What's new

Scoring Synths

Yep, I really hope they don't make the mistake of pricing it like a 75GB, 17RR, 8-microphone orchestral library. While the concept is solid and the patches sound really good, this library is nonessential. The concept is pretty unique, the sound is much less so.
What is the most you guys are willing to pay for it?

I'd be interested in slimmed down version. My hard drive can't take 75GB, esp. for a single lib.
I hear you.
I still don't know what to expect. The teaser track is absolutely spot on, but I can't get my head around the fact it seems like it'll be 100 or so presets without proper editing functionality, which is cool for an orchestral library, but a synth? I think it may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Im not so sure a saw bass needs 8 round robins.

I'll probably buy it anyhow. :)
Lol. Me too.

dyslexic moment.

I bet I can find 75G of junk I don't need fairly quick.

Check your calendar.

Yes no doubt space is insanely cheap, but it's not terribly convenient to keep upgrading and plugging in new drives. I have 4TB of SDD just on my main PC and only 1TB left free. At 75GB per library that is going to go pretty fast...

It's 2018 lol (tx Chill, dyslexic moment), 4TB SATA drive is about $100usd

For mac users who have to use external ssds, that'd cost around £1500, in the UK at least. Hard drive space is a real issue.

For mac users who have to use external ssds, that'd cost around £1500, in the UK at least. Hard drive space is a real issue.

I was a little shocked by your post and happy to be a Win user, but I had to check your information and found this https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac/best-ssd-for-mac-2018-3600870/

I'm going to ignore the hard-drive-space-discussions in the future as most external harddrives are cheaper than most single plugins which needs such space.

back to topic:

The concept sounds very interesting and I`m curious about the final thing. Never heard of a synth with several mic positions and round robins.

Edit: Ok, let me correct myself: in my understanding it is not a synth but a sampled synth

This is interesting. The sound itself is outstanding and I get the concept. There's going to a bit of cognitive dissonance for a lot of people about paying for a limited number of 'synth' sounds when they have infinite sounds available for any number of soft-sysnths, but this is one of those potentiality/reality situations where in reality a limited number of outstanding 'in-context' sounds may be the smartest possible move. How many of us even use a minute fraction of the potential of our soft-synths?

100+ patches - 120.000 samples.
For that amount of samples I think I'd want 1000+ patches.

I'm curious about this plugin but I just don't see the point of deep sampling a synth, when that's the one thing computers actually excel at. Unless it's a sound design monster like Omnisphere. But at 100+ patches (which presumably means less than 200), I just don't see it happening. Demos didn't convince me either.

I just don't see the point of deep sampling a synth

This product aims at capturing that extra sonic oomph you get from using real analog synths and real spaces for reverb. Soft synths are great but comparing them to real analog is silly. They are still worlds apart, to my ears anyway.

I already own a moog and several other analog synths but if the presets are well crafted, offer something unique, and the sound is already 100% there, then I'd love to use this too. My only wish is for more different oscillators :)

This product aims at capturing that extra sonic oomph you get from using real analog synths and real spaces for reverb. Soft synths are great but comparing them to real analog is silly. They are still worlds apart, to my ears anyway.

I already own a moog and several other analog synths but if the presets are well crafted, offer something unique, and the sound is already 100% there, then I'd love to use this too. My only wish is for more different oscillators :)
Plugins like Repro-5 has got a lot of praise lately for it's authenticity. And sampling notes on an analog synth is not the same as recording an analog synth performance anyway, so one could argue either way which one is more authentic.

And again, I think 'real spaces' provides such a small difference that it's lost in a mix anyway. I'll gladly be proven wrong, but as I said, the demos came across as a bit meh to me.
I'm glad Audio Ollie are offering something different, but as someone mentioned earlier, it seems to tackle a problem that doesn't exist.

@Audio Ollie do you have any plans of posting a walkthrough video of, say, the music that was in the Scoring Synths teaser? I think it would give us a good look at the advantages of using this library over others :)

I really like the concept, and the demo seems to be promising. This could be a great tool in combination with the orchestra.

But I don‘t need more then 5rr and 2-3 mic positions (Close/Room).
75gb is way to much for this library! A light version with only one mic is also no option for me! Please be smart with this release because right now it seems to miss the target group.
Just my humble opinion

I really like the concept, and the demo seems to be promising. This could be a great tool in combination with the orchestra.

But I don‘t need more then 5rr and 2-3 mic positions (Close/Room).
75gb is way to much for this library! A light version with only one mic is also no option for me! Please be smart with this release because right now it seems to miss the target group.
Just my humble opinion

I hear where you're coming from. Over the past few days I've been looking into releasing a trimmed down version with fewer mics which is doable but there are a few things I should mention.

Depending on the sound, different sets of mics yield better results. Sometimes the midroom mics add what I need, other times it's the rear surrounds, often time it's a combo. Do you want both DI and Close mics? Hard panning these left and right result in super wide sound that I use all the time. Point being, it's not an obvious decision which mics to keep and which to get rid of, and I feel that cutting half of them out will result in a slightly compromised product.

I put up a TON of mics at the session because I didn't really know what to expect. I haven't done a project like this before and I wanted to make sure I had a lot of options to choose from. Having Nick set up more microphones didn't make the project more expensive so it seemed like an obvious decisions to make. This brings me to the next point.

If I do make a lighter version, it's not going to differ much in price if at all. Adding all of the microphones was not some business strategy to jack the price up. I made the decision to record/edit/name all of the mic samples myself and for my own personal usage. At that point I figured I might as well offer the full package commercially too because I know that there are many people who do appreciate that sort of thing.

All of that being said, I do understand your concerns, and if the size is really a serious issue for a lot of people I will address this. Let me ask you all a few questions:

Which mics would you want to include in a light version?

How big would you like this library to be?

If there was a negligible price difference between light and full, would you still buy the light version?

I'll be posting a walkthrough video next week which will go over all of the mics and how to use them in both a traditional and experimental context. This might shed some light on things.

Thanks for you comments!

Ollie

@Audio Ollie do you have any plans of posting a walkthrough video of, say, the music that was in the Scoring Synths teaser? I think it would give us a good look at the advantages of using this library over others :)

Yeah that should be doable :) It probably won't make it into the walkthrough, but if time permits I'll make a dedicated video for it.

Top Bottom