What's new

Scorerelief 2021 competition

THE FILM SCORING COMPETITION WITH A HEART​

Score Relief is a free-to-enter film scoring competition. We have amazing prizes for composers, thanks to the generosity of Allen & Heath, ThinkSpace Education, Aston Microphones and Triune Digital, along with our partners at Northern Film Orchestra. We have a great judging panel of experienced and successful composers.

Enter Score Relief 2021!​

It's completely free to take part. Simply provide us with your email address here and we'll send you the unscored video, with all the instructions and information that you need. Deadline: Jan 31st 2021.

(broken link removed)

If you wish to donate to Scorerelief:

Here is my entry. (updated)

For this composition I got inspired by early Renaissance music.

Last edited:

Here is my entry.

For this composition I got inspired by early Renaissance music.

Really nice to hear a completely different approach. The only issue is that the sound effects are out of sink with the video and it sounds like you might have clipping on the music.

Really nice to hear a completely different approach. The only issue is that the sound effects are out of sink with the video and it sounds like you might have clipping on the music.
Clipping issue could be removed. But I cannot update it , can only create a new one.

Will work on the synch, can I delete it in your web site and upload a new one?

Last edited:
Really stoked on this, I'm about 25-30 seconds into my rendition and already having a ton of fun. I've done tons of tracks on my own but never wrote to picture. It's proving to be pretty challenging, but I think I may have time to try and squeeze out something before the deadline.

Will check back in when I have something to show! Even it's after the deadline 🏄‍♂️

In the same boat in that I tried staying away from watching other people's entries before I finished my own. I couldn't help but to listen to the original which is absolutely stunning, lots of great entries here too now that I have a chance to listen to them!

Here's how my went...

Wonderful Work. Well done!

So I am just starting to work on it (and until I have finished and submitted it, I am not going to listen to the other entries - but afterwards for sure!).

However, I am not completely sure I really understand this scene. So are those tree creatures (which seem to represent winter) just following the magic crystal (or whatever) like dogs? And she is using it to lure them away (but it also seems that she has a bit more control over them, once it's in her staff)? And are these magic trees "good" or not? On one hand, they are part of nature and remind me a bit of the Ents in LOTR. On the other hand, they are depicted a bit menacing.

I find that the text that comes with the video doesn't completely answer the questions to me ...

There is a full video of this short film on Youtube. It is 7 minutes long and may help you. I'm also left with some interrogations but I'm fine with it.
(There's music on the original video, so if you don't wan't to get influenced... mute it ?)

So I am just starting to work on it (and until I have finished and submitted it, I am not going to listen to the other entries - but afterwards for sure!).

However, I am not completely sure I really understand this scene. So are those tree creatures (which seem to represent winter) just following the magic crystal (or whatever) like dogs? And she is using it to lure them away (but it also seems that she has a bit more control over them, once it's in her staff)? And are these magic trees "good" or not? On one hand, they are part of nature and remind me a bit of the Ents in LOTR. On the other hand, they are depicted a bit menacing.

I find that the text that comes with the video doesn't completely answer the questions to me ...
Aren't they like ginormous moths?

Despite all that, the percussionist -- what instruments one usually has at hand? Triangle, cymbals and?

There is a full video of this short film on Youtube. It is 7 minutes long and may help you. I'm also left with some interrogations but I'm fine with it.
(There's music on the original video, so if you don't wan't to get influenced... mute it ?)
Thank you!

Part of the fun of this, for me, is seeing how different composers interpret the scene... I think it’s deliberately ambiguous... but maybe watch the original version (with the sound turned down) for a little more context? It’s on YT.

It's like risking Sauron getting hold of the the ring, if the "ents" get the ring (the light quartz magic thingy on the stick) winter will stay forever and spring will never come...

Well, that is my LOTR translation at least.... :)

They still said, somewhere, that they WILL take into account the translatability of the score. Even though you can use e.g. synths, they will have a hard time translating that to a chamber orchestra...

So having a cool synthy track might not land you the first prize, if I understood correctly?

Heya, folks!

Just finished this! Definitely had a lot of fun with this one; went for a big, giant-sounding orchestral fantasy piece in the vein of James Newton Howard/James Horner. This was also the piece for me to test out Cinematic Studio Woodwinds in context, and to see how well it fits with Nashville Scoring Strings and Junkie XL Brass.

Hope you folks like it!

Best,
Adam

LIBRARIES USED:

Nashville Scoring Strings
Junkie XL Brass
Cinematic Studio Woodwinds
Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 1
Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 3
Spitfire Audio Albion ONE
Spitfire Audio Hans Zimmer Percussion Standard
Spitfire Audio BBC Orchestra Lite
Cinesamples VOXOS 2
Cinematic Studio Strings
Kontakt Factory Library

Heya, folks!

Just finished this! Definitely had a lot of fun with this one; went for a big, giant-sounding orchestral fantasy piece in the vein of James Newton Howard/James Horner. This was also the piece for me to test out Cinematic Studio Woodwinds in context, and to see how well it fits with Nashville Scoring Strings and Junkie XL Brass.

Hope you folks like it!

Best,
Adam

LIBRARIES USED:

Nashville Scoring Strings
Junkie XL Brass
Cinematic Studio Woodwinds
Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 1
Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 3
Spitfire Audio Albion ONE
Spitfire Audio Hans Zimmer Percussion Standard
Spitfire Audio BBC Orchestra Lite
Cinesamples VOXOS 2
Cinematic Studio Strings
Kontakt Factory Library

Excellent score really has that James Newton Howard/James Horner that you were going with. The mix sounded really good as well.

Top Bottom