What's new

Scorerelief 2021 competition

I had a free evening and decided to give it a try :)

Orchestra with amount of people given.
Libs random Spitfire BDT + Intimate Strings + CimematicSoft + RandomSomethingElse + Some OT +ARKHIS
Scores draft in the video description (if anyone interested).

Sounds great and it is lovely having the score with it. Very kind of you to share it :)

Okay, so I finally managed to upload my attempt. It's been a month in the making, with some minutes and hours here and there. My initial goal was to try to incorporate as many of the libraries I've bought lately as I could. This is my first attempt at making any music the last decade, and my first at anything orchestral, so bear with me.

(Apologies in advance for the "Modern Talking version of My heart will go on" in there! :ninja:)

VSTs:

CSW
CSS/CSSS
CSB
EW Percussion
EW Spaces II
BT Phobos
Fabfilter
Celtic ERA
Genesis Children's Choir
Pianoteq 7
Diva
Spire
Pigments

I got through, but after clicking "submit" it froze - now, they do warn that "THE SUBMIT FUNCTION TAKES A FEW SECONDS, PLEASE BE PATIENT!", but it's now been around 20 minutes. I suppose I can wait two more hours if 8 PM GMT was the deadline :)
I also waited 10 minutes. But my video has been posted, I checked on my profile. Once we click, the video is sent. It is true that it is very very slow but it works :)

I also waited 10 minutes. But my video has been posted, I checked on my profile. Once we click, the video is sent. It is true that it is very very slow but it works :)
I have the same problem, I am trying now for more than 3 hours :/ Still nothing appears on my profile, no shared videos :S

Edit: it managed to post 4 mins ago :)

Last edited:
I decided not to illustrate each movement in the movie directly (as it comes from American film-production "school"), but make a full piece of music with correlated accents and telling an ongoing story. Some parts are working as counterpoints. And being a film-director myself I also used an art-house trick - predicting the resolution of a scene by changing the state in the music.
The score is written, but probably it will be needed to change woodwinds with something else and Rhodes piano with a normal grand piano...
90% of instruments are recorded live.

Last edited:
Sounds great and it is lovely having the score with it. Very kind of you to share it :)
Thank you <3

Score is a draft, few accents there out of place I moved it a bit. But it helps for me to see what is where. Normally I would spend more time writing down some comments. It was also unnecessary to have 1th solo strings from every section. I wanted to, but there was enough voicing, and the scores are rather simple. I like the middle part a lot, sadly it was very hard to animate it with my libraries. Shame to admit I still don't have brass libraries at all, so had to be creative with something that sounds close :D

I decided not to illustrate each movement in the movie directly (as it comes from American film-production "school"), but make a full piece of music with correlated accents and telling an ongoing story. Some parts are working as counterpoints. And being a film-director myself I also an art-house trick - predicting the resolution of a scene by changing the state in the music.
The score is written, but probably it will be needed to change woodwinds with something else and Rhodes piano with a normal grand piano...
90% of instruments are recorded live.

oO violins recorded life? If not I must have what you have right now. Violins sound heavenly!

My last-minute submission. Very nice competition. Thanks to Markrs for pointing this out.

[EDIT] After submission to #scorerelief2021 at the last minute, I noticed something had gone awfully wrong with the synchronization (the brass blasts) so I corrected it and in the process also re-balanced the volume of some instruments. (bass clarinet, oboe and french horn)

Unfortunately this corrected version was to late for re-entry. But it doesn't matter. Good learning experience. And fun to do :)

Right version:

[/EDIT]

Last edited:
This is really effective. very impressed with what you achieved without using an orchestra.
thanku mark. i didn't spend a lot of time on my 2nd entry (literally yesterday and today)
but it was enough time to create a mockup of what i was hearing in my head, as well as
try something different to my 1st submission.

also appreciations to you for highlighting this competition for a cause in the forum.
it was a great opportunity to work to such a beautiful animation and story.
well done cuetube for creating a successful competition with such a great calibre of entries.
good luck everyone!

I missed the deadline but enjoyed the challenge. Lots of great composers here so good luck to everyone. I look forward to the next one.

Here's mine! If anyone has any constructive criticism/thoughts, either mixing/mastering/orchestration/etc., please let me know– I always want to be learning!

Here's mine! If anyone has any constructive criticism/thoughts, either mixing/mastering/orchestration/etc., please let me know– I always want to be learning!

Very good! Great ideas! I think the sfx track is too quiet, especially in the chase scene, where I can't really hear the sounds of the trees. The music has to support the sfx, not overpower it. I like how you tried different in the chase scene, but I think it misses the climax hitpoints of the picture. I understand that today people try to avoid hitting those big moments of the picture, but I think the music should reflect it at least in some way. The ending is wonderful when nature wakes up. We had a similar idea in that part :).

Top Bottom