What's new

Samplemodeling Solo & Ensemble Strings Released

David Cuny

Grand Poobah, Royal Order of WordBuilders
https://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products_strings.php (Samplemodeling Solo & Ensemble Strings) have been released.

The retail price is 399 EUR, with a time-limited 10% discount for existing SampleModeling customers.

Has anyone had a chance to try them out yet?

I've been saving up for this, and https://www.samplemodeling.com/en/demos_strings.php (the demos) sound nice (as expected). :cool: Most of the demos seem to focus on the sections, although there are several solo demos as well.

Mostly, I'm curious how well the work with a breath controller, since that's my main use case. (Yes, https://www.sample-modeling.com/Demos/STRINGS/Realtime_playing_with_a_breathcontroller.mp3 (there's demo of this online)).

I'm also curious how the parameters can be adjusted - the SM instruments sound lovely, but they generally have less options than the AM instruments.

Last edited:
Gorgeous sound, but I should like some drier demos..
The Paganini is perfect. The fast détache in the Vivaldi as well.
The Tchaikovsky is "soupy", with wa-wa phrasing and too-soft fingers in the legato (I don't mean "portamento"!) but the vibrato seems to start at the note onset which is is rare.

Been waiting a long time for this, and wow, those demos sound amazing. To my ears, this is as close to the real thing as I care about. Incredible. Credit to SampleModeling also for releasing MIDI files for 2 of the demos.

I may well be a customer for this - I own their other products and highly recommend them. However, please SampleModeling, we need to see more than just demos from you. These are highly processed, and whilst they show off what this can do in expert hands, I want to get more of a sense of what it will do in my, much less accomplished hands! For that, we need a video walkthrough of the software: take us through each of the instruments and ensembles one by one, and let us see how the software handles the myriad parameters you have painstakingly incorporated. Hopefully, the videos are soon to be released, now that the software is available?

But congratulations - from what we can see/hear so far, this is exactly what many of us would have hoped you would have produced.

I had the opportunity for beta testing. Here's a dryer example. Fun stuff: short and long notes without any key switches and just two controllers (dynamic and vibrato intensity).

It's funny, but none of the demos on the site impressed me. I went in wanting to like them, but came away feeling underwhelmed. BUT I have to say this sample sounds wonderful. Do they have this up on the site? because they really need to add it if they don't.

I had the opportunity for beta testing. Here's a dryer example. Fun stuff: short and long notes without any key switches and just two controllers (dynamic and vibrato intensity).

That is really beautiful and convincing.

I've been waiting for this, as I just want/need a single strings ensemble, so wanted to compare with my other contender, SCS. I know many will say they're too different and are for different purposes, but for me, I just want a single library that covers the (limited) type of strings ensemble timbre I'm after. When SCS next goes on sale, they'll be similar priced, so not sure at this point which to go for, but your demo strongly pushes me in this direction, as I just love the playability of the SM/AM approach.

Last edited:
It's funny, but none of the demos on the site impressed me. I went in wanting to like them, but came away feeling underwhelmed. BUT I have to say this sample sounds wonderful. Do they have this up on the site? because they really need to add it if they don't.

I liked the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto demo. I thought the violin gave a really really great expressive performance ... something that I felt was a tad missing from the ensemble sound.

I also did deep beta testing and several demos. The classical music demos are not heavily processed: they are the dry sound positioned with MIR Pro 24 Synchron stage venue, and nothing else.

I’m also available to share dry examples if you like. Just contact me.

It's funny, but none of the demos on the site impressed me. I went in wanting to like them, but came away feeling underwhelmed.
Funny how we hear things so differently - I know you're not a fan of Albion One, but for me, it's my favorite library! Neither of us incorrect, just you have your ears, and I hear through mine!

BUT I have to say this sample sounds wonderful. Do they have this up on the site? because they really need to add it if they don't.
Agree completely with you on that!

Went to hear the demos, not impressed. Then came here and heard Saxer's demo and am now interested again LOL. We gotta hear dry, unprocessed demos!!
Same here, I'm a huge sm brass fan, but the demos did not work on me either. Then the @Saxer demo gave me exactly what I was expecting from this lib. So I'll wait for more user demos.

I would be very very surprised if it didn't. @Fa I'm assuming there's intensity as well as speed control over vibrato?
Of course. As you say it’s a must for solos in the SM style. And less obvious is that in the ensemble, orchestral vibrato is also modulated with expressive vibrato ( more synchronized and deep) independent controller. That way you may play with vibrato amount cc1 vibrato rate cc19 and expressive vibrato cc99 and getting a very wide range of combinations in real time.

It's not mentioned onthe SM site..
Probably it’s not very directly explained because it was a common feature of all the SM instruments, but yes it is mentioned in the section dedicated to the technology ( anechoic recording and dry samples modulation enables perfect dynamic and vibrato seamless management).

Top Bottom