Scoreclub - Essential Composer Training: Foundation

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by jononotbono, Jul 3, 2018.

1. ed buller

ed buller Senior Member

Mar 23, 2011
    SANTA MONICA
    not sure that's a MUST at this stage. Do everything in C to start ( if keyboard is your main ). Just work through the course with what you have. This is traditional Harmony boot camp but you'll need it. By the end you'll GET functional Harmony and how to use it !

best

e

jononotbono likes this.
  2. thesteelydane

thesteelydane Senior Member

Apr 9, 2015
    That's really not as hard as it sounds. A scale is a scale, so Ab major is exactly the same as C major - just different starting notes. If you're struggling with this, I suspect its because your familiarity with intervals as a concept needs some work. Once that is fully understood and internalised, you can rattle of any scale or triad half asleep.

Also, are you doing the ABRSM exams for your piano practice? My friend Anyssa is an ABRSM piano examiner in the UK - I'd practice my butt of if she was judging me....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  3. hstone

hstone Member

Feb 27, 2017
    I have taken the course and would say that both the way the material is presented and the actual content remind me of my 1st, maybe through 2nd, music theory semesters in college. I do like his style, as he often relates things in a film context that I certainly didn't get in college. I would just caution that he uses a very pen and paper based composing approach, so you won't be spending time in your DAW really, which is both good and bad I feel. Good because you might focus on the music more, but bad because many modern composers don't have the time to compose outside of their DAWs and the level of production required to make your music competitive is a high barrier to entry and is an aspect useful to at least incorporate to some extent in music training, IMO.

Anyways I would be glad to answer any questions you have about it, just let me know! Also, don't stress over knowing how to play and recall chords and things "instantly" - that will only come over the long haul as you practice. Instead, you might try keeping a cheat sheet handy with all the formulas in whole and helf-steps to construct different types of chords. Plus, I know you are a fellow Cubase user, so you could work in the piano roll and draw out each chord (or play it in of course), and then just save the midi. Might be slower than using the chord pads, but you will spend more time hearing the notes and seeing the structure visually on your piano roll, which is kind of another style of reading music altogether.

jononotbono likes this.
  4. jonathanparham

jonathanparham Senior Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks gentlemen

5. OP
    OP
    jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I'm actually studying both ABRSM Music Theory and also Piano. Just starting with Grade 1 and going to book Grade V for both by end of year. Just a personal goal to achieve. I want to study Jazz Piano but (in the voice of Bane) "That comes later" ;)