What's new

Samsung 4tb evo vs qvo

Studio E

Eric Watkins
This last weekend’s sales did me in on drive space. My 2TB SSD is full and my other sample drive is a 7200 for smaller, less used libraries.

I only know enough to be dangerous, and not enough to know if there is a significant difference for the purpose of sample streaming. Any thoughts from the hard drive-literate?

Hadrondrift

The QVO models have very bad writing speed, can be even slower than a HDD at long sequential writes. Usually, I would avoid them as a system drive. BUT as big storage for sample data, where you write once and read often, I think they can be an inexpensive alternative to the EVOs. I have no personal experience with the QVOs, though.

Last edited:

el-bo

When life gives you lemons, swap 'em for mangos
If you widen the net a little, Crucial ssd can be had for very good prices.

Fry777

I have a 4Tb EVO and a 4Tb QVO with some libraries on each and I see no difference when using samples. The notable difference is in warranty length (5 years (EVO) vs 3 (QVO) ) and when writing massive files to the SSD (not typical when composing) as @Hadrondrift said.

heisenberg

having uncertain feelings
I have a 4Tb EVO and a 4Tb QVO with some libraries on each and I see no difference when using samples. The notable difference is in warranty length (5 years (EVO) vs 3 (QVO) ) and when writing massive files to the SSD (not typical when composing) as @Hadrondrift said.
Same experience. QVO has been fine for me along with the EVOs I have. No appreciable difference in use with samples.

wst3

Lunatic - it's really that simple
I have used different drives from both Samsung and Crucial. All my sample drives are MX500s, I went with them for price, warranty, and performance. In the real world (or as close as my world comes) I have seen no difference between the MX500 and different Samsung models.

My criteria, since I am about to upgrade a 1TB sample drive to 2TB:
I want a 5 year warranty - that doesn't prove anything more than the manufacturer is willing to bet that it will last that long.
Performance has to approach the limits of SATA III, beyond that there really isn't much of an advantage. And performance specs are tricky at best anyway.
Price - I have to be able to afford it<G>

For now it looks like a 2TB Crucial MX500 for about $200. For just a little more I could "upgrade" to an 870 EVO, which is tempting. The leap to the 860 EVO is significantly more, and the 860 Pro is even more.

My only concern with the QVO drives is the 3 year warranty, and that's probably silly since I've yet to have a drive I did not outgrow in 3 years. But one can hope...

colony nofi

We have 6 of the QVO's around the studios here. 2 are 2TB and 4 are 4Tb each Used for
(a) Sample Libraries
(b) Sound Effect Libraries
(c) Project Backup / Temporary Project Drive (old server wasn't up to task on a multi-room project and this was a great stop-gap measure

Yes, they only have 3 years warranty, but looking at the expected life of the drives, for the use purposes (which is mainly reading) they're fantastic and very good value.
I've recently got some QLC drives in by Sabrent which are incredible value - the 8TB NVME particularly allows for some pretty useful workflows.

So long as you are not using these for a data base server (or something that is constantly writing/re-writing massive files, they are excellent drives.

sostenuto

NKS Fan !
Been awhile, but got several excellent 'deals' on Amazon 'returns' for both EVO & QVO.
QVO 4TB works well as sample drive 'here', but do not do large, orchestral projects.

sostenuto

NKS Fan !
Often appear on Item page, but down below price and brief descriptions.
Check this Link, just off right bottom corner of SSD image (after scrolling down as far as page goes).
'New & Used (17) from $90.29 & FREE Shipping.'

Have purchased several from Amazon Warehouse like this 'Used - Very Good' one.

Last edited:

Soundbed

Music for TV
Often appear on Item page, but down below price and brief descriptions.
Check this Link, just off right bottom corner of SSD image (after scrolling down as far as page goes).
'New & Used (17) from $90.29 & FREE Shipping.'

Have purchased several from Amazon Warehouse like this 'Used - Very Good' one.

Oh I see! I would likely never trust buying a drive that is not new.

sostenuto

NKS Fan !
Understand ! 👍🏻
Purchase many items regularly _ Amazon Prime _ and amazing return system. Several SSD /HDD, like the one mentioned, and never an issue. Very few returns (0 Disk drives) yet all handled quickly /smoothly. Use Samsung Magician to check performance.

zwhita

Just ordered a 4TB QVO 870 to upgrade my 1TB EVO 860, and in regards to read performance, the only significant difference I see is random-access reads seem to be about 10% faster on the EVO(TLC vs. QLC). User Benchmark link

I'm now wondering what Orchestral libraries to keep on the smaller drive, if it's going to have somewhat faster random-access read performance.

My first guess would be to partition the orchestral libraries out (between the two drives) in accordance to what would be a typical project. Since I'm so green at this, I would just put larger sized libraries on the 4TB drive and smaller ones on the 1TB.

One thing I still wonder about performance is how much difference the 4GB cache in the QVO vs. 1GB cache in the EVO will make?

Last edited:

thevisi0nary

Piggy backing on this thread.

Is the prevailing knowledge that QLC read only speed remains unaffected when the drive is full?

Soundbed

Music for TV
Understand ! 👍🏻
Purchase many items regularly _ Amazon Prime _ and amazing return system. Several SSD /HDD, like the one mentioned, and never an issue. Very few returns (0 Disk drives) yet all handled quickly /smoothly. Use Samsung Magician to check performance.
That’s good to know. It would still “stress me out” to know I bought something used and it might have a higher failure chance. I’ll pay more for a little peace of mind.

Top Bottom