What's new

Samsung Galaxy View 18.4 tablet

Hey Everyone. Just got my Galaxy View... Installed Lemur with a custom template and C_brains (Which is fantastic!). Runs like a charm!
The resolution is Full HD.. so not really high compared to some mobile devices. But because of the huge screen you can really put a bunch of macros there!
Really recommend it :)
That's C-Brains?, I don't recognize it. I mean I know you've customized it, but how much of that is cbrains and how much is custom?

No, this is my custom Lemur template for Cubase! C_brains is on another tab at the right top of the screen :)
As far as i know its not recommended to costumize c_brains yet. I believe they are planning that for future updates... correct me if i'm wrong! But the resolution of C_brains was designed for iPad. So everything is a little bit smaller in the center of the screen. Not a big problem in my opinion :) just have a small issue at the moment with the pitch/velocity selector at the moment. But i'm pretty sure I did something wrong. Asked the Midi Kinetics staff about it... so that'll be solved quickly I guess.

Damn, that looks very nice! Wonder how it compares to TouchDAW
If im correct, touchdaw is more like a mackie control emulator with a xy pad and piano. Dont know if you can make your own layout. I tried to use touchOSC instead on the galaxy view. But there is no rotate screen detector in the tablet, it is always horizontal. Problem was that touchdaw started in vertical mode for me. So there were 2 big black bars on the left and right side. Tried to fix it with several lock rotation apps for android but no luck.... besides that i think you can pretty much do the same like you can with lemur. Besides the whole physics module in lemur.

Hi Rico,
just saw your Lemur Setup on your Galaxy View - looks f*cking great!
How did you connect it to you computer - via Midi or WiFi?
Which Android Version are you running, is your computer a Mac or a PC?
Thank you very much for a short info! Kind regards from Germany! Karsten

Hi Rico,
just saw your Lemur Setup on your Galaxy View - looks f*cking great!
How did you connect it to you computer - via Midi or WiFi?
Which Android Version are you running, is your computer a Mac or a PC?
Thank you very much for a short info! Kind regards from Germany! Karsten
I actually have the same question! The good news is, it has a separate power supply, so you can charge it with the USB connected to a USB hub. But I really prefer to send all midi devices to my iconnectivity 4+ interface. This sadly does not support android, but it does recognize any class compliant midi USB device connected to it. So, I suppose, it must be possible to connect the Galaxy View to the PC/Mac and somehow receive and send midi to and from it. Does anyone know, wether the android could sort of fake a class compliant device via the USB port? Thanks!

After trying out, reading a lot and even talking to Android App developers this is what I know at the moment:
Only Android 6 and later offers the MIDI over USB Mode. (And it seems that you then have only 1 MIDI Port, maybe someone can confirm or correct this?)
The Galaxy does not support Android 6 and theres is no info if and when it might be.
If an app has drivers for devices like Midi Interfaces built in - no problems. This is the case for Lemur on iOS.
I bought the ik multimedia MIDI iRig2 including the offical OTG Adapter but Lemur does not recognise it because there is no driver. According to an App developer its not possible to install drivers (like on a computer) which then can be used by the apps on Android.. At the moment I'm running Lemurs Midi Connection over WiFI which is a pain. It's slow and buggy and i have to restart Lemur 10 times a day because the Midi Connection is lost.
There are rumours about another 18" tablet w/ Android 6 which might be released in June 2017. Otherwise going to an ipad is another option.
Did not think its this complicated ;)

