What's new

Scorerelief 2021 competition

I've listened through the five winners contributions, and I really, really liked the 5th placed one by Kennoniah Dean Bellile ()

Being all very subjective, I found it to stand out from the other four with timing, voicing and something that drew my attention and kept it there throughout (mind you, I've surely been through this clip some hundred times by now). However, I suppose such music is just as much about taking the backseat and blend in as getting noticed. As someone green to all of this, using music sparingly and not being front and center but for when it's really called for, must surely be a difficult skill to master.

I hope this didn't come across as not being very impressed by all the winners, they are all wonderful and worthy winners, and I'd wish I had the ability to make as good soundtracks as they've done here.

Here's hoping for more competitions like these, especially when you can also donate and help raise awareness for such a good cause.

The first place sounded gorgeous played by the orchestra.

tbh, I had a slight anxiety attack when I saw my name pop up 😂 Never thought that'd happen.
Oh god it was so beautiful right? Amazing stuff.

I really enjoyed yours as well, I had to go check out all of the winners to see where I measured up! :roflmao:

I don't know if I'm the only one who are looking for melodic lines in all these compositions? I know it's a film score and maybe it's my age, but isn't there are a lot of orchestration and not so much "music".
There seems to be a general trend away from Melody in a number of genres from what I've gathered. I admire much of what I hear, but strong thematic elements are looking to be more the exception than the rule... As though the idea is going out of fashion. I must admit tho that I've not made the most exhaustive survey. I've simply noticed this in what I have been hearing the last several years

I don't know if I'm the only one who are looking for melodic lines in all these compositions? I know it's a film score and maybe it's my age, but isn't there are a lot of orchestration and not so much "music".
I submitted 2 entries and actually wrote my melodies first, so they are both melodic driven,
but did hear some amazing melodic interpretations from the wood knocking sound.

With the sonic and textural capabilities of sample libraries these days, it makes sense that there is a trend towards alternative, maybe less melodic approaches.

What i did enjoy in this competition, was discovering some really skilful, young composers and some
incredibly moving scores.
The Cue Tube did so well with the whole thing and congrats to the winners!

and going through so many entries....I've had my fair share of hearing tons of flutes ;)

I submitted 2 entries and actually wrote my melodies first, so they are both melodic driven,
but did hear some amazing melodic interpretations from the wood knocking sound.

With the sonic and textural capabilities of sample libraries these days, it makes sense that there is a trend towards alternative, maybe less melodic approaches.

What i did enjoy in this competition, was discovering some really skilful, young composers and some
incredibly moving scores.
The Cue Tube did so well with the whole thing and congrats to the winners!

and going through so many entries....I've had my fair share of hearing tons of flutes ;)
I did the same...A melody line over my acoustic guitar. I ditched the guitar for the recording and Flute ended up as one of my lead instruments on this one haha. It just felt like the right tone for the main theme. I won't talk about how my lack of great Legato stuff in my current VI's may have contributed to that decision : )

I'm sure quite a few of you got the email with a link to Jack Hughes blog about Scorerelief 2021, but if not I have posted it below.

Congratulations to the winners!! :dancedance: It's been such a great competition! :)

Just a quick question: Do you guys know if we are allowed to use the video in our Portfolio?

Thank you!

Apparently there were some free sample instruments offered to all entrants... I don't have any emails about it... did anyone else receive anything?

I got an email but never bothered with downloading. Checked it sometime later but the link was broken. Sorry, don't have the email anymore. Must have been deleted. They didn't look to amount to that much that I can recall so I didn't really bother with them. Some kind of perc stuff

I got an email but never bothered with downloading. Checked it sometime later but the link was broken. Sorry, don't have the email anymore. Must have been deleted. They didn't look to amount to that much that I can recall so I didn't really bother with them. Some kind of perc stuff
Ah well, never mind. If they were Kontact Full instruments I wouldn't have been able to use them anyway. I will try not to be offended about being
left off the mailing list, I'm sure it wasn't personal :)

Just found the email. Shamanic Drums and Glass Bottle percussion. Prob should have downloaded. For all I know they might have been useful.

Same thing happened to me as well ...

Does anyone still have the original (unscored) video ? I was working on my on version, changed computers, and don't have that video file any more.

On Dropbox or by WeSendIt ?
Thanks

Top Bottom