What's new

Samplebrain

timprebble

Sound designer, Composer, Sound library developer
This looks interesting:
A custom sample mashing app designed by Aphex Twin.

Samplebrain chops samples up into a 'brain' of interconnected small sections called blocks which are connected into a network by similarity. It processes a target sample, chopping it up into blocks in the same way, and tries to match each block with one in it's brain to play in realtime.

This allows you to interpret a sound with a different one. As we worked on it (during 2015 and 2016) we gradually added more and more tweakable parameters until it became slightly out of control.

Samplebrain is free software - you can download the application on our gitlab page here.

Big thank you to Nik Gaffney for building the Apple M1 version.

Bee_Abney

This looks interesting:
A custom sample mashing app designed by Aphex Twin.

Samplebrain chops samples up into a 'brain' of interconnected small sections called blocks which are connected into a network by similarity. It processes a target sample, chopping it up into blocks in the same way, and tries to match each block with one in it's brain to play in realtime.

This allows you to interpret a sound with a different one. As we worked on it (during 2015 and 2016) we gradually added more and more tweakable parameters until it became slightly out of control.

Samplebrain is free software - you can download the application on our gitlab page here.

Big thank you to Nik Gaffney for building the Apple M1 version.

That sounds fantastic. It's different to Novum in how it works, but it shares that synth's ability to divide samples in a non-temporal way. I'll definitely be trying it out!

Bee_Abney

I tried to use it but couldn't work it out. I'll try again, going through the manual; and there is a sample session to try too; but I'd love to hear any reports of success and how it sounded.

antret

I saw this the other day and my interest was piqued as well. Haven’t downloaded yet….thanks for sharing initial thoughts… there are a lot of options to tweak… that’s for sure!

Just mentioning as a possible alternative/ addition… Puremagnetik has a plug-in that seems to remind me of some of this functionality. It’s their Ember plug-in. They call it a ‘micro sound collage machine’! Very simple interface, so not nearly the control of this (could be good or bad depending on preferences).

richmwhitfield

I tried the demo session and the sound coming out of the app was just a little too glitchy (I assume intentionally that way) for me. I also tried to load in some base samples and then a loop to try it myself but it didn't work. I should spend more time on it, but to be honest Infiltrator 2 does everything I could possibly want in terms of glitch.

Top Bottom