What's new

Samsung Galaxy View 18.4 tablet

pmountford

Interested to hear about this Android based tablet - rumoured to be released in the not too distant future. Rather pleased with my cheepo Hannspree 13" tablet for controlling Cubase through Lemur but now I've started filling the screen up with useful shortcuts then this 18.4 tablet looks rather interesting:

https://www.stuff.tv/me/news/samsungs-184in-galaxy-view-tablet-breaks-cover

Shame it's only 1080p but then again that should be reflected in price - I guess it doesn't need a retina display for Lemur usage...

I'd find this useful. I wish more tablets of this size would come out for Windows, as I'd potentially replace my laptop with one. Lemur on a 18.4" screen is very enticing :).

Yeah, Lemur works fine on Android tablets!

If you want nothing more than a Lemur touch surface then an Android tablet is an affordable way in. Much less useful for any other musical tasks, unfortunately, and the tablet ecosystem on Android in general is fairly weak, but I could easily see this or an old Nexus 10 (which can be had for cheap) making a great Lemur command centre.

Lemur works fine here on Android - I use the iPad for controlling the sample libraries which does the job equally. I wouldn't take my cheepo Android tablet out of the studio - there's a big difference in quality/durablilty over the iPad for other uses - but more than adequate for running Lemur.

Slight scaling issue on my device which means that Lemur sees this as 480p not 960p so I hope the native 1080p resolution is recognised in the Galaxy View simply because there's a minimum pixel size that Lemur allows you to create so with an 18" screen the buttons could potentially be on the big size - but this may just be my Hannspree device issue rather than Android specific.

And in my experience it even runs better on Android, with even the oldest Android devices able to easily handle very complex interfaces.

Was looking at this the other day. Was interested till I heard they made a lot of hardware compromises on it to keep the costs down and that compared to the S2 9.7, it's not worth the price.

I guess it depends whether you want it for other tasks aswell - but if it's just going to be used to run Lemur do you really need the latest cpu etc?

Shame it's only 1080p but then again that should be reflected in price - I guess it doesn't need a retina display for Lemur usage...
This would have replaced my Tab S for sheet music, but not at 1080p. At this resolution I can only assume they're targeting consumers who mainly just want a portable tv. A shame indeed.

Not even sure about release date yet or indeed specs so it's difficult to guess a price. Also because there's nothing at this size they could offer it at a premium. If I had to guess though I'd say it could be around $600 because other than the screen it's hardly cutting edge.. But that's just my estimate - don't hold me to it!

I've been thinking about replacing my 23" touchscreen with an iPad but one of the big reasons that I haven't is I think it looks rather impressive to have a big touchscreen. This would definitely solve that issue! I hope it isn't too expensive.

I wish Samsung would have put Windows 10 on the tablet.
But even with Android it could be tempting if the tablet can also be used as a monitor (HDMI in).

I've been thinking about replacing my 23" touchscreen with an iPad but one of the big reasons that I haven't is I think it looks rather impressive to have a big touchscreen. This would definitely solve that issue! I hope it isn't too expensive.

What are you using on your 23" touchscreen? Lemur? Or touch OSC? Those touchscreens dont have any software right? They are just screens? How are you connecting it? Does it require a computer to run?
Thanks!

@ChristopherDoucet Yes, you're right, the touchscreens don't necessarily have an os (although I have seen all-in-one PC's that have either/or Android/Windows). If you're running a 23" touchscreen you need to either have a PC connected and run an Android emulator or buy a cheep Android media box. From discussions previously the emulator route was not deemed that successful, although that may have changed. This is one reason why I like the tablet route - it's self contained (and much thinner than some of the touchscreen monitors out there - atleast the one I tried) and has WIFI that just plugs into your adhoc network. And once you finally have it setup it's pretty solid.

What are you using on your 23" touchscreen? Lemur? Or touch OSC? Those touchscreens dont have any software right? They are just screens? How are you connecting it? Does it require a computer to run?
Thanks!
Just running Emulator Pro on my slave. It doesn't look as nice as Lemur of TouchOSC which is one of the reasons that I'd like to get an iPad or Android to replace it. I've never tried using an Android emulator so maybe that could work.

Hey Everyone. Just got my Galaxy View... Installed Lemur with a custom template and C_brains (Which is fantastic!). Runs like a charm!
The resolution is Full HD.. so not really high compared to some mobile devices. But because of the huge screen you can really put a bunch of macros there!
Really recommend it :)

Attachments

• IMG_20160303_041234.jpg
    IMG_20160303_041234.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 820
Top Bottom