What's new

SCORECLUB New Course: Practical Counterpoint 2 - intro SALE FINAL DAY!

alainmayrand

Hello all,

New course is out today: Practical Counterpoint 2: texture, direction and form in 2 voice writing.

This course is designed for the late-beginner/intermediate student who has done Practical Counterpoint (or any 2-voice counterpoint study) and wants to write some music!

It has as its goal to teach direct but deep principles of musical construction to write clear, elegant, lean, well-crafted short pieces in two voices. I consider this to be the foundation of good writing.

So, as such it is NOT a counterpoint course in the traditional sense, (dealing with species and such) but it is about the ART and CRAFT of two voice writing, covering texture, direction and form along with a few more things as well.

I explain things in detail on the course page, but if you have any questions at all, you can email me or DM through here as well.

Thank you!

Alain

ghandizilla

Just bought it. Counterpoint is very underlooked while it's one of the most important skills required in orchestration. Since it's easy to find some beginner courses and difficult to find educative materials more advanced than Fux, I'm very glad to see this.

OP
alainmayrand

alainmayrand

Thank you! I have more planned courses in counterpoint as well, so it's good to know that you see the importance of it in orchestration as well, and I fully agree on your point! The type of training that's in this course I believe leads in a straight line to orchestral writing and film composing.

Thank you!

Just bought it. Counterpoint is very underlooked while it's one of the most important skills required in orchestration. Since it's easy to find some beginner courses and difficult to find educative materials more advanced than Fux, I'm very glad to see this.

d.healey

Music Monkey
I'm still enjoying my way through the videos and doing the exercises. I've reached the analysis stage and had a go at the Canzonet exercise, I tried to incorporate some of the other ideas such as sequence, contrast, emphasis, etc. I consciously tried to limit myself to the period structure and didn't add an intro or ending.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/canzonetta-exercise-mp3.19269/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

OP
alainmayrand

alainmayrand

That's awesome!! That is so great to see! Thanks for sharing that!

I'm still enjoying my way through the videos and doing the exercises. I've reached the analysis stage and had a go at the Canzonet exercise, I tried to incorporate some of the other ideas such as sequence, contrast, emphasis, etc. I consciously tried to limit myself to the period structure and didn't add an intro or ending.

JF

Purchased! I am looking forward to getting started. Your classes have a significantly higher ROI than a new sample library.

Alain, what is your plan for the rest of the counterpoint series?

DANIELE

I have all of your courses (as you already know) and obviously I cannot miss this one.

Please Alain, something about non diatonic harmony...

OP
alainmayrand

alainmayrand

Purchased! I am looking forward to getting started. Your classes have a significantly higher ROI than a new sample library.
Thank you!

Alain, what is your plan for the rest of the counterpoint series?
* Other counterpoint types: cpe chromatic, atonal, quartal, pandiatonic.
* Imitative counterpoint & Bach inventions.
* 3 and 4 part counterpoint.
* Fugues (maybe :)

Top Bottom