What's new

Scorerelief 2021 competition

Here is my entry, it was a challenge for sure.

Libraries used:
Aaron Venture: Infinite Brass
Clark Aboud: Cling Film Frame Drums
Pianobook: Winter Voices
Sonokinetic: Ostinato Strings
Spitfire Audio: Albion NEO, BBC Symphony Orchestra Core, Bernard Herrmann Composer Toolkit, Originals Cinematic Percussion, Ricotti Mallets, Spitfire Harp, Spitfire Percussion, Studio Orchestra Professional
And a self-sampled knife hitting a plate :-D I wanted to have at least something that's unique/individual ...

EDIT: Just noticed, that there are two additional drum hits around 2:20 which I didn't put there. Seems to be some bug during export and for some reason I didn't notice it. Fortunately they happen to be more or less in time, but they make it a bit more "groovy" than I wanted it to be. Well ...

EDIT 2: Upon further investigation I realized that these are actually not drum hits but sound FX from the original clip. Weird that I never noticed this before ...

Last edited:
Hello everybody!

I just finished my entry. I decided to stick to the rules and tried to make the best out of it. Sometimes the small orchestra size was a little tricky but I could manage it. I wish everyone good luck!

My orchestra: 1st Violins: 4; 2nd Violins: 3; Violas: 3; Celli: 3; Double Bass: 1; Piano: 1; Percussion: 1 percussionist at a time; Harp: 1; Flute: 1; Horns: 1; Trumpet; (Tenor) Trombone: 1

Sample libraries: Spitfire Chamber Strings; Spitfire Solo Strings; Spitfire Symphonic Brass; Spitfire Harp; Spitfire Percussion; Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds and finally Native Instruments Noire

Regards,
Christoph

This has been a wonderful kickstart. This has stretched my VI's, my older computer, (I have frozen and unfrozen more VI's than I ever thought possible), and most of all, me. I'm a beginner in orchestral film scoring, so this has been quite a challenge. I had so many ideas as I sketched this out, but threw most of them away and kept circling back to the main theme as the action allowed. This animation has real heart and has been inspiring and fun to work on. So many ideas that could have been followed....I hate and love deadlines!

This is a pretty cool competition. The entries on this thread are amazing, been learning a lot from it.

I could probably make a few more changes but this will have to do for now.

Good luck everyone!

Hi all! So many amazing scores here! What an inspiring thread. I'm having issues with the sfx track volume levels. In some places it's really loud like the woody hits in the beginning. And the forest scene has a lot of lows and mids. I wonder if we are allowed to mix the sfx track? Have you done anything to it?

Hi all! So many amazing scores here! What an inspiring thread. I'm having issues with the sfx track volume levels. In some places it's really loud like the woody hits in the beginning. And the forest scene has a lot of lows and mids. I wonder if we are allowed to mix the sfx track? Have you done anything to it?
I considered early on what I should do about the sound design elements and in the end I left the track untouched at 0dB and tried to work my soundtrack around the major elements. I didn't do any ducking either of the soundtrack.

And here comes my entry!

This was a pleasure and a challenge at the same time since there is so much going on in these 3 minutes. Until now I stayed away from listening to other entries and I am very excited to be able to liste to all the other versions.

I hope some of you may enjoy mine! :)

I would be happy to receive some comments or feedback.

My modest entry:

Scored for the 27 instrument complement of the orchestra. Writing without dropping arbitrary instruments in isn't something I do often :) but I actually found the restriction fun and inspiring.

Some impressive entries here, hope you all enjoy mine - thanks!

I ducked where needed. If it's disqualified for that, so be it. I just wanted it to sound good!

I ducked where needed. If it's disqualified for that, so be it. I just wanted it to sound good!
I wrote to Cuetube and they said taking the whole sfx track fader down is okay, but not individual parts. But I doubt they will notice small volume adjustments.

I considered early on what I should do about the sound design elements and in the end I left the track untouched at 0dB and tried to work my soundtrack around the major elements. I didn't do any ducking either of the soundtrack.
Same here, I left it untouched and wrote around it.
I ducked the music track, not the sfx track, and by only a few db (2b max iirc).

Hi! I'm new here. I've tried to my best to complete this score after my working hours and I've rushed a little to meet the deadline. This was very exciting and I'm happy to being a part of this competition. So, here is my entry. I hope you enjoy. Thanks!

Top Bottom