What's new

Scorerelief 2021 competition

Speaking of, do any of you guys who also participated in the Westworld scoring contest feel like this animation was loads more inspiring to write for?
I for sure found it more inspiring and a better scene overall than the scene from Westworld, which in itself I didn't find really great. But because the scene here has so much more character, I also found it a bit harder (and also confining) to find something that fits to the picture (e.g., the semi-climax - I for sure struggled with that one). The scene in Westworld was kind of generic and I saw many submissions with quite different styles that all fit the scene very well (at least in my opinion). With this scene here I found more similarities between different entries, so far.

I also have to say that I spent way more time on this one compared to Westworld. But for sure this has also something to do with the fact that I have way more libraries now and also that I now tend to think and analyze more than before (which is probably not always beneficial).

BTW, I am not claiming that I succeeded to find something fitting in any of the two contests - I am just writing about my impression/feelings.

Speaking of, do any of you guys who also participated in the Westworld scoring contest feel like this animation was loads more inspiring to write for?
Absolutely, it's a beautifully done film and a pleasure to write to those visuals. Hopefully the reception to the winning entry is more positive and civil! There are some fantastic entries posted on this thread. :)

Here is my submission:

I had a wonderful time composing for this beautiful film. I started in my Nuendo template, but found that I needed a score to help me, especially because I wanted to create a score for the Northern Film Orchestra. I switched to Dorico - parttime music copyist until Corona (!) - and the scoring tools in Dorico are just fabulous. Here is my submission:

I for sure found it more inspiring and a better scene overall than the scene from Westworld, which in itself I didn't find really great. But because the scene here has so much more character, I also found it a bit harder (and also confining) to find something that fits to the picture (e.g., the semi-climax - I for sure struggled with that one). The scene in Westworld was kind of generic and I saw many submissions with quite different styles that all fit the scene very well (at least in my opinion). With this scene here I found more similarities between different entries, so far.

I also have to say that I spent way more time on this one compared to Westworld. But for sure this has also something to do with the fact that I have way more libraries now and also that I now tend to think and analyze more than before (which is probably not always beneficial).

BTW, I am not claiming that I succeeded to find something fitting in any of the two contests - I am just writing about my impression/feelings.
We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed this clip more than Westworld! Theres been a lot of negative outcomes from recent scoring competitions so Its nice to hear that people are having a positive experience with Score Relief :)

My entry is not on the list, even though I uploaded it on time. I emailed them Monday and again today, no response so far.

My entry is not on the list, even though I uploaded it on time. I emailed them Monday and again today, no response so far.
Sitting in the same boat at the moment. I don't mind if I don't win, but I'd at least like to be a part of the pool of contestants

I have chased this up with the cue tube and they said that at the top of the list there are instructions for what to do if you are not on the list. The problem will either be that you haven't assigned your video category on youtube to #scorerelief2021 or that you missed the deadline because of the server issues. If the latter is the case and your video was definitely uploaded on youtube before the deadline, you can email [email protected] and they will accept you.

I have chased this up with the cue tube and they said that at the top of the list there are instructions for what to do if you are not on the list. The problem will either be that you haven't assigned your video category on youtube to #scorerelief2021 or that you missed the deadline because of the server issues. If the latter is the case and your video was definitely uploaded on youtube before the deadline, you can email [email protected] and they will accept you.
I have seen the instructions. The category was missing with my entry, even though I was sure I had turned it on.

Problem is, they won't email me back or update the list. How can I know if my entry is accepted now?

Thomas Brunet has done a breakdown of his entry which is interesting and educational to watch.

Wow, thanks for posting my video on here, Markrs, I just saw it!

I have seen the instructions. The category was missing with my entry, even though I was sure I had turned it on.

Problem is, they won't email me back or update the list. How can I know if my entry is accepted now?
They are very busy now with setting things right, they had hundreds of requests. Bryan posted a message saying he's sorry to not be able to respond to every mail but I'm sure they're working on every single entry. Maybe check the list regularly? Hope the matter resolves quickly.

They are very busy now with setting things right, they had hundreds of requests. Bryan posted a message saying he's sorry to not be able to respond to every mail but I'm sure they're working on every single entry. Maybe check the list regularly? Hope the matter resolves quickly.
Thank you, I did not see the message. I feel however, that just sending a short standard reply to every inquiry would not only be fair and inspire more confidence, it would also save them time - I am sure they get bombarded with follow up emails.

They're very active on many social networks and they probably answered a lot of emails. They may have assumed the message would be spread widely. I know how frustrating it must be, but remember they're doing this for free on their spare time ;) Having had a short exchange with Bryan and seeing how he does things, I've no problem trusting The Cue Tube. Fingers crossed for you and all the people still waiting!

OK it was pretty creatively challenging. I missed deadline for this scoring competition because I decided to participate quite late and for the reason I was not satisfied with my result at the time of submitting. Current result is a sketch which I quite like. I was inspired mainly by James Newton (Fantastic beasts) and Hans Zimmer (Pirates of the Caribbean) and result is not Dark Knight :) (Which they both scored together)

Originally I planned to replace Albion ONE strings with Performance Samples Con Molto and do proper production, but I need to move to another project.

It was outside of my comfort zone, since I do not watch a lot of animation movies, but I learned A LOT. Enjoy!
PS: My favorite part is End Credits, wait for it!

Used libraries: EWQL Symphonic Choir, Ra, Hollywood woodwinds, Hollywood Percussion, Stormdrum 3, Orchestral Tools Babel, Spitfire Albion ONE, Spitfire LABS Dulcimer, SAM Free Orchestra, Performance Samples Caspian

Thomas Brunet has done a breakdown of his entry which is interesting and educational to watch.

This was a very nice and brief breakdown to watch. My initial beat to the 6/8 was to go with dubstep, it lent itself fairly well to the stomps, but I got some hints from a friend that it broke with the rest of the music.

Would be nice with more such videoes, it's always nice to see people's intepretations of workflow and creative deliberations.

Wow, thanks for posting my video on here, Markrs, I just saw it!

Same boat here.
Wrong category, wrote email with no answer, managed to fix the category once the site was up again, and wondering if my entry is registered.
We’ll see...

Top Bottom