What's new

Samsung 4TB QVO drive on amazon for £ 312.99

Sorry, maybe I was being a little obtuse....

What I meant was that in the UK (and a lot of Europe) not only do we pay more, but the government and the EU load an additional 20% tax on prices.

Fortunately, I'm VAT registered....

There is state sales tax that varies by county. Mine is about 9%. However, they don't charge me sales tax on this stuff and at the end of the year with my tax return there is a spot to put in your estimated sales tax from stuff you bought through the mail on which sales tax wasn't charged. That rate is only 7%. And some states don't have sales tax.

Is this SSD better than the Evo ones?

I've been looking for a good deal on the Samsung 860 EVO 4TB. Best price around £490

Cheers

Actually, perhaps you could clarify this for me, just out of casual interest. I always thought that US sales tax varied by state (not by county) and that if you purchased from a different state, you didn't pay the sales tax.

Or am I ill informed (wouldn't be the first time).

Is this SSD better than the Evo ones?

I've been looking for a good deal on the Samsung 860 EVO 4TB. Best price around £490

Cheers

It's not as high spec as the EVO, but as I intend to use this for reading sample libraries (very few writes - many reads), its a very acceptable alternative. If I were hammering it with writes I might well go for the EVO. The QVO has a three year warranty.

It's not as high spec as the EVO, but as I intend to use this for reading sample libraries (very few writes - many reads), its a very acceptable alternative. If I were hammering it with writes I might well go for the EVO. The QVO has a three year warranty.
Yeah, it's just for sample libraries here too

Actually, perhaps you could clarify this for me, just out of casual interest. I always thought that US sales tax varied by state (not by county) and that if you purchased from a different state, you didn't pay the sales tax.

It depends. Amazon has changed a lot of things. So the individual states determine if there is a sales tax. Some states like Oregon do not have sales tax. The state then sets a percentage that is basically voted in. Then they counties and cities may add on to it based on voted in bills. So if we want public transportation, they pass a bill charging an extra .5% sales tax to help pay for it. Things like that. This is why, even though the tax is 7% in California, the county of Los Angeles has something like 9.5% sales tax.

Generally, the states can't make companies who are not located within the state pay sales tax. This has come under fire with Amazon being everywhere and nowhere. I think it was as of last year, Amazon agreed to start paying the sales tax. There was a long court battle. There is still no sales tax on digital products in California. Don't know about other states. So i don't pay tax on downloaded libraries. And if you buy from a company that is only located in another state, they don't have to charge you sales tax, but you are expected to include the amount of tax ( at the state rate of 7% because the state doesn't care about the county tax) you should have paid.

Does that answer your question?

State by state, BUT Amazon may treat this as US purchase and apply my State tax. If so, I am even better off, since tax will be calculated on a lower amount. May save as much as ~$100.

@ pfmusic ..... I have several smaller EVO(s) but just installed my first QVO and all is great. Sample reads here as well and cannot discern any difference. Some comparison articles spec'd QVO better than other reputable competitors.

State by state, BUT Amazon may treat this as US purchase and apply my State tax. If so, I am even better off, since tax will be calculated on a lower amount. May save as much as ~$100.

@ pfmusic ..... I have several smaller EVO(s) but just installed my first QVO and all is great. Sample reads here as well and cannot discern any difference. Some comparison articles spec'd QVO better than other reputable competitors.
Cheers will have a further look at the QVO

Will the QVO fail before the EVO?

It the writes that kill SSD Drives, not the reads, so my SSD's will have sample libraries written to them and that will be it for a while.

Besides, it has three year warranty, and a 4TB SSD will be a lot cheaper by the time that date comes up...

Yes, thank you. Sounds like it could be an administrative nightmare, but I suppose you just get used to it....
If you sell out of a brick and mortar store, it is easy. If you do mail orders and have multiple stores in different states or even counties, it can be a big pain. :sad:

Top Bottom