What's new

Sample Library Depreciation thread

I don’t think my premise has anything to do with politics whatsoever. It has to do with business policies and practices of the purveyors of sample libraries.

As a result, “Sample Talk” seems an apt place for it :)

Unfortunately it always steers to comments on piracy which is also a beat the dead horse.

So you guys are happy with the present way of doing things then?

I think we all agree it could be better but if you consider the developers comrades instead be overlords then we all want to think of the beat balance of cost, usability, and practicality for both sides concerns.

I’ve not seen many orchestral libraries on the UVI platform but I would be totally fine if more developers moved away from kontakt to UVI/iLok to offer 15 day trials or what not.

So you guys are happy with the present way of doing things then?

Au contraire, I'm with you on re-sale and refunds of libraries. Funnily enough one of the few developers who offers this is VSL, who are regularly given a kicking here over pricing and their new dongle insurance policies.

I just don't this changing anytime soon....

I think we all agree it could be better but if you consider the developers comrades instead be overlords then we all want to think of the beat balance of cost, usability, and practicality for both sides concerns.

I’ve not seen many orchestral libraries on the UVI platform but I would be totally fine if more developers moved away from kontakt to UVI/iLok to offer 15 day trials or what not.
Au contraire, I'm with you on re-sale and refunds of libraries. Funnily enough one of the few developers who offers this is VSL, who are regularly given a kicking here over pricing and their new dongle insurance policies.

Good lord-overlords? Where did I say anything like that?

I appreciate the creative work that developers do to help me in mine. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a business aspect to all of this, and these are business matters I’m trying to address.
To reiterate, they involve license transfer and trials. Some do, some don’t. I think all should. I also think quality control could improve across the board, with some obvious exceptions.

Look. The competitive nature of the business has resulted in pricing coming down. That’s good for the consumer. However, if QC also suffers, it’s kind of a wash.

Also, if libraries are released at a furious pace and one buys more of them (with less QC) the gross profits are the same for a company. Instead of buying a $600 library, you buy three $200 libraries-same same.

If companies REALLY wanted to be consumer friendly, they’d address this license transfer/trial period idea. The fact that they don’t says something about their priorities.

I suspect the dongle is precisely why they can do that. How many developers offer transfers, resell and refund? how many of those use a dongle? that might give more context to why it is this way.
Good lord-overlords? Where did I say anything like that?

I appreciate the creative work that developers do to help me in mine. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a business aspect to all of this, and these are business matters I’m trying to address.
To reiterate, they involve license transfer and trials. Some do, some don’t. I think all should. I also think quality control could improve across the board, with some obvious exceptions.

Look. The competitive nature of the business has resulted in pricing coming down. That’s good for the consumer. However, if QC also suffers, it’s kind of a wash.

Also, if libraries are released at a furious pace and one buys more of them (with less QC) the gross profits are the same for a company. Instead of buying a $600 library, you buy three $200 libraries-same same.

If companies REALLY wanted to be consumer friendly, they’d address this license transfer/trial period idea. The fact that they don’t says something about their priorities.

I imagine this might be related to 8Dio which often gets criticism for the volume of their releases as well as the quality. Again I think we all want the same goal, i just wish someone would actually speak about the practicality rather than just the flat desire for developers to make it happen. Maybe its naive and too optimistic but i just don't think a lot of these developers here are going into this with the profit as their only incentive you know? I get the feeling that even the times when they make something I don't love, they're still doing it with a certain level of quality and passion behind the concept. Quality Control matters and I don't know if i feel like thats been lacking lately (except with maybe Auddict....sorry...) its ok...i suppose we've run the course of this topic. I stand by the idea that moving away from kontakt is probably good, and could also maybe solve this issue.

It's about this point in these threads that someone says "it's a shame TrySound never developed properly". That was as good an answer to these dilemmas as I've found. (sorry if someone got there before me and I missed it).

Never knew it was called TrySound...

I only knew it as the 'chrome remote desktop' feature.

Yes. It still exists, run by Best Service - https://www.bestservice.com/try-sound.html - but sadly it seems the only products on it now are their own and VSL SEs. I remember it was instrumental in my decision to buy Symphobia 1. You booked a 20min session, and played the instrument in their servers. Latency was high and there was birdsong over the output, but was happy with both of these compromises.

I'd have thought today the tech is a lot simpler and smoother than 10 years ago. Devs should look into this, no reason why they couldn't set it up themselves.

Agreed, it could replace the experience of travelling over to a friend's to try out a library you are interested about. Maybe VI Control, as a community, can try to start one based on existing users allowing trial of their own libraries? Some serious software development efforts required here....

it could replace the experience of travelling over to a friend's to try out a library you are interested about. Maybe VI Control, as a community, can try to start one based on existing users allowing trial of their own libraries? Some serious software development efforts required here....

Interesting idea, but I don't think it could be based on existing users. It would need to be set up as a dedicated service, and require developers to grant NFR licenses. It would make sense to pool resources though rather than devs doing it individually.

That's my only beef with them. I like you can grow an orchestra collection starting with special editions.

Top Bottom