What's new

Score for a Cartoon That Doesn't Exist. Yet.

Ben E

You have to use your imagination to create the cartoon that this music goes to. I did it in the style of old Warner Brothers and Walter Lantz. Everything is Spitfire except for woodwinds which are Berlin. (Oh, and car horns are Vienna Perc, and there's a string run from Cinestrings.)

The Invisible Cartoon

https://beneshbach.com/resources/music/music/Invisible%20Cartoon.mp3

You have to use your imagination to create the cartoon that this music goes to. I did it in the style of old Warner Brothers and Walter Lantz. Everything is Spitfire except for woodwinds which are Berlin. (Oh, and car horns are Vienna Perc, and there's a string run from Cinestrings.)

The Invisible Cartoon

https://beneshbach.com/resources/music/music/Invisible%20Cartoon.mp3 (https://beneshbach.com/resources/music/music/Invisible Cartoon.mp3)
Really enjoyed that, well done!

Excellent work.. nice orchestral balance, woodwinds sound GREAT...

In a couple places the strings might benefit from a tighter, more accented attack... minor nitpick though, this is very well done...

Ryan

Excellent work.. nice orchestral balance, woodwinds sound GREAT...

In a couple places the strings might benefit from a tighter, more accented attack... minor nitpick though, this is very well done...

Ryan

Thank you for the advice, Ryan. Okay, were you thinking in the slower, softer passages or in the faster, louder passages? I can increase the attack in the slower passages by increasing note velocity (which in Spitfire SSS determines attack.) But the faster passages already have the velocity all the way up. So in cases like that how do you sharpen attack? Do you layer a spiccato onto it? And if so, is it just a matter of using your ear to blend them?

Hi Ben.
Cool stuff. Nice little motifs you are featuring. I really enjoyed it. Did you have a reference pool to come up with that idiomatic ideas in writing that piece? What I also like is that you don´t mickey mouse too much which tells me you have a sense for themes.
Thank you.
Best,
Alex

Sounds great to me! As ryans said, woodwinds sounding really nice. Good job on getting them to blend and balance with the spitfire stuff.

Hi Ben.
Cool stuff. Nice little motifs you are featuring. I really enjoyed it. Did you have a reference pool to come up with that idiomatic ideas in writing that piece? What I also like is that you don´t mickey mouse too much which tells me you have a sense for themes.
Thank you.
Best,
Alex

Thank you, Alex. The thematic musical stuff I just made up as I went -- except for the "theme" that sounds within the first 10 seconds (and then again later,) C to D dim which I stole from myself, (an earlier comp which I probably stole from someone else without knowing. [sigh]) I have a band background (guitar, bass, drums kind.) I've always suspected that the thematic sense I developed as a songwriter will be a liability when trying to compose orchestral pieces. I'm envious of people (like you, for instance) who can write amazing, coherent dissonant crazy pieces in weird times and so on. I've tried my hand at that, but at the end of the day I'm most at home writing self-contained melodies; orchestral "songs." if that makes sense.

Yes you could try layering short notes... This could also just be a matter of taste.. I tend to prefer a tighter/closer string sound with the attack more pronounced.

Really fun to listen, I also like to write this funny cartoonish cues, great for practicing harmonies and orchestration. I like the mix as well. Good job

Top Bottom