What's new

Samsung 4TB QVO drive on amazon for £ 312.99

It depends. Amazon has changed a lot of things. So the individual states determine if there is a sales tax. Some states like Oregon do not have sales tax. The state then sets a percentage that is basically voted in. Then they counties and cities may add on to it based on voted in bills. So if we want public transportation, they pass a bill charging an extra .5% sales tax to help pay for it. Things like that. This is why, even though the tax is 7% in California, the county of Los Angeles has something like 9.5% sales tax.

Generally, the states can't make companies who are not located within the state pay sales tax. This has come under fire with Amazon being everywhere and nowhere. I think it was as of last year, Amazon agreed to start paying the sales tax. There was a long court battle. There is still no sales tax on digital products in California. Don't know about other states. So i don't pay tax on downloaded libraries. And if you buy from a company that is only located in another state, they don't have to charge you sales tax, but you are expected to include the amount of tax ( at the state rate of 7% because the state doesn't care about the county tax) you should have paid.

Does that answer your question?
I live in Texas, and these days I pay tax on almost all downloaded libraries. Physical stuff from Sweetwater and many other out of state businesses doesn't get charged. Not sure if software purchased through Sweetwater gets taxed as I haven't done that in several years. But pretty much all the European companies I order from use other companies to collect the money, and those companies all collect sales tax in Texas these days. Spitfire and Native Instruments both seem to process orders themselves and both also collect sales tax. Personally, I don't mind paying taxes so long as it's easy and transparent, since taxes are the price of living in a nicer world.

I live in Texas, and these days I pay tax on almost all downloaded libraries. Physical stuff from Sweetwater and many other out of state businesses doesn't get charged. Not sure if software purchased through Sweetwater gets taxed as I haven't done that in several years. But pretty much all the European companies I order from use other companies to collect the money, and those companies all collect sales tax in Texas these days. Spitfire and Native Instruments both seem to process orders themselves and both also collect sales tax. Personally, I don't mind paying taxes so long as it's easy and transparent, since taxes are the price of living in a nicer world.
i figure it is because Silicone Valley has a big influence on California's economy that they don't charge sales tax on digital products. So you are saying I might not want to retire to Texas? LOL! You don't have state taxes, which we do.

Yes, we don't have an income tax, and that is largely why we can't have nice things in Texas. Except roads. For whatever reason, they always find a way to build more roads. Pretty sure the concrete lobby is very powerful. And prisons. We build lots of those too. But unlike our roads our prisons are really shitty.

Well ... took the plunge and ordered from Amazon - UK. No clue what USA final cost will be, but need 4K SSD and this could be cool surprise .... ??

Last edited:
Will the QVO fail before the EVO?
SSD's are all quite robust these days. For sample library use - where you write once and read many many times, there is very little if any difference between the models in terms of physical issues with the drive.

QVO's are awesome for samples. Read time is identical here to EVO's - we have maybe 6 of the QVO's and 2 of the Evo's between three workstations. 4TB versions of the QVO's for samples and sound effects libraries.

I really could not figure out any reason to get EVO for sample lib usage over QVO.

Indeed. The QVO will do just fine. In most cases, before you hit the bottleneck on the SSDs you'll crap out on the CPU.

Top Bottom