What's new

Scorerelief 2021 competition

Markrs

Complete Beginner

THE FILM SCORING COMPETITION WITH A HEART​

Score Relief is a free-to-enter film scoring competition. We have amazing prizes for composers, thanks to the generosity of Allen & Heath, ThinkSpace Education, Aston Microphones and Triune Digital, along with our partners at Northern Film Orchestra. We have a great judging panel of experienced and successful composers.

Enter Score Relief 2021!​

It's completely free to take part. Simply provide us with your email address here and we'll send you the unscored video, with all the instructions and information that you need. Deadline: Jan 31st 2021.

(broken link removed)

If you wish to donate to Scorerelief:

Last edited:
If anyone is planning on entering the competition there will be a Live Q&A with Jack Hughes from Northern Film Orchestra will be here on YouTube at 19.00 GMT
Plus remember to give to a very worthy cause :2thumbs:

Last edited:
I hope we have a few here are looking to or have entered the competition. This probably well beyond my very beginner abilities at the moment.

I hope we have a few here are looking to or have entered the competition. This probably well beyond my very beginner abilities at the moment.
Sometimes it is the trying that teaches you things. You don't have to actually enter the finished product. But I never pass up opportunities to get free scoreable video. Then check out what others did and see how you can improve.

Sometimes it is the trying that teaches you things. You don't have to actually enter the finished product. But I never pass up opportunities to get free scoreable video. Then check out what others did and see how you can improve.
You are right 😊

Even though I had posted this on this forum, I had not registered to get the competition pack as was a bit too nervous to do it. Thanks to the kind words I have requested the pack. ❤️

Even though I had posted this on this forum, I had not registered to get the competition pack as was a bit too nervous to do it. Thanks to the kind words I have requested the pack. ❤️
Oooh man absolutely you have to give you a try
I'm glad you did!
Things like this teach us something, surely not buying the latest library on the market...
Let's keep everybody in touch and see what we are able to do, and let's have fun!

Yeah, IMHO it's all about the challenge, not the result or the price, and by participating you are already contributing a bit to a good cause.
And you can always adapt the challenge to your needs: For this contest I'm trying something different, scoring "live" (I don't mean streaming or anything like that but improvising while watching the video, trying to find and set the mood in real time) and it's being really interesting.
It's going to require lots of corrections and improvements after the playing process, that's for sure, and some plain writing, but if the end result is good (or at least not horrible) it could speed up my workflow a lot.
I wonder if someone is composing like that...

For those that shy away from actually entering contests (I'm in the list) may I respectfully suggest that you download the contest materials (in this case the video) take a swing at it.

Thus far I've tried my hand at countless (literally, I've lost count) contests, and I've learned a ton, and I've had fun, and no, I have yet to submit anything. I came close with Cinesamples recent Christmas contest, but ran out of time what with Christmas and all that<G>!

For me the point is not the contest, or the prizes, it is an opportunity to work on something that is new to me. And even more important, it is the opportunity to compare what I've done with the output from others. Not in a contest sense, since I am not qualified to judge, but rather as a way to see how others approached the challenge. I learn quite a bit from that.

TL;DR - download the video, and have fun writing a score for it. If you like the result submit it, otherwise add it to your archive. You learn something every time you try!

I’m working on it in my spare time but I doubt I will finish in time, enough to my satisfaction in order to hit the deadline. But we’ll see

Top Bottom