What's new

SampleRobot, or Samplit or something else for sampling a guitar or piano ?

I think I've decided that Reaper can do a better job of automatic and semi-automatic sampling than probably SampleRobot, Samplit etc.

I just now am probably looking for the best program to help me in terms of workflow getting it into Kontakt, i.e. velocity layering, auto-looping, and anything else that is tedious in Kontakt that could be automated.

Loop Auditioneer is good for "auto-looping" - there is no truly automated looping, you still have to check and adjust.

For velocity layers you need to use Reaper's batch naming tools, the exact tool you use will depend on your workflow, I tend to use the item label tool (can't remember it's exact name) in the SWF extensions combined with wildcards/tokens in the Reaper render window. Kontakt has some auto-mapping capabilities based on the sample file names.

Kontakt has some auto-mapping capabilities based on the sample file names.
...so in theory I could have four separate Reaper projects if I am doing four velocity layers, and just name the region with the note I am exporting (like I did in the screenshot on page 1 of this thread), and then in the Reaper render window I could simply batch export the name as mysamplename_vel01_$region.wav, and that might give me , e.g. Bass_vel01_C3.wav

...and Kontakt would pick that up and sort them samples into velocity layers automatically (I've written vel01, I don't know yet what string Kontakt looks for in the filename.)

Just use one Reaper project for all articulations, dynamics, etc. I use 1 project per instrument.

I did a livestream a while back about my sample editing approach in Reaper which you might find useful.

The naming system in Kontakt is quite specific, it's explained in the user manual so read it and then name some samples manually and test out the auto-mapping so that you know what you're aiming for before you start naming in Reaper.

Top Bottom