is best used for notes which are marked détaché which means each note is played with a new stroke of the bow; and 'portamento' legato is used where you want the pitch to slide between notes, usually indicated by a wavy line connecting the notes in the score.

How It Works
    The way that Performance legato functions can be split into 3 sections: Attack, Transitions & Vibrato. All of these are factors in how you can 'perform' lines with your MIDI controller.

Note: The below figures are specific to our current performance legato patches for Symphonic Strings & Chamber Strings. Whilst Symphonic Brass behaves in the same way, there are some things not included due to the nature of the instruments, such as the runs.

Attack (Short Articulations)
    Velocity 1-9 / Smooth Attack

Velocity 10-127 / 4 dynamic layers of Spiccato (6x RR)

Slow Transitions
    Velocity 1-19 / Portamento

Velocity 20-84 / Fingered or 'Slurred'

Velocity 85-127 / Bowed

Fast Transitions
    Velocity 1-84 / Fast Fingered or 'Slurred'

Velocity 85-127 / Fast Fingered or 'Slurred' with accent.

Run Transitions
    Velocity 1-84 / Fingered or 'Slurred' runs (Minor 2nd, Major 2nd & Minor 3rd)

Velocity 85-127 / Fingered or 'Slurred' runs (Minor 2nd, Major 2nd & Minor 3rd with accent)

Vibrato
    Senza Vibrato, Molto Vibrato & Non Vibrato. Triggered and controlled by CC21."

And here's their answer to your question (https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/h...o-Performance-and-Performance-Legato-patches-):

"If you are an owner of Spitfire Symphonic Strings or Spitfire Chamber Strings, you may notice that you have 2 different folders for legato patches. The first are "Legato Performance" patches, and the others are "Performance Legato".

There are some key differences between these patches:

Performance Legato
    The Performance Legato patches were released later than the Legato Performance, meaning that these patches are more up to date. For information on how the Performance Legato patches work, please see here.

Key features in the Performance Legato patches include:

- Layered attacks (short notes are automatically layered into the highest velocities, simulating a hard attack)

- Soft attacks triggered at the lowest velocity

- The ability to play 'short' notes such as spiccato depending on the length of time that notes are held

- Automatically responds to playing speed to trigger different transitions

- Functions as an 'all-in-one' playable patch

[​IMG]

Legato Performance
    These patches are the original legato patches from the libraries. Generally we recommend using the Performance Legato patches, however there are some differences that can be taken advantage of.

Key features in the Legato Performance patches include:

- The ability to change which transitions trigger at specfic velocities, speeds, and dynamics (Ctrl/Cmd + Click articulations)

- The option to 'purge' or unload certain articulations from memory

- Using 'mix by articulation' to change microphone positions depending on the articulation (ie. adding more 'close' signal for runs)

[​IMG]"

And, before you write "Wouldn't it have been better with two names that weren't so easy to mix up?": I agree. :)

erikradbo and Jonas Hallstrom like this.
  3. Henu

Henu Senior Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Finland
    ^ There are also differencies between the patches in the scripting. For example, for cheesy China- inspired portamentos you want to use the Legato Performance patches, as it can perform much slower than the slowest portamento in the Performance Legato patch.
    The second thing is the runs, which at least I can never get to work with the new patch, while the old patch plays the runs exactly how they are supposed to sound like.

Vik likes this.
  4. Gerbil

Gerbil Active Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I have my fingers crossed that a future update to SStS has a few of these patches.

Vik likes this.
  5. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Agreed. What I've done, and is a bit tricky to get balanced, but I have two patches simultaneously..one with legato performance, and the other with performance legato.. LOL Covers all bases. Vln1 and Vln2

6. Markus Kohlprath

Markus Kohlprath Active Member

Mar 3, 2013
    My main concern with the performance legato patches is the on/off characteristic of the vibrato control which makes it difficult to use as a default “one that rules all” articulation. Has anybody found a solution other than using other articulations for this or do I miss something?

7. OP
    OP
    erikradbo

erikradbo Active Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Thanks, got the performance/legato thing. And to confirm, there is no vibrato control for the decorative legato patch (con sordino etc)?