What's new

Scorerelief 2021 competition

I've only just come across this via Instagram.
I'd like to have a go please.
Can you send me the links and video etc?

Thanks

I've only just come across this via Instagram.
I'd like to have a go please.
Can you send me the links and video etc?

Thanks
Hi,

If you got to:
(broken link removed)

The scroll down the page a bit You will see an area where you can enter your email address and submit. The Cube Tube will then send you the animated video to your email address.

5E134AAC-8875-49E4-9A09-23339CE43AE3.png

Wow, that is impressive...

What software did you use to produce the notation and how did you make the notation present and scroll like that in the video?
Thanks, much appreciated! It's a little complicated, but basically you make a very long one page score in your notation program (I use Dorico but any notation program will work), export the PDF and import it into Illustrator which allows you to separate out the components. Then I put it all together in After Effects and animate it.

Hello fellow musos! New to this forum, so be gentle... I thoroughly enjoyed this project, and especially having a specific number of instruments to use as well as a number of pitched elements to work with in the sound design. The libraries uses are Spitfire Audio BBCSO for the wind, brass and percussion, their Chamber Strings and Native Instruments Noire piano. Thank you to The Cue Tube team for the terrific opportunity. Hope you enjoy it!

Well, I had hoped to at least give this a good try, but computer problems delayed it. Then when I watched it on Sunday, I realized my orchestral writing chops are good enough for action/chase scenes, but this is a little more than I can do yet. I can see what it needs, but I'm not sure I can do it. :sad:

These are all really well done. I'll have to go back and listen to all of these. The ones I've listened to are really great. :)

Finally...

I think I can’t do better.. Here is my first proper try at orchestral scoring:

In the end I scrapped writing for a specific orchestra setup with BBC as I hit a block while composing with sections, and just winged it with Albion One... I am quite happy how it turned out..

Cheers!

Found out about this competition last week, and it was so tempting to listen to everyone's work! lol. But I resisted until I finished my attempt last night. Gotta say, there are some amazing submissions! Truly great job to everyone who gave this a go. So without further ado, here was my attempt!

Here is my entry. I wrote it with the 27-piece orchestra in mind using Infinite Woodwinds+Brass and Spitfire Chamber Strings (replaced by CSS for a few legato passages).

Best of luck to everyone! I already heard some very strong entries and can't wait to hear more! It really is an amazing learning opportunity to see one little clip scored by so many people.

Here's my entry. I used CSS, CSW, CSB, Spitfire Percussion, Evolution Series World Percussion, Spitfire Andy Findon Kit Bag, and Glacier Keys. It was nice to score again and brush a bit of the dust off after a 4-year hiatus. Getting towards the finish line! Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Finished mine today -

Went with keeping it purely orchestral with pretty standard orchestral forces/instrumentation (+tin whistle, childrens/adult choir and a few big toms).

I have to say it was very therapeutic to score this gorgeous animation during lockdown.

Here is just the music -

Last edited:
Finished mine today -

Went with keeping it purely orchestral with pretty standard orchestral forces/instrumentation (+tin whistle, childrens/adult choir and a few big toms).

I have to say it was very therapeutic to score this gorgeous animation during lockdown

Well done. Wow.

Great work everyone. The quality of entries is astounding. Here's my humble try!

I like the fact that it's not creatively constrained, despite the competition winner performance limitations (ie. the size of the band). I am mostly in love with fusions of all instruments, so it was a very appealing competition from that point of view. Besides, that's how modern scoring works nowadays.

I will say that I hope we don't have a repeat of the Spitfire debacle - the winner is deserving; try not to jump on any negative band wagons!

Wow, lots of great submissions, some incredibly steep competition here!
Here's my version, and also my first attempt at scoring to picture. Super fun experience and I learned so much about the entire scoring process now over the week that I've spent on it.

Good luck to everyone!

I will say that I hope we don't have a repeat of the Spitfire debacle - the winner is deserving
Sorry to deviate topic, but it’s been months since the SA Westworld competition wrapped up and I can still perfectly hum David Kudell’s 8bit theme while I forgot all other entries - uncluding mine. So much for the undeserving winner.

Entering contests is also accepting to learn things from the winners whatever you think of their entry or style. Contests are not made to validate your own tastes or style or writing (unless if you win to some extent).

But let’s keep that debate for when the jury will pick up a death metal entry :)

Good luck to everyone !

Sorry to deviate topic, but it’s been months since the SA Westworld competition wrapped up and I can still perfectly hum David Kudell’s 8bit theme while I forgot all other entries - uncluding mine. So much for the undeserving winner.

Entering contests is also accepting to learn things from the winners whatever you think of their entry or style. Contests are not made to validate your own tastes or style or writing (unless if you win to some extent).

But let’s keep that debate for when the jury will pick up a death metal entry :)

Good luck to everyone !
Couldn't agree more! :thumbsup:

Good luck to everyone !
I’ve remarked that very line to David Kudell on YouTube, that his main theme is memorable! Damn him! :grin:

Good luck to everyone !
Totally true, while reading this I’m also able to recall and hum David’s winning composition.
I think we always need to check our egos and pride at the door when entering these competitions and just appreciate being film composers for a brief moment in time.

David Kudell’s NI Orchestral Tools Time/Special bows demo and walkthrough was also great for me to come across.
He mentions how he “loves a good melody”, which also resonates with me (and I’m sure many of you here too)

I carried that idea into my Spring score submission (posted my entry link earlier in this thread)
But here it is again

I built it around a central melodic theme (which even starts on its own) and returns later in my score.
There are even subtle melodic elements through my action and breakdown scenes.

Textures, sounds, chords and progressions can definitely carry an emotion, but to me, melody narrates and holds a deeper connection to an emotion and this short film has a lot of heart and feeling to it.

Top Bottom