What's new

Save up to 63% on orchestral tools

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
It may just be me, but I wouldn’t buy Ark 1 for the strings. I find them very limited. On the other hand almost everything else in Ark 1, especially the choir and brass, is very good and useful beyond epic things.
Same for me, the strings (mostly the high) are the most unsatisfying part of 1, but quite nicely represented in 2 imo.

wst3

my office these days
Psychology of sales. <snip>

Blergh.. if only it was Ark 2 and 3 for $500.
I think they miscalculated on this. I own Ark 1, and will almost certainly buy Ark 2 for half off. But I'd have purchased 2 & 3 if they had been offered as a bundle at even a slightly better discount.

ReversedLogic

I think they miscalculated on this. I own Ark 1, and will almost certainly buy Ark 2 for half off. But I'd have purchased 2 & 3 if they had been offered as a bundle at even a slightly better discount.
I'm in the same boat on that one - wish there had been an Ark 2 and 3 bundle. It seems like it's still worth adding Ark2 at the discount but I likely would have done both as well!

jbuhler

Same for me, the strings (mostly the high) are the most unsatisfying part of 1, but quite nicely represented in 2 imo.
Do you have issues with the legatos of the low and mid Strings in 2? I’ve been messing around with the strings in this library again, because it is a nice sound, but the legato is sounding very uneven and adjusting the legato sample volume doesn’t really help (or I haven’t been able to find the proper setting).

Parsifal666

Do you have issues with the legatos of the low and mid Strings in 2? I’ve been messing around with the strings in this library again, because it is a nice sound, but the legato is sounding very uneven and adjusting the legato sample volume doesn’t really help (or I haven’t been able to find the proper setting).
Not really. I'm honestly a little surprised you're having trouble.

The chunky low strings in 1 are at times quite useful, but Iceni is easily as good for that kind of thing. Plus, you have the ostinato with round robins in Iceni, which can at times be quite the winner for ease of composition as well as gut-munching Metal.

MartinH.

I'll admit I'm kinda curious how well the guitar tremolo patches in Ark 1 will work for blackmetal :D. Theoretically with drums, bass, guitars and choir you'd have everything to make some metal. But I'll admit I don't like the sound of the guitar ensemble patch from the demos at all. Would be interesting to see how far you can take this with the DI signal and external amp sims.

jbuhler

Not really. I'm honestly a little surprised you're having trouble.

The chunky low strings in 1 are at times quite useful, but Iceni is easily as good for that kind of thing. Plus, you have the ostinato with round robins in Iceni, which can at times be quite the winner for ease of composition as well as gut-munching Metal.
Yes, I quite like Iceni myself. In general, I use a combination of SCS, SSyS, and Berlin Strings for strings, but they can be very fussy (or too nice), and the ensemble patches from those libraries are sometimes too homogenous when sketching.

Parsifal666

I'll admit I'm kinda curious how well the guitar tremolo patches in Ark 1 will work for blackmetal :D. Theoretically with drums, bass, guitars and choir you'd have everything to make some metal. But I'll admit I don't like the sound of the guitar ensemble patch from the demos at all. Would be interesting to see how far you can take this with the DI signal and external amp sims.
The trem guitar in Ark is good. However, I found it impossible to resist just plugging in and recording it myself.

For me, the Ark distorted guitar samples are mostly good for inspiration splats. It's relatively easy today to find a better Metal guitar sound elsewhere, one that you can play yourself should the Uli/Ritchie/Yngwie spirit possess you.

jbuhler

what's the sentiment on Ark3 from current owners?
I'm mixed. It's very fun to mess around with, and some of the multis can make you giddy with power, but I haven't found it especially useful. The atonal clusters aren't generally voiced the way I use atonal clusters and I've found the loud multis hard to mix, even if they are fun to play. But that's probably just me. Others around here seem to use it a lot. Maybe if I wrote more figures with lots of repeating notes.

dzilizzi

I know nothing
I have the number of percussion libraries including stormdrum 3 so I just don't know how useful number three is going to be
I've been watching Daniel James' walk through a bit at a time. He seems to be able to write with it. But it is loud. I'm liking the sound of it. I don't have Stormdrum though.

MartinH.

Just bought Ark 1, now waiting to receive download instructions. One of the checkout screens said I'll be able to use Native Access, which I assume to be wrong and just a standard info they forgot to remove for this deal. What I found interesting is that during checkout it told me to read the terms and conditions from OT, but didn't link them and didn't make me confirm I've accepted them. Sounded more like a not legally binding suggestion to do it:

upload_2018-12-9_10-53-52.png

Unless the library comes with an installer that makes me accept another set of terms and conditions, as far as I understand my contract only is with NI under their usual terms and conditions.

Welldone

Several european stores offer the same price, independently from the VAT amount. Here in Switzerland is not so high like in other countries, but the final price is the same. For this reason I usually buy by BestService, when possible.
Thanks for your reply. The OT site lists the prices without VAT, while the NI sale includes the German VAT. After four days I wrote NI a second mail asking about the VAT. All I got in reply was an automated notice, telling me they have many tickets at the moment and that someone will take care of my question ASAP:scout:

MartinH.

Thanks for your reply. The OT site lists the prices without VAT, while the NI sale includes the German VAT. After four days I wrote NI a second mail asking about the VAT. All I got in reply was an automated notice, telling me they have many tickets at the moment and that someone will take care of my question ASAP:scout:
After a purchase earlier this year my tax accountant had me request a corrected invoice from NI because the way they declared the VAT wasn't exactly as tax law would require, so I opened a support ticket and got a corrected invoice. It was just some detail about explicitly stating the VAT is 19% instead of "VAT included", no change about the amount of VAT.

I wouldn't count on them being able to reply to you in time before the sale ends. They probably have their hands full guiding people through issues with continuata connect.

MHP

Audio Engineer & Producer
I am quite new to the VI-world and after using the Logic on-board instruments and some Nexus2 stuff for many years I recently bought Albion One and Requiem Light.
I mostly produce orchestra-enhanced rock or metal music (call it Symphonic Rock/Metal). Albion Iceni seemed so far the next logical step for me.
But this offer is very tempting and Ark 1 looks like the perfect solution to find its place in a dense rock/metal song arrangement. Ark 2 could be very problematic because of the noise floor which would be pronounced by further compression in the final mastering but for the extra charge of 173€ it may be a good complement for quieter productions in the future. Not sure about Ark 3 yet.

I am wondering if my 2012 Mac Mini (i7 2.3Ghz Quadcore, 16GB RAM, High Sierra) would manage the huge Ark libraries smoothly - is there any experience with that configuration in the community?

jbuhler

I am wondering if my 2012 Mac Mini (i7 2.3Ghz Quadcore, 16GB RAM, High Sierra) would manage the huge Ark libraries smoothly - is there any experience with that configuration in the community?
It depends on how you load stuff of course, but I never had any trouble running the Arks on my mid-2012 2.7ghz i7 16GB MBP. You need the libraries on an SSD.

With respect to the noise floor of Ark 2, I’ve never personally had an issue with it, and I’ve used the library a lot.

Top Bottom