What's new

Scorerelief 2021 competition

Hi, I don't see my video on the youtube playlist ? Do they still putting ? Should I email them?
YouTube shows a limited list of entries (rough guess is around 500, far from the total entries).

I was just wishing the CueTube guys update their Excel before 8th so that everyone can check that their entry is here (and get rid of duplicates too).
But I guess that their brain is overwhelmed by watching so many entries.

YouTube shows a limited list of entries (rough guess is around 500, far from the total entries).

I was just wishing the CueTube guys update their Excel before 8th so that everyone can check that their entry is here (and get rid of duplicates too).
But I guess that their brain is overwhelmed by watching so many entries.
Bryan said he didn't have time to answer the emails, but he said everyone who followed the instructions on the top of the list is in.
Updating the Excel would have been the cool thing to do here (they need an updated list anyways, so why not update that?). Maybe they learn from this for the next one :thumbsup:

Here is my entry. I wrote it with the 27-piece orchestra in mind using Infinite Woodwinds+Brass and Spitfire Chamber Strings (replaced by CSS for a few legato passages).

This one is really my favorite and I love how the scales are integrated.

Unfortunately, I somehow missed this whole competition, but I listened to most entries and there are lots of lovely scores. Good job, everybody. I always think Animation lends itself the best to varied and fun writing.
Even without the competition (let's face it, I wouldn't have won anyways) I thought about scoring this clip, but I might have tainted my blank page with all the input from the entries.

Reactions: Dan
This one is really my favorite and I love how the scales are integrated.

Unfortunately, I somehow missed this whole competition, but I listened to most entries and there are lots of lovely scores. Good job, everybody. I always think Animation lends itself the best to varied and fun writing.
Even without the competition (let's face it, I wouldn't have won anyways) I thought about scoring this clip, but I might have tainted my blank page with all the input from the entries.
Thank you for your kind feedback!

The idea of having the woodwinds play those scales in the background to accompany a slower string/brass melody was actually inspired by Einojuhani Rautavaaras "Cantus Arcticus", an absolutely amazing concerto for orchestra and birds (on tape).
Most of the time he achieves this effect by just having a flock of arctic birds sing along while the orchestra plays the dreamiest of music. But in the third movement the woodwinds really get in there. More complex scales than my simple half-tone-scales, but I liked the contrast of perceived "chaos" vs. harmony very much and tried to apply it here to introduce some mystical element and sense of something going on beneath the surface.

Hi everyone,
this is my entry, I would like to receive some criticism on it, please. If it's not difficult for you:)

I am just starting to write music for films. This is only my 4th project
Thank you and have a good day

Hi everyone,
this is my entry, I would like to receive some criticism on it, please. If it's not difficult for you:)

I am just starting to write music for films. This is only my 4th project
Thank you and have a good day
Hey,

first of all, welcome to VI-Control!

Second, as a disclaimer: I am not an expert with respect to basically anything, so don't take my words (especially in the following) too seriously ...
I just listened to your entry (but only on my mobile phone, so I cannot really say a lot about the mixing etc.) and I quite enjoyed the composition in general. I liked that you basically sticked to a simple theme and played around it.

There were a few things that I noticed that could need some improvement (in my opinion): Sometimes it seems that your instruments are not playing together/in time. This seems especially noticeable in the faster passages. I obviously don't know what exactly you used for your mockup and how you made it, but the usual things to do are negative pre-delays/track delays for the individual tracks and sometimes you will have to manually nudge MIDI notes.
There was also something about your choice of percussion, but I cannot say exactly what (I've played percussion in orchestras for quite some time, so it just felt a bit off/unusual to me) - maybe the percussive effects where just a bit too much in total for my feeling.

Also, which virtual instruments are you using? In case you have bought some libraries, you really need to massage MIDI CCs a lot to make it sound realisitic (at least most of them - there are exceptions of course). If you are using stock instruments/plugins etc. you probably don't have the possibilities to do this. There are some other tricks you could do to make stock instruments sound more realisitic (e.g. playing around with volume and EQ modulation) but I wouldn't obsess too much in that case (Those sounds are many times simply not of the same quality as other stuff and if you put too much energy in it, you might lose your motivation all together).

In any case, it seems to me that you are really enjoying to compose and create music, so go on and continue to do it!

PS: nice webpage!

Hey,

first of all, welcome to VI-Control!

Second, as a disclaimer: I am not an expert with respect to basically anything, so don't take my words (especially in the following) too seriously ...
I just listened to your entry (but only on my mobile phone, so I cannot really say a lot about the mixing etc.) and I quite enjoyed the composition in general. I liked that you basically sticked to a simple theme and played around it.

There were a few things that I noticed that could need some improvement (in my opinion): Sometimes it seems that your instruments are not playing together/in time. This seems especially noticeable in the faster passages. I obviously don't know what exactly you used for your mockup and how you made it, but the usual things to do are negative pre-delays/track delays for the individual tracks and sometimes you will have to manually nudge MIDI notes.
There was also something about your choice of percussion, but I cannot say exactly what (I've played percussion in orchestras for quite some time, so it just felt a bit off/unusual to me) - maybe the percussive effects where just a bit too much in total for my feeling.

Also, which virtual instruments are you using? In case you have bought some libraries, you really need to massage MIDI CCs a lot to make it sound realisitic (at least most of them - there are exceptions of course). If you are using stock instruments/plugins etc. you probably don't have the possibilities to do this. There are some other tricks you could do to make stock instruments sound more realisitic (e.g. playing around with volume and EQ modulation) but I wouldn't obsess too much in that case (Those sounds are many times simply not of the same quality as other stuff and if you put too much energy in it, you might lose your motivation all together).

In any case, it seems to me that you are really enjoying to compose and create music, so go on and continue to do it!

PS: nice webpage!

Thank you very much for the detailed comment!
I really appreciated it.
First of all, I want to say that I had not a lot of time, cause I found this competition quite late.
I worked on it during less than 3 weeks in the evenings after my main work full time.
Usually, before finishing work, I check the sound on a variety of acoustics, including the phones. This time there was simply no time - therefore the out-of-sync of the instruments. Ears got tired and not heard those problems on monitors. Just after I put it on YouTube and heard from my cell I heard it...
I usually try not to use quantization when recording parts. I only fix the most obvious problems. In my opinion, like this mock-orchestra sounds more natural. But I absolutely agree with you that such an out of sync as I did in the Spring is unacceptable. And yes, I massage a lot my CCs 😁
I bought a subscription to East West. A quite complicated library to work with, but I don't see any reason to invest in a more expensive one yet. For now it's just a hobby
Thank you for webpage - I did it by myself
Vielen Dank! :)

Is there any way to download the source material (movie with sound fx) as study material for scoring? The form to request the cue on the website seems to be taken away? Many thanks in advance!

Top Bottom