What's new

Scoring Synths

Love the Atticus Ross / M83 / Joseph Trapanese style teaser track, and I love the concept of hall recorded synths ala tron legacy. In saying that, I'm confused as to what to expect from it, and how it will differ from a soft synth using a convolution verb.

Love the Atticus Ross / M83 / Joseph Trapanese style teaser track, and I love the concept of hall recorded synths ala tron legacy. In saying that, I'm confused as to what to expect from it, and how it will differ from a soft synth using a convolution verb.

Thanks! I'll be posting a series of tech demos as well as a full spec list on Monday which should give you a better idea of what Scoring Synths has to offer. It will be easier for me to explain how the library differs from current soft synths with the audio examples as a reference.

Best,

Ollie

SPECS
• 120,000 Samples - 75 GB Installed
• Kontakt 5 Full Required
• 100 + Unique Patches
• Up to 17 Round Robbin and 7 True Filter Layers
• 48khz WAV, Stereo
• 8 Mic Positions

GUI
• Minimal Design
• Mic Mixer - Pan, Phase, and High Pass Controls
• Mono Mode - Note Priority, Glide and Legato
• ADSR - Level and Low Pass Filter
• Fine Tune - Midi Transpose - Velocity (Dynamics) - Spread
• Arpeggiator
• Polystep

Audio Ollie Sketchbook

Sketches, Doodles & Experiments. No external FX processing unless stated otherwise. 100% Scoring Synths.

TECH DEMOS

Raw examples of a few individual patches. Please follow the comment guides for specific info.

Thank you all for your patience. Let me know if you have any questions. Walk through videos and music demos soon to follow!

Cheers,

Ollie

"75 GB"

I am intrigued but.... oof. All of omnisphere with 50+ third-party libraries is less than that. And no mention of the price yet has me a bit worried.

Yep, I really hope they don't make the mistake of pricing it like a 75GB, 17RR, 8-microphone orchestral library. While the concept is solid and the patches sound really good, this library is nonessential. The concept is pretty unique, the sound is much less so.

I still don't know what to expect. The teaser track is absolutely spot on, but I can't get my head around the fact it seems like it'll be 100 or so presets without proper editing functionality, which is cool for an orchestral library, but a synth? I think it may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Im not so sure a saw bass needs 8 round robins.

I'll probably buy it anyhow. :)

I like the sound. I think 17 round robins is a bit ridiculous for a synth and am also confused by 8 mic positions on a synth as that is something generally handled by effects processing unless I'm missing something and this is more than just synth samples. It really drives up the need for storage space.

Price will be a big factor in this.

let's wait for the walkthrough. but to me, the main question will be, what makes this synth so different than the others out there, and to the other Kontakt libraries, to justify a purchase (even at a reasonable price). It does indeed sounds nice, but not sure what a sample of a synth recorded with a room mic (maybe I'm wrong here?) will have to differentiate itself from a sound from a regular synth on which you apply IR reverb. As other mentionned too, why the huge amount of RR for a synth? I'm guessing there's a valid reason for this, but from the description and sound samples, I just can't figure out. And at 75 gb....must be a lib you really need to own to justify such amount of space, at least in my case. Wait and see I guess.

let's wait for the walkthrough. but to me, the main question will be, what makes this synth so different than the others out there, and to the other Kontakt libraries, to justify a purchase (even at a reasonable price). It does indeed sounds nice, but not sure what a sample of a synth recorded with a room mic (maybe I'm wrong here?) will have to differentiate itself from a sound from a regular synth on which you apply IR reverb. As other mentionned too, why the huge amount of RR for a synth? I'm guessing there's a valid reason for this, but from the description and sound samples, I just can't figure out. And at 75 gb....must be a lib you really need to own to justify such amount of space, at least in my case. Wait and see I guess.

There are only a few select patches that have 17rr. Some of the synth and bass pluck patches sounded much better with the higher RR count. The majority of the sounds average around 5rr, some have none. The large size is definitely the result of having 8 mic positions which is something I personally find useful, but I understand the concern. I'm open to releasing a lighter version with a mixed room mic or two.

The advantage of having the real room recordings becomes much more apparent when working on a full mix/production, especially with orchestral material. I'll get into this more coming up.

Thanks!

Love the idea, the sound, the RR numbers (which I agree are VERY important for a sampled synth)...., but yeah..., count me as someone interested in a lighter version with say, 3 mic positions. Close, Tree, Mixed.

I for one, want that flexibility you speak of, Ollie. My demos have come a long way in their realism thanks to mic positions and round robins being available in libraries. You can always print an audio bounce if its too demanding of your system. But I'd rather be the one sculpting the sound, than have someone determine it for me.

Top Bottom