What's new

Scorerelief 2021 competition

They still said, somewhere, that they WILL take into account the translatability of the score. Even though you can use e.g. synths, they will have a hard time translating that to a chamber orchestra...

So having a cool synthy track might not land you the first prize, if I understood correctly?
I think if you created a rock soundtrack or an entirely synth based one, that would probably effect the decision, but if you add a bass synth in or maybe used 2 percussion layers (they only have one percussionist) or score for a larger orchestra, or created your own samples to use, they would help you arrange it to work within the limitations of the scoring orchestra. This is only my interpretation of it, which could be wrong.

In the end I think they want you to be creative and explore the possiblities of what can be done, to find a unique voice, I think those things will matter more.

Hey guys, this is Jack from Northern Film Orchestra here.

Firstly can I just say how thrilled we all are to see so many of you enjoying the competition and submitting such wonderful entries. The shortlisting process is definitely going to be extremely tough for us with such a strong calibre of music being delivered. You all deserve a pat on the back!

Its looks as if there has been a very lively discussion going on here which is great! Im sure many of you probably have questions so I'm here to clarify anything relating to the orchestra side of this competition and answer any questions for those of you who missed the live Q/A.

I think if you created a rock soundtrack or an entirely synth based one, that would probably effect the decision, but if you add a bass synth in or maybe used 2 percussion layers (they only have one percussionist) or score for a larger orchestra, or created your own samples to use, they would help you arrange it to work within the limitations of the scoring orchestra. This is only my interpretation of it, which could be wrong.

In the end I think they want you to be creative and explore the possiblities of what can be done, to find a unique voice, I think those things will matter more.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Hey guys, this is Jack from Northern Film Orchestra here.

Firstly can I just say how thrilled we all are to see so many of you enjoying the competition and submitting such wonderful entries. The shortlisting process is definitely going to be extremely tough for us with such a strong calibre of music being delivered. You all deserve a pat on the back!

Its looks as if there has been a very lively discussion going on here which is great! Im sure many of you probably have questions so I'm here to clarify anything relating to the orchestra side of this competition and answer any questions for those of you who missed the live Q/A.
Thank you for joining us here Jack, I agree that there have been some amazing entries so far. It is great to see so much talent out there!

Yeah, that is very good information! Thanks!

Despite that, I have never tried to compose for a specific number of players myself. That puts many limitations, on e.g. percussion use as you just pointed out. I find it very interesting to try and see how I can manage to do it with this approach as a challenge to myself to make it sound good, interesting, fitting the picture and the band..

Hoping, that limitations will nurture creativity, eh?

Hey! Good to see a lot of people getting involved with this one. This is the second time I've entered a competition (the first was Westworld, like someone else in the thread!)

I found scoring an animation hugely different. It's like the music is shouldering the responsibility of bringing everything to life. I felt the details took on a huge significance.

Anyway, here's my entry:

Really cool to finally be able to go through all of these now that I'm done with my entry. It's interesting to hear everybody else's interpretation of this.

For my part, I watched this film a while back, so I tried not to be influenced by the original score as much as I possibly could (though that may or may not have happened, I've yet to listen to it since writing, so I've got no idea where I'm at). I did remember the main theme though, so I made the express decision to only use the woodblock theme at the end.

I finally decided to submit my little experiment, but I'm not satisfied with the end result.
I must say that scoring in real time was fast like nothing else (30 minutes to score the whole thing!), at first, BUT the result was too sloppy, too "simple", and with my keyboard (Yamaha P105) performing the perc is not a good idea, so then I spent about 2.5 hours trying to solve the timing issues and improving the overall sound, maybe more. 3 hours is the time limit I gave to myself so then I stopped, but damn, I'm not sure that's a good way to save time. Maybe with practice, but it also limits the amount of complexity you can safely add, so... I don't know. At the end of the day it is what it is I guess.

Below is a video of Dan Keen composing for this animation short in just an hour. Now if you don't want to be influenced you might not want to watch it, but it is great seeing what can be done in such a short period of time.

Hi folks

Good luck to everybody participating in this contest.

I completed my entry yesterday so here it is...

Here is how I approached it (I hadn't done anything like this before) - I decided I would attempt it in 3 cues, and as it happens I started writing with the feel good “Main Theme” at the end (Cue 3).

So my Cue 3 starts after the chase downwards and begins where the young girl takes full control over the beings with the long legs and gets them marching up the hill. The music starts gently and develops and intensifies throughout. There is a final solo piano rendition of the theme over the final credits at the end of the video.

Cue 2 or the chase downhill sequence, I wrote next and decided that I would keep to a relatively simple rhythm but keeping it going throughout. I reduced the intensity of the music at the point when the dog saves the day but tried to keep the momentum going while the young girl catches up and regains control of the situation.

Cue 1 at the beginning, I wrote last of all. It has gentle upwardly moving strings during the prologue, a hint to the Cue 3 melody on piano which I tried to synchronise with the sound of the young girl activating her staff for the final note of the theme, and then finally more powerful strings building to the calamity point when the girl tumbles and loses the object down the hillside. The chord progression used is the one that will become the basis for Cue 3.

I scored my music specifically for the instrumentation of the 27 piece Northern Film Orchestra and I used the following sample libraries in my production -

Cinematic Studio Series - Woodwinds, Brass and Strings including Solo Strings
Spitfire Audio - Harp, Albion ONE and Albion NEO
CineSamples - CinePerc
Sample Logic - Drum Fury
Piano - Noire and The Grandeur both by Native Instruments

I don't know if I'm going to submit my entry, for two reasons. One, it's my first time writing for picture, with a very limited free time to dedicate to fun activities like this and it shows... my writing sounds antiquate, compared to some of the posts here. This brings me to reason number two, which is related to age. I've watched part of the live video and felt like an old man sitting uncomfortably among young kids. So, I'm posting my version with a certain reluctance... :)
View attachment Spring-rob.mp4

I don't know if I'm going to submit my entry, for two reasons. One, it's my first time writing for picture, with a very limited free time to dedicate to fun activities like this and it shows... my writing sounds antiquate, compared to some of the posts here. This brings me to reason number two, which is related to age. I've watched part of the live video and felt like an old man sitting uncomfortably among young kids. So, I'm posting my version with a certain reluctance... :)
View attachment Spring-rob.mp4
Sounds fantastic Rob!

Top Bottom