After trying out, reading a lot and even talking to Android App developers this is what I know at the moment:
Only Android 6 and later offers the MIDI over USB Mode. (And it seems that you then have only 1 MIDI Port, maybe someone can confirm or correct this?)
The Galaxy does not support Android 6 and theres is no info if and when it might be.
If an app has drivers for devices like Midi Interfaces built in - no problems. This is the case for Lemur on iOS.
I bought the ik multimedia MIDI iRig2 including the offical OTG Adapter but Lemur does not recognise it because there is no driver. According to an App developer its not possible to install drivers (like on a computer) which then can be used by the apps on Android.. At the moment I'm running Lemurs Midi Connection over WiFI which is a pain. It's slow and buggy and i have to restart Lemur 10 times a day because the Midi Connection is lost.
There are rumours about another 18" tablet w/ Android 6 which might be released in June 2017. Otherwise going to an ipad is another option.
Did not think its this complicated ;)
Oh! So, this tablet doesn't even support a USB to midi interface? One midi port would do it for me, as I just need this for Lemur and for my purposes one port will provide enough midi commands. If this only works via wifi, it is really a shame for android ... years behind iOS in that regard!
I already got an iPad and it's fine for controllers and what not. But I am craving for a really large surface for Cubase commands etc ... Hz style, you know. :) This looks fine for that purpose, but I really want it to run stable without loosing the connection. iconnectivity 4+ worked wonders for me in that regard! I have not have a single incident of something not working due to no midi connection, since I bought it ...

Does anyone know where I can find out how to HARDWIRE connect my Galaxy 18" tablet into Lemur Daemon? the USB cable into the computer didnt seem to make a difference.

You can't use the Lemur Daemon with Windows. Well...it doesn't provide any ports, though it will still show the connections. On iOS you can do a direct USB connection. You should ask the MIDI Kinetics guys. I know they don't "officially" support Android, but of course I have used Android with their stuff just fine. Lemur works on both.

Sorry for m late response :(
As USB Midi does not work withe the Galaxy and Android 5 I use the Samsung USBToEthernet Adapter which works great.

Good luck figuring out!

Hey Everyone. Just got my Galaxy View... Installed Lemur with a custom template and C_brains (Which is fantastic!). Runs like a charm!
The resolution is Full HD.. so not really high compared to some mobile devices. But because of the huge screen you can really put a bunch of macros there!
Really recommend it :)

Hi Rico,

Really love your Lemur template. Care to share it? I'm a Logic Pro user (also from the Netherlands..) but sure can use a lot of the commands.

Sorry for m late response :(
As USB Midi does not work withe the Galaxy and Android 5 I use the Samsung USBToEthernet Adapter which works great.

Good luck figuring out!

Hey Karsten,

Figuring how to do this exact same thing at the moment but having a hard time getting the Galaxy View to "speak" to Osculator on my host Mac Pro. How did you manage to do this?
I'm coming out of the micro USB port on the Galaxy view, through the usb/ethernet adapter, into my gigabit switch (where my host and slave PC are connected). I checked the adapter and it works fine when connected to the internet ethernet, but when connected to the gigabit switch it seems to not be able to connect properly. Any idea?

Hey Kevin,
i don't use Osculator and I dont know exactly what that is.
I run the "Lemur Daemon" App for Mac OS X for connecting Lemur on the Galalxy to my MacPro.
Below you find pictures of the settings both on the Galaxy and my Mac.

Hope that helps and goodl luck! Best, Karsten

Attachments

• Galaxy Adapter Network Settings.jpg
    Galaxy Adapter Network Settings.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Mac OS Network Settings.png
    Mac OS Network Settings.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 14
Hey Karsten,

Figuring how to do this exact same thing at the moment but having a hard time getting the Galaxy View to "speak" to Osculator on my host Mac Pro. How did you manage to do this?
I'm coming out of the micro USB port on the Galaxy view, through the usb/ethernet adapter, into my gigabit switch (where my host and slave PC are connected). I checked the adapter and it works fine when connected to the internet ethernet, but when connected to the gigabit switch it seems to not be able to connect properly. Any idea?

I have the Galaxy connected by Wifi, and Osculator works great. Just make sure you have the right IP address of the computer running Osculator set in the settings of Lemur on the Galaxy. I choose port 9000.

I'm planning to buy the USB to ethernet adapter, as Wifi can be slow and sometimes messages are missed.

Top Bottom