What's new

Samples Spotlight RIP

The Darris closing YT channel because of unacceptable comments etc. Not really sure of the specifics but pretty sad if a pretty niche channel can’t be immune to this kind of BS.
He talks about it here.

Yeah, it's really a shame.

I just don't understand it. Time after time, reviews and sample news are posted by Samples Spotlight, Audio Spotlight, SampleCast and Sample library review... and they just drop off the page without any comments.
I thought everyone in this forum loved information about the newest libraries, but if that's the case, there's surely very little interest.

It also seems that SampleCast stopped putting out new videos, so it's getting harder and harder to find any videos of new sample libraries, other than the ones by the devs themselves, which is a real shame IMO.

The Darris is a classy guy and working professional who generously gave his time to help others.

When you spend enough time hearing someone's voice in a conversational manner--which is how he voiced his videos--it's easy to feel like you've actually spent time with them; like they are a friend.

But of course, he doesn't get to feel that on his end. I imagine it can be lonely to have that kind of one way conversation with so many people, to put so much time and effort into helping people and to get so little love back in return.

So, to the extent that it helps, I want to say I appreciate what he did. If we ever do hang out in real life, drinks will be on me, sir.

Last edited:
It sure is sad. Great reviews by my book. Which makes me think :
What was his last review, please? I'm sure I saw it but I cant seem to remember...
Afflatus.

We all love our samples and take our work seriously, and that's healthy, but some folks--probably just a tiny few--need to learn some sense of proportion.

They're just samples. Being a decent human being is far more important.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's really a shame.

I just don't understand it. Time after time, reviews and sample news are posted by Samples Spotlight, Audio Spotlight, SampleCast and Sample library review... and they just drop off the page without any comments.
I thought everyone in this forum loved information about the newest libraries, but if that's the case, there's surely very little interest.

It also seems that SampleCast stopped putting out new videos, so it's getting harder and harder to find any videos of new sample libraries, other than the ones by the devs themselves, which is a real shame IMO.

Yes, it's terrible that Chris had to stop doing his videos. We are friends and I've spoken to him in the last couple of days and when he explained the reasons why I am not surprised that he felt the need to step away. Sending love his way.

Thanks for the shout out about The Samplecast. Let me clarify a couple of things about the current state of affairs over here at Samplecast HQ:

Basically I'm a one-man-band and it takes me over a day to put the show together, not to mention all the time it takes to chase up developers for their reviews and information. I won't go into the gory details of why The Samplecast is STILL off air after running for 73 episodes, but it's basically a combination of a huge workload and some personal problems that needed dealing with. Occasionally I will livestream libraries, especially if a company has sent me something nice or there's a demand for a deeper look at something that's on offer. This is literally all I can do at the moment as unlike other channels such as Sample Library Review, I don't have a big team to support me.

Obviously no video show also means no podcast either (which is also a huge undertaking each week) but if you're on the lookout for a fun podcast about music tech may I direct you to Appetite 4 Production which is helmed by two of the funniest people I know. It's slanted more towards plugins and hardware but still covers a good range of topics. Their Music Tech Exam episode is an hour that everyone should listen to - lots of fun.

As for The Samplecast, I'm still active on Facebook to a certain extent and I get lovely emails and messages every day from those who miss the show - thank you so much for those. I can't promise to be back with the weekly shows in the near future, but you never know.

Reuben (and the Samplecat)
xxx

pZCBIlA.png

Last edited:
I don´t know his channel and I actually don´t watch much of these reviews. But man..closing because of some YT comments? I find that hilarous. There are always people who disagree and use heavy words. Sure that is not nice, but fuck that shit. Just be yourself, do what you like and fuck the rest. If you in public release videos especially on YT you have to expect that not everbody is nice, we are not in a perfect world. I don´t say that this is cool, but at least you should be aware of that. So at least I would care a flying f. Just ignore those comments. Get a thicker skin, I would say. I know it is not easy but in the end you get stronger. In the end you do those people a favor. Do you want that? I doubt. Thats their goal that you stop doing what you love.

Last edited:
I agree with Alexander. In the end, it's "sticks and stones". It's just words on YouTube. Any idiot out there can type those into a comment box. Don't stop doing something you like because someone might type a few nasty characters. The only thing even less interesting or relevant than people's asinine blathering is people's asinine typing.

Easy to say "its just some words" or "get a thicker skin" when you don't know the full details of what happened. Plenty of crazies on the internet so there could have been threats against his family or god knows what else. Maybe cut the guy some slack when we don't know the full story

The Darris closing YT channel because of unacceptable comments etc.
I understand that sometimes enough is enough - especially on internet if one has to deal with unacceptable comments etc. Nevertheless: this is 'too bad', because Samples Spotlight was my favourite site for sample library reviews.

Don't know what happend here, but it's sad to hear.

