What's new

Sample Modeling The Trumpet v3

Pablocrespo

I did today a small test with SM brass and trumpet 3.0
It´s using the virtual soundstage included in trumpets and trombones, and fed to a full orch spaces preset. The trumpets have a bit of eq to tame the high freqs.

the final mix has a little comp and eq, bare in mind it´s a quick test, and feedback is welcomed

I have a mock up of finlandia which I should update with the trumpet 3.0 (lass + BWW)

dreddiknight

I've been lookingat Sample Modeling recently, and was wondering what peoplethink think of their horns?
I'm looking for a jazzy/funky sound and am finding certain things difficult with Vir 2's Mojo Horns. The trumpet and saxophones are what I'm looking at.
I was also wondering if they ever have sales?
Sorry if this is a hijack, but Ii thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread.

kurtvanzo

Capt. Zorro
You'll need a good expression pedal (or a $20 volume pedal with USB adapter from http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php ) but both the saxes and trumpets are tops- quality sound with expression from soft to blown out, with vibrato, growl, tight staccato that equally goes from soft to brassy. They also work great with a breathe controller, but I get by fine with just a keyboard. If you have the $$$ to purchase both sets and grab Carpenter's Trombone, you have a great funk section. :) Or SM Trombones if your loaded. ;)

http://ivyaudio.com/Carpenter-Trombone

Sample Modeling rarely does sales, but occasionally they will discount something new or that has a new update- I picked up the trumpet's on version 2 and the version 3 upgrade was (I think) $35. good investment ;) the version 3 is clearer, feels punchier and works well in the mix- the saxes work even better.

Last edited:

dreddiknight

You'll need a good expression pedal (or a $20 volume pedal with USB adapter from http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php ) but both the saxes and trumpets are tops- quality sound with expression from soft to blown out, with vibrato, growl, tight staccato that equally goes from soft to brassy. They also work great with a breathe controller, but I get by fine with just a keyboard. If you have the $$$ to purchase both sets and grab Carpenter's Trombone, you have a great funk section. :)

http://ivyaudio.com/Carpenter-Trombone

Sample Modeling rarely does sales, but occasionally they will discount something new or that has a new update- I picked up the trumpet's on version 2 and the version 3 upgrade was (I think) $35. good investment ;)
Thank you! I got the feeling they didn't do sales. Yeah i have an expression pedal, and that trombone looks great. Never heard of it before this so appreciate the heads up.

NYC Composer

I recently did three MIDI demos for an independent Brazilian bluesrock/funk artist, adding horns to rhythm tracks he sent. I used all SampleModeling for the demos. The client was knocked out and gave me the gig, which was later done by two sections of live horns, two tracks used five horns each and one track had ten. All mocked up with SM only. The expression pedal or breath controller is crucial, as are the keyswitches on the trumpets and bones.

studioj

I did today a small test with SM brass and trumpet 3.0
It´s using the virtual soundstage included in trumpets and trombones, and fed to a full orch spaces preset. The trumpets have a bit of eq to tame the high freqs.

the final mix has a little comp and eq, bare in mind it´s a quick test, and feedback is welcomed

I have a mock up of finlandia which I should update with the trumpet 3.0 (lass + BWW)
Great sound! nicely done.

Looks great and seems like a great option, thanks :) but PC only. :/
Really? Is it not VSTi? Wow. It must be Direct X then. I had no idea. It just appears on my list. Sorry Mac Koolaid drinkers. You lost out on something cool because of your choice. No worries. I just got paid back. I can never use Alchemy 2 because of my choice.

reddognoyz

afaik the Sample modeling instruments in Kontakt and SWAM aren't physically modeled, they are built with samples that are time aligned so there is no phasing etc. when crossfading through the dynamic levels.

LondonMike

I've recently bought the saxophones (SWAM) and I'm on the brink of getting the trombone and the trumpet. But, the one thing that makes me apprehensive is that I've found the saxes very hard to integrate into an orchestral context. I've been messing around with reverb settings such as one I found in a video by Blakus for the B2 reverb.

The saxes are very expressive and really great fun to just play and I bet the trumpet and trombone are likewise.
I see that the V.3 have the ability to be placed in a soundstage so I hope they will blend into an orchestra better.

For jazz/rock I think the saxes work well and I expect the others to as well but I may just hang on to see what the new Straight Ahead Sample's soon to be released library is like.

synthetic

I don't care if they impulse responsed a banana peel they are the most realistic solo instruments you can get. I have a breath controller (like, every one) but I rarely use them. I use a fader controller, one finger on CC1+11 (actually I think SM doesn't use 11), another finger on vibrato speed and depth whatever those are. If you rise and fall depth and speed together it sounds amazing, like "OK that can't be a sample." I have the trumpet, horn and tuba, I haven't bought the trombone or other instruments yet. Often I'll do a pass of horn or trumpet section like Spitfire Symphonic, then I'll layer the Sample Modeling on top of that. Blend those together and it sounds hella phat.

Top Bottom