What's new

Scorerelief 2021 competition

Thanks for the headsup on this scoring comp.
Downloaded the video last night (just out of curiosity) to see what it’s like.
Such a beautifully animated short story.

Have so much other production work on the go, but started dabbling...hours later...and now I have a roughly sketched entry to complete before the 31st.

Last edited:
Too bad most of it will probably come down to who the best mixer is.
That wasn't the impression I got from the YouTube Q&A session on Sunday. Bryan specifically said: "We're not expecting production or mixing or mastering expertise... this is a composing competition." ... then Jack: "You can mix it and master it as good as you're able to when you submit [...] You want to present your music as best as you can [...] but we wouldn't mark you down for a bad mix".

That wasn't the impression I got from the YouTube Q&A session on Sunday. Bryan specifically said: "We're not expecting production or mixing or mastering expertise... this is a composing competition." ... then Jack: "You can mix it and master it as good as you're able to when you submit [...] You want to present your music as best as you can [...] but we wouldn't mark you down for a bad mix".
So I can score with NotePerformer in Sibelius without it "marking down"?

Thank you for the information ! And an another big thank to the organizers for this competition ! This is the second time I compose for a movie (after the Westworld Spitfire). It's a nice challenge for learning and progress. I really like to watch the entries of the different participants : it is stimulating and I'm often blown away. This is just my entry (maybe not definitive).

Im in! Competitions like this is big fun. Because of the challenge...not the competition. According to Spitfire the jury wont even bother to listen to all the entries anyway, but i do learn a lot doing things i normaly would not do.

So I can score with NotePerformer in Sibelius without it "marking down"?
I think the core desire is to judge the composition not the mix. However the qualities of the sample libraries used might effect the composition, though I feel strongly that the desire is to focus on the composition.

I am not sure if I will have enough time but I will try to do even I finally don't send. This Is a fun exercise and a great way to learn!

Absolutely out of the competition, but this is not the most important.

I know I will not finish in time, but the short is so nice and well made, that it is a joy to work on it.

And I've already learnt several things while trying to make my score.

Paolo

That's a nice short.
Meeting the deadline will be hard.

For those who consider entering seriously, please bear in mind the very limited orchestra that will play your piece (if you win of course) : 1 percussionist, chamber strings, only solo WW & brass, no tuba, no English horn, no celesta, etc. :)

I love this competition... the opportunity to score such nice material is great and I learned so much while composing. I don’t think I have a chance to win, cause there are so many great entries... but it’s awesome to have such a pool of scoreable material.

This is my entry:

I love this competition... the opportunity to score such nice material is great and I learned so much while composing. I don’t think I have a chance to win, cause there are so many great entries... but it’s awesome to have such a pool of scoreable material.

This is my entry:

Sounds fantastic! I have been listening to lots of entries on YouTube and they are all very good

I'm giving it a go but struggling to get a feel for the clip. Just got to keep trying but yeah, give it a go.

I had a very good time working on mine, the clip being absolutely stunning really helped. I limited my writing to the 27-piece orchestra listed in the grand prize. Although there is a moment where you'd need 3 percussionist but I couldn't resist :whistling:

I think everyone should take a crack at it, it's a great clip they chose with lots of flavor for a composer to work with

Hey! You used the little woodblock tune too! Awesome stuff, here's mine:

Yeah I suspect most people will have had the same thought... the wood blocks are so front and centre you kinda have to go with it!
Think it’s interesting to see how people treat the little doggy semi-climax when he saves the carrot... I must have tried half a dozen different things there... like yours better! Getting Star Wars vibes (in a good way).

Top Bottom