1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samplemodeling Horn Legato

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Pixelpoet1985, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Pixelpoet1985

Pixelpoet1985 Senior Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Hello,

I recently bought Samplemodeling brass and really love it so far.

But how do you achieve a more pronounced, slurred legato sound like, for example, in Cinebrass Core? Is this possible at all?

2. ZeeCount

ZeeCount Senior Member

May 16, 2015
    New Zealand
    Try using the C0 keyswtich to force split portamentos.

3. Batrawi

Batrawi Senior Member

Jul 9, 2016
    reducing the transition flutter (cc22) helps the legato to be more pronounced as you would use to hear in other sample-based libraries (since they don't really capture the flutter noise as in SM)

4. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    How slurred? Do you want to hear a bit of the slide? SM in my experience has a pretty flexible range between a quick legato and a smoother slide. I think I'm not quite sure what you're missing from SM.

5. OP
    OP
    Pixelpoet1985

Pixelpoet1985 Senior Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I know that there is a smoother slide (portamento, right?). But it doesn't sound like the legato in Cinebrass, or is this the portamento in SM?

I actually want to have a sound like in Leia's Theme (Star Wars).

The sound at the beginning at 0:17.

I have to add that I don't have a breath controller, I play only with keyboard. Maybe it's easier to achieve with a controller.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. meradium

meradium Senior Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Just use the lowest velocity possible and make sure samples overlap? :)

7. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Yes. Lowest velocity gives you portamento. It's a little fiddly to play that soft, so sometimes the easier way is to play the notes and make the one you want to slide up the lowest possible velocity, then adjust the timing of the note you're sliding to.