I don´t know his channel and I actually don´t watch much of these reviews. But man..closing because of some YT comments? I find that hilarous. There are always people who disagree and use heavy words. Sure that is not nice, but fuck that shit. Just be yourself, do what you like and fuck the rest. If you in public release videos especially on YT you have to expect that not everbody is nice, we are not in a perfect world. I don´t say that this is cool, but at least you should be aware of that. So at least I would care a flying f. Just ignore those comments. Get a thicker skin, I would say. I know it is not easy but in the end you get stronger. In the end you do those people a favor. Do you want that? I doubt. Thats their goal that you stop doing what you love.
I agree with Alexander. In the end, it's "sticks and stones". It's just words on YouTube. Any idiot out there can type those into a comment box. Don't stop doing something you like because someone might type a few nasty characters. The only thing even less interesting or relevant than people's asinine blathering is people's asinine typing.

Most youtubers don't talk about the full extend of the kind of harassment they get behind the scenes, things can get much worse than "a few mean comments". Like e.g. death/rape threats to members of your family/friends/bandmembers, fraudulent accusations of criminal activities made against you, leading to raids or SWATtings...
These are all things that youtubers have reported happening to them.
And the youtube algorithm is fine-tuned to spoon feed your videos to every mentally ill-adjusted troll because they have "high engagement" because they literally can't stop themselves from watching the full video and commenting on it.
Alex, imagine the dude that put so much effort into making the troll video about you, had instead put the same amount of effort into terrorizing your parents irl. You'd probably have a harder time just shaking that off. Some things you just can't ignore.

Don't know what happend here, but it's sad to hear.

Most youtubers don't talk about the full extend of the kind of harassment they get behind the scenes, things can get much worse than "a few mean comments". Like e.g. death/rape threats to members of your family/friends/bandmembers, fraudulent accusations of criminal activities made against you, leading to raids or SWATtings...
These are all things that youtubers have reported happening to them.
And the youtube algorithm is fine-tuned to spoon feed your videos to every mentally ill-adjusted troll because they have "high engagement" because they literally can't stop themselves from watching the full video and commenting on it.
Alex, imagine the dude that put so much effort into making the troll video about you, had instead put the same amount of effort into terrorizing your parents irl. You'd probably have a harder time just shaking that off. Some things you just can't ignore.

Martin, I agree. But I assumed from what I heard and read here that he decided to close his channel because of rude comments? Is that the case? Or not? Of course you can come with many assumptions but as long as it comes to troll comments on YT I would not close my reviewing channel just because some people are showing up telling somebody how douchy they find the reviews.

Martin, I agree. But I assumed from what I heard and read here that he decided to close his channel because of rude comments? Is that the case? Or not? Of course you can come with many assumptions but as long as it comes to troll comments on YT I would not close my reviewing channel just because some people are showing up telling somebody how douchy they find the reviews.
You should maybe read his explaination in his comments on his Youtube page. It seems there were threats made against his wife/family.

You should maybe read his explaination in his comments on his Youtube page. It seems there were threats made against his wife/family.

Oh I just read that there. I didn´t read that in first line so I assumed it was just trolling comments like youtube is full of that stuff. This things are crossing a line indeed.

I'd be curious to know, if those comments/threads came from actual users / VI-enthusiasts, or some random users (bots?) that spread that shit everywhere?

The Darris closing YT channel because of unacceptable comments etc. Not really sure of the specifics but pretty sad if a pretty niche channel can’t be immune to this kind of BS.
Hmm.... I feel like caving to trolls or rude people just encourages them more. I get negative comments on my YT from time to time. I just either ignore them or troll them back by being nice (which is unexpected I guess) or having a snarky comment.

Hmm.... I feel like caving to trolls or rude people just encourages them more. I get negative comments on my YT from time to time. I just either ignore them or troll them back by being nice (which is unexpected I guess) or having a snarky comment.
Not everyone gets the same level of abuse and not everyone has the same level of tolerance for it. I understand where you are coming from, and kudos to you if you won't budge to a few trolls, but you really can't put that blame/burden on others. I'd cut my losses on an endeavour like this in a heartbeat if it stressed me out too much. The last thing I'd wanna hear then is well-meaning people like you rubbing it in further.
The other day I've seen a video by a youtuber talking about why he uploads less and less - he gets comments like "I'm gonna run over your kid with my car when he comes home from school today" and on google the autocomplete reveals the most commonly searched query for his name to be "(his_nickname) wife", needless to say he never mentions or shows her in any videos, the only reason for people to look for her is for harassment/stalking. And he plays gigs with a band, he can't exactly hide from the public. Death threats get a lot scarier when you know people can trivially find you irl. Personally I really don't think it's fair or justified to point fingers at those people and say "You shouldn't quit, you're letting them win."

Top Bottom