What's new

Sample Modeling Trombone Spikes CPU in Cubase

gurucomposer

Hi everyone. Has anyone else had this problem. The Sample Modeling Trombone is virtually unusable in Cubase, at least for me. It spikes the cpu just by playing one note, and my whole project starts stuttering uncontrollably.

I have Mac Pro 2013 6 core, 64 gigs of RAM. Sample Modeling is being stored on 7200 RPM external drive.

All the other instruments work beautifully except for the trombone. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas?

Thank you!

PerryD

Are you using one instance of the trombone in Kontakt by itself? I think the T-bone uses a lot of cpu for the slide.

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I have had some problems with CPU spiking but I think it's because my PC is just running so much in a template, that it just couldn't handle the SM Trombone. I have bought another computer to add a slave so once it is up and running I shall see if it fixed it and hopefully they are just seriously CPU intensive and nothing wrong with them. They are too amazing not to use. I don't know whether having a single instance per Konakt Instance or VEPro instance or muliple instances within Kontakt is the way to go so hopefully someone can answer that.

OP
gurucomposer

gurucomposer

Hi and thank you for the responses. Ya, I have every single instrument in my template in their own instances. Ya, it is definitely the slide, that spikes the CPU. I have a super powerful CPU though, so I was wondering if it also had to with Cubase. Or maybe it would run better on an SSD?

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Hi and thank you for the responses. Ya, I have every single instrument in my template in their own instances. Ya, it is definitely the slide, that spikes the CPU. I have a super powerful CPU though, so I was wondering if it also had to with Cubase. Or maybe it would run better on an SSD?

All my samples are on SSDs. Everything runs better on an SSD. Without VEPro, Cubase was actually unusable. I had so much CPU spiking with just 4 instrument tracks with 1 x Kontakt and 1 x Albion 1 Legacy. I forgot to say. The CPU spiking happened only when trying to use Asio Guard 2. Obviously Asio Guard 2 doesn't work with VEPro at the minute but I couldn't use Asio Guard 2 before I bought VEPro. This kind of thing is highly annoying!

Last edited:

Winslow

In general SSD helps all sample libraries. But all SM instruments don't benefit so much from SSD compared to other libraries because we are talking about physical modeling. So the patches used are already very small. It doesn't help much to load only small buffers sizes into ram to save ram. What you need is CPU power. The only two things that help are upgrade your CPU or put those SM instruments on a slave machine to have a second CPU just for them.

Do you mean that other SM instruments work fine compared to the SM trombone or other sample libraries work fine?

Saxer

Same Mac here (exept 8core) and Logic X - no spikes here. I can play up to three trombones in unison with windcontroller.

OP
gurucomposer

gurucomposer

Hi and thank you all for the response. I think the problem must be with Cubase then. Cubase also reacts poorly to Kontaks tempo sync, so I wonder if the trombone slide is tempo synched in some way. I don't know I'm just guessing here, but it is weird that yours works perfectly on logic, but mine doesn't work well in Cubase.

NYC Composer

What's the rest of your project? How much RAM are you using on that project? What's your buffer size? Which version of Cubase and which Mac system?

I'll say this-I have SSDs in both my early 2008 MP and my Mini slave, but the Mini slave uses Thunderbolt and has an i7. The SM trombones do work better on it than on the MP.

Top Bottom