1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sampling a Guitar and 2 French Horns - 1.1 Update

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Rv5, Apr 21, 2017.

1. LamaRose

LamaRose Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Awesome ensemble freebie... may have to nick some kids out of their lunch money, but I'm definitely getting the horns.

Rv5 likes this.
  2. Jonas Hallstrom

Jonas Hallstrom Senior Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I just bought the ML Brass 2FH. Great price and great instrument!
    Here is a chorale I wrote using that library and Eastwest spaces reverb

Rv5, LamaRose, hawpri and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kevin Fortin

Kevin Fortin Senior Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Gainesville, FL
    Those brass libraries sound great! I just bought both of them. I enjoyed reading your background notes about the process.

Rv5 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Rv5

Rv5 Senior Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for the demo @Jonas Hallstrom - amazing to hear the horns in other's hands, a beaut piece!

Thanks @Kevin Fortin - been a fun journey so far and exited about the next steps!

ML Brass Horn Players Tony and Julia in Action

I've worked with Tony and Julia over the years, mainly on my YouTube project and thought I'd share our latest work together. You can check them out doing their thing here in the latest 'epic rendition'

A few other upcoming sample projects are in the video: the incredible Binn's Organ (hard to miss as it's the size of a house) and the choir; an English Chamber Choir in-situ in a church here in the Midlands of England.

5. LamaRose

LamaRose Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Smaller, low-dynamic ensembles - especially brass and strings - is a niche with some opportunity, imho.

6. YaniDee

YaniDee Senior Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Montreal
    I purchased the 2 French Horns..Nice sound.
    I don't know if it's me, as no one else has mentioned it, but I feel that the extreme lower notes seem to scoop up from a slightly different pitch..Maybe not a full semitone, but the pitch seems slightly unstable ( maybe variations in pitch of the round robin samples).

7. LamaRose

LamaRose Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Noticed this on the free ensemble patch... just a few notes... also noticed some RR notes... all-in-all, it adds realism to my ears...

8. OP
    OP
    Rv5

Rv5 Senior Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Yes the extreme lower notes do have some that scoop up. As per the post the session was designed to get test material so we moved on where we would have otherwise gotten more takes, so it's something to be mindful of when considering the library. It just happens to be the results were such people encouraged a release. I come from the ilk of 'natural' samples which as reported by some e.g. @LamaRose help add the the realism, but it's at the cost of being baked into the same note, the age old debate! In this case it's a little more than I would do for a full commercial library, hence the price, and hopefully the candid nature of the thread from pre-recording to developments means no-one is disappointed. So far so good; that being said, with the legato update some notes will be smoothed out for a little more consistency.

It's just been amazing to get such nice feedback and support, so certainly looking forward to sharing the more expansive libraries that are in the works.

In the mean time: Here is a freebie celebrating the upcoming 50,000 subscriber mark of my YouTube channel. These are Kodos and Anvils sampled during down-time from the EPIC Walking Dead video.

[​IMG]

2 Kodos
    8rr
    5-6 Velocity Layers
    Hit L Side
    Hit R Side
    Double Hit
    Clack L Side
    Clack R Side
    Double Hit
    Variety of Anvil hits and taps
    4 Mic Positions
    Requires Full Version of Kontakt: 5.6+

FREE DOWNLOAD:
    https://goo.gl/q86ycr

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  9. LamaRose

LamaRose Senior Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Kudos for those kodos.

Rv5 likes this.
  10. DSmolken

DSmolken Senior Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Sorry, I couldn't resist...

sry.jpg

Rv5 likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Rv5

Rv5 Senior Member

Jan 5, 2013
  12. Eptesicus

Eptesicus Senior Member

Jan 8, 2017
    UK
    Just bought the horns for a fiver. They have a lovely tone. If i am honest they sound better than the 2 horn patch in hollywood brass!

Is there a round robin reset as there are a few slightly dodgy notes (but with RR you could make sure they didn't play)?

13. OP
    OP
    Rv5

Rv5 Senior Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for the kind words @Eptesicus and glad you like them. Currently working on an update that'll smooth out some of the notes that could use a gentle nudge. A reset rr button is a good shout, will look into including that too.

14. OP
    OP
    Rv5

Rv5 Senior Member

Jan 5, 2013
    First legato test:

Leo, hawpri, aaronventure and 3 others like this.
  15. dariusofwest

dariusofwest Senior Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Great job!

16. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
  17. aaronventure

aaronventure Senior Member

Apr 10, 2017
    This sounds wonderful. Any ETA on this? I'm assuming you're still working on louder dynamics (since they're not in the demo)?

18. OP
    OP
    Rv5

Rv5 Senior Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Thank Aaron, bit tentative with a definite day at present but aiming for the coming week or so.

Here's a quick blast at ff:

Added reverb: EastWest Spaces S.Cal.Hall Brass 3.3sec

19. N.Caffrey

N.Caffrey Senior Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Sounds really sweet!

20. aaronventure

aaronventure Senior Member

Apr 10, 2017
    I love it! Thanks for the info. And thanks for the charitable price of the library, a true steal.

2FH is a standard part of my template - fantastic, very musical samples. I'm looking forward to the